Thetford trails morning Part Deux.

Where you've been and what you done
mark1150

Thetford trails morning Part Deux.

Post by mark1150 »

What a great day I've just had, very good company and great trails, what more could you ask for?
Met up with Udders, and GB this morning for a ride around some of the Thetford Forest trails and had a great time.
After a splash and dash at the filling station Udders guided us onto some of his favourite trails in and around the forest. Boy was I surprised at the vast expanse of land available for to play on, it went on for miles all with varying degrees of technical riding.
The trails are mostly sand based so quite loose under wheel, with well travelled ruts to tram line you, which can prove interesting especially when try to break out of the sides on some of the deeper ones.
IMG_0013_2011-04-16.JPG
IMG_0013_2011-04-16.JPG (91.09 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Some of it was as you'd expect from a forest overhanging branches, with grassy banks on either side, and in others it was amazing to see how open it was, we even got down with nature, with loads of Sheep nursing beautiful little Lambs on the open land, I got my first sighting of Stoats dashing stealthily [and bloomin quickly]; from cover to cover, probably on the prowl for Rabbits.
The one striking thing about the whole day was just how silent it was when we cut our engines, the trees and hedgerows really make a good job of acting as noise batters, you'd never think that major roads were within a mile or two away.
IMG_0014_2011-04-16.JPG
IMG_0014_2011-04-16.JPG (72.39 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
I was on my first outing on TKC 80's to which they made the ride a bit easier than had I been shod with the previous Tourance's, as I'm just getting to know them and haven't built up a trusting relationship (the tyres not Udders and GB) I'd like to put a few more off road miles on them before a proper judgement, but initially as a stranger to the trails they gave a bit of extra confidence.
Enough of that and onwards down the trail, after a brief stop at the cross trails pictured below, everything was going well with all runners and riders still mounted, the going was reasonably firm all be it loose, when the front end of the GS suddenly washed out, after trying to control it, the front wheel buried it's self in deep sand; I decided that it was a lost cause and down we went.
IMG_0019_2011-04-16.JPG
IMG_0019_2011-04-16.JPG (74.54 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_0022_2011-04-16.JPG
IMG_0022_2011-04-16.JPG (76.11 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_0018_2011-04-16.JPG
IMG_0018_2011-04-16.JPG (75.19 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_0017_2011-04-16.JPG
IMG_0017_2011-04-16.JPG (62.53 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Funny the things that go through your mind in a tumble, Lancaster Mick somehow popped into my head.... YES LANCASTER MICK!... and his showroom request on picking up a dead GS.
All the you tube, and on line advise kicked in ;and with bars closest to me to the rear I turned my back to her, grabbed said bar and grab rail and started to heave the old girl onto her feet, with that Udders appeared and helped me right her, but I was amazed at how easy the whole thing was, as it was something I'd been dreading.
When she was upright Udders said that that was the same spot in which his mate had come to grief, it transpired that he had told GB where the sand trap was, but I was somehow not privvy to the info as I was on knobblies, and they wanted to know how good they were....
Not well when you dodn't know it's there! :lol: :lol:
It's been a good few years since I've ridden any sort of sand, (Frencham Ponds about 10 years ago) and then it was on a 250 , so all in all I thought I'd done quite well considering that I'm old and frail.
The surprise of the day was GB, it was his first foray off road... ever! and on a 1200 GS good for him, he did everything we did and I fancy the bond between man and machine was glued a little bit firmer, as he found out just how capable the heavy machines were off road, HOT WORK INNIT?
We ended up on arguably the best trails of the day with Woops! 'sorry GB' for the most part, and it was terrific.
At the end I felt fulfilled, satisfied and happy, the GS is a great bit of kit, which cossets you on road and surprises you off road, will we be back for more of the same? Yes please!
Finally a huge thank you to Udders for giving his time and sharing his routes, very much appreciated mate.
The last couple of pix are just random ones of the day and the very last is yours truly being a little frivolous.

IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG (72.09 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_0025_2011-04-16.JPG
IMG_0025_2011-04-16.JPG (59.09 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
GB

Re: Thetford trails morning Part Deux.

Post by GB »

Awesome day, the only disappointment for me was I had to leave early, then when I got home she says "you're back early!" I could have strangled her :laugh: :laugh: Great day, more of the same please. The GS is such a great bit of kit, really impressed me off road with only a few arse nipping moments (mainly due to Udders advice and trail choice) then ragged it home taking the Tourences to the edge :evil: Cracking day out :)
Finally back on a GS :D
GB

Post by GB »

Your crash earns you some more Karma ;)
Udders

Post by Udders »

Yep, had a good little ride round. Great company always helps! Funny that the bike with the knobblies was the only one to end up on it's side! Glad you both enjoyed it! I did.
GB

Post by GB »

Well I enjoyed it when he fell :evil: :whistle:
GB

Post by GB »

A motley crew
IMG00100-20110416-1214.jpg
IMG00100-20110416-1214.jpg (83.37 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Udders wrote:Yep, had a good little ride round. Great company always helps! Funny that the bike with the knobblies was the only one to end up on it's side! Glad you both enjoyed it! I did.
Are you sure you weren't laying mine fields in a past life? :lol:
There I was minding my own business on reasonably firm going and wham..... :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to an encore for sure, but without a dying swan impression! :woohoo:

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Oh as an aside, I know 99% of peeps will do this naturally but it's worth re-enforcing the creed or code, we had to open quite a few gates to gain access to some of the trails, to which if a gate is shut once you've passed through please be kind enough to close it again afterwards.
Thank you.
Mark.

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
hornet

Post by hornet »

GB wrote:A motley crew
IMG00100-20110416-1214.jpg

Its great to see people trying some greenlaning and it shows that you can

(weather permitting) take a big bike out on the trails without full on knobblies.

Its also refreshing to be on a forum where people meet up and go riding together rather

than just bitching at each other.

just wondering did you carry on from this picture or U turn.

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
GB

Post by GB »

Carried on, not even half way on that picture if I recall correctly.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”