The Tuli Block Botswana Southern Africa

Where you've been and what you done
OB1

Re: The Tuli Block Botswana Southern Africa

Post by OB1 »

Mark Young wrote:I think we all did... :(

Shame 2012 could have been the "ABR Go Safari"
I'm up for that... just so that I can get away from the South East during the Olympics! :woohoo:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
African Biker

Post by African Biker »

Another great place in Namibia, one of my favourites, you can literally ride for days and not see another soul. Like this pic in the Doros crater; Northern Namibia.
Attachments
Doros Crater.JPG
Doros Crater.JPG (48.34 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
Roadcat

Post by Roadcat »

African Biker wrote:Another great place in Namibia, one of my favourites, you can literally ride for days and not see another soul. Like this pic in the Doros crater; Northern Namibia.
I have to agree with you there, Namibia really is a great place for biking. In fact I'm going to be there, riding motorbikes and drinking Windhoek lager (the king of beers) while you lot are all huddled around your stoves at the boil.:woohoo:
Mr Free Market

Post by Mr Free Market »

OB1 wrote:
Mark Young wrote:I think we all did... :(

Shame 2012 could have been the "ABR Go Safari"
I'm up for that... just so that I can get away from the South East during the Olympics! :woohoo:
+ 1 to that. The South East & London are going to be gridlocked. I feel a bit of a trip coming on
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
Mark Young

Post by Mark Young »

Can we hire bike out there ?
South East England ABR Group!
Roadcat

Post by Roadcat »

Yes you can Mark. There are several bike hire companies in Cape Town, Jo'burg, Durban and Pretoria. The roads are good and getting to Namibia from Cape Town or Joburg should only take a day. Botswana would take longer but if you had long enough you could go to Botswana via the Caprivi strip in the north of Namibia. Lovely part of the country.
Mark Young

Post by Mark Young »

Can you post up routes/timescales for ideas. Oh and of course who is the tour guide :lol:
I think most people can get two/three weeks realistically.
Can you think of varying routes taking between 7 & 17 days on the move?
South East England ABR Group!
African Biker

Post by African Biker »

hey roadcat get in touch when you are over here ok ??
African Biker

Post by African Biker »

Hi Mark, the biggest bikes 4 hire is BMW but they are pricy, there are other guy's starting from about fifty pound per day. 7 days is nothing in this part of the world, seventeen now we are talking :):)
royle100

Post by royle100 »

Hi mark

Can second (or third?) the comment on Namibia. Great for biking. Big open spaces! Need a bit of time as distances are big. I did 5 day trip from Cape Town in 2009 to Sousvlei dunes (trying to load photos in ride report section, but struggling!). Hired a gs800 for about £80/day but you may get better deals on longer hires. Must say my appreciation of LWD (Ewan & co) went up significantly after tackling dirt and sand roads on the trip!

Whole of southern Africa is good for biking though. See if you can find an article on last years GS Challange which took place in SA, Leshoto and Mozambique.

I'll see if I can find some of the bike hire web sites in SA / Namib. June/Jul/Aug is good time to go as winter in southern hemisphere - dry and decent temp.

Cheers
Tony
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."....Easy Rider

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”