Moroccan Virgin!

Where you've been and what you done
Nickw909

Moroccan Virgin!

Post by Nickw909 »

Now that I have your attention!

Unfortunately there are no stories of de-flowering young maidens. (Well not yet, I am still on the road...)

Having travelled down from Santander via a few trails through Portugal that I'm sure Tramp and Minky will be telling you about in a few weeks, I stopped at a place about 80km north of Algerciras on the Monday night, ready for a quick ride down to see Sr. Carlos the famous ticket agent on the Tuesday morning.

Ticket bought for the 12 o'clock ferry to Tangers Med and I'm at the port waiting in the queue at about 11:20.

Getting to the port was straightforward, follow the signs for 'Puerto' off the A-7, through the tunnel, a slow ride past the port entrance and the rather nice looking but stern faced policewoman and follow the signs for Tanger.

Gets to the checkin gates, a few cars and motorhomes and old vans waiting already. Get my ticket and passport checked. 12 o'clock comes and goes... must be on Spanish time then... turns out we're on Moroccan time as the ferry finally leaves at 3pm!

This was quite funny, as we arrived at the dock there was this boat reversing into the dock, so all the 'RV' crowd get the cameras out to video/photo its arrival. It parked in the next bay and was not our ferry, they did it all again when the ferry with FRS written all over it arrived.

Now sing along all together...

“If you ever go across the sea to Maroc”
“Be sure NOT to go with FRS Maroc Express”

Not sure if I was unlucky, or expecting too much, but they had no idea or suitable straps to tie the bike down, so I did it myself. Wasn't ideal, but it's only a short gentle crossing so it survived ok.

After another long wait to get off the boat and even longer wait to get the temporary import done for the bike then a visit to the money changer and get some insurance, which is just on your left before you get to the main exit, I was off! However it was now about 16:30 and I wanted to get to Chefchaouen. about 100km away.

Decided to avoid the motorways, so off at the first exit. Past through some not so great places for the first 10km or so then it was out into the countryside, roads for a bit 'interesting' for about 40km, narrow and every few km there was a patch of pot holed gravel to negotiate. That and the trucks coming in from all directions!! I eventually dropped onto the N2 which is a main road and in good condition. Got to Chefchaouen about 18:40 and found the Hotel Madrid with a 24hr parking garage next door.

I posted this on facebook and a friend asked what I was doing in a brothel.

A bite to eat after a long day.

Welcome to the kasbah!

Nickw909

Re: Moroccan Virgin!

Post by Nickw909 »

Day 2.

Wednesday morning I was greeted with pissing down rain. Not exactly what I had imagined when thinking of Morocco. Quick check of the forecast showed rain all day... arh deep joy!

Due to the weather I decided on Fez as the next destination, a little over 200km away and thought best to stick to the main drag, this being the N13. There are a couple of smaller roads that cut across towards Fez but not knowing what the roads would be like in quite heavy rain I battled with the mad drivers and lorries, not sure what the safer option was??

Still raining as I got to the outskirts of Fez I was sat at some lights when a scooter appears by my side with a mid 50's man in a pink helmet! Trying not to be put off by the helmet he asks if I need a hotel with parking. I would normally not take anyone up on this sort of offer in this situation, but I had had enough of the rain and decided to follow him. After a short ride through the madness that is Fez traffic we arrive at a very nice looking small hotel. After a bit of haggling a price was agreed, a little more than I paid the night before but in a much nicer place. Guessing I either got a good deal or got ripped off last night!
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Day 3.

The next day the sky's were grey but it wasn't raining... yet! I had pretty much decided to stay in Fez another day but wanted somewhere closer to the Medina. Most of my hotel choices are being based on the hotel database from the most excellent Morocco Knowledgebase site, thanks Tim! So picked one close to the Medina and set off into the madness of Fez traffic. It's not quite that bad, but you do need eye's up your .......... Of course the GPS sent me to within a stones throw and then wanted me to go up a one way street, I doubt many would have batted and eyelid but I ignored the command. This caused me to have to do a loop around, I ignored the GPS for a while and circled back to where I had arrived from the day before to attack from another direction. This time I made it into the outer walls of the Medina and quickly to the hotel. Bike parked, quick change and of to get lost in the Medina in the rain.

Can't go to the Medina in Fez without seeing the tannery.

Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Day 4.

Friday awoke to clear sky's and sunshine, this is more like it. On the road by 8:30 heading for Ifrane and the Cedar Forest (thanks Bonniebird). Well the sunshine lulled me into a false sense of summer as I had not put my extra winter layer on. Slowly rising up towards Ifrane the temperature started to drop. What's that white stuff I can see in the distance? Ifrane and the Cedar Forest had a good coating of snow! I did however manage to see a barbary ape! I had planned to do some tracks through the mountains, but the further I rose the thicker the snow got so I chickened out and stuck to the roads. I had expected to see some snow but not this much! Sitting at a petrol station cafe looking at my GPS wandering where to go...... Merzouga. Bound to be a bit warmer there. It got down to about 3 deg going over the top of the Atlas mountains, within about 30 minutes I had dropped down the other side and it was 23 deg! A big difference in a short distance. I rolled into Merzouga at 17:30 and a nice 26 deg having done 480km.

At just over 2000m in the Atlas.

Ziz Valley.

Dunes at Merzouga.

Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Good stuff Nick
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I am jealous...so how was the brothel!

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

can get pretty remote from there nick .

.... please please be carful on your own as im sure you will..text somone your gps coordinates if your on the desert pistes

looking forward to your next report

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cool stuff Nick, yep becareful in desert as we want to hear more of your adventures... Lucky sod,
Ive got man flue...
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Yeh nice one Nick and like Steve says be carefull out back on your own (thumbs)
Phil
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Loving this. Keep it coming please. (thumbs)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”