The 'Official' 2013 Aragón HISS Report

Where you've been and what you done
rem47

Re: The 'Official' 2013 Aragón HISS Report

Post by rem47 »

But it was not all hard trails:

Glad I took this picture as I don't remember much of the evening - local wine in a bottle with no label.
BBQ.jpg
BBQ.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 2491 times

Spectacular gorge with the old and new bridges over Rio Esera
gorge.jpg
gorge.jpg (118.3 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
The pass between Sort and Vielha - made interesting as the local farmers had driven a huge herd of incontinent beasts through all the hairpin bends
Pass.jpg
Pass.jpg (43.93 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
It was a pleasure riding with you amigos!
tresamigos.jpg
tresamigos.jpg (41.31 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Phil and I passed through the Desierto de Monegros - me having just gone onto reserve as we entered. Rotopax was my security.
Monegros.jpg
Monegros.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Sunrise in Argenten-Chateaux then home
sunrise_argenten.jpg
sunrise_argenten.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks Richard for your fab posts and pix. You've really caught the whole sessence of the HISS this year - including the adventures just getting there and back, I'm really glad the cloud stayed off the Port de la Bonaigüa pass for you on your ride over to Vielha :)

It's funny how folks' 'off-trail' escapades are only coming to light now that the headmaster's cane is firmly locked back in its cupboard :evil:

I think I can guess the one Johhny and the Jets went down with the roots and the water crossing at the bottom - did one like that with my mate Miguel Angel in spring that I specifically refer to in the Route 1E trail. But I didn't see ny of these sorts of stockedes that you unwittingly rode into in all of my travels around the zone.
spanish johnny wrote:Hi Richard

Bravas means brave, rough (as in Costa Brava) or wild - Also hot and spicy when referring to food like bravas sauce
Res in my dictionary says animal or beast, Google translates it as beef.
My gut feeling is that you were looking at wild pigs being reared for hunting or their meat. The terrain is better suited to wild pigs. Either way they are dangerous, hence Peligro. They are fearless and stand their ground if you come across them or if they feel threatened they will charge you. Did I mention the huge tusks???

Simon, perhaps this could be a kind of initiation for new HISS members. LOL :unsure:

I'm glad you all made it out alive
Johnny - 'rezas' definitely means cattle, i.e. cows, here you seee them being herded from the Sierra Morena to the Sierra de Albarracín, where you lot evidently found the stockade for the lively, agressive, testosterone saturated machos :)

The wild pigs that you are talking about are wild boar - there's no way these are kept in any kind of corral or stockade. They are quite dangerous as obstakles you should avoid riding into, but all the talk I've ever heard of thier ferocity is largely urban myth, we come across them quite often walking with our dogs in the Pyrenees!

Otherwise you may be thinking of the Iberian pig, the ones that make the very best ham and are often referred to as semi-wild. But this really means that they've never been selectively bred and they're quite docile - wel as docile as any porcine is when they want to be! :laugh:

These are kept in fenced encloseures, which makes the region around Cadiz and up into Extremadura look oddly like English parkland, but not in Teruel, who's ham, despite being some of the best you can get - ask Dermot and Amanda - isn't made from 'Iberico'.

More photos from me soon - hopefully one from the BBQ in which Polly isn't looking as if she's crying :laugh:

Regs

Simon

PS the only Lone Wolf remaning unaccounted for is Paul - last seen leaving for KTM Zaragoza to collect his new clutch slave cylinder. As I havent had a call from them asking where he is I guess he made it by hook-or-crook and I think he was due to set off on the Santander or Bilbao ferry on Wednesday - any news Paul?
HA21_2013-10-11.jpg
HA21_2013-10-11.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

hello guys home late last night safe and sound and on the bike.try to get pics out of phone and write a bit later. just like to say thanks again for a great meet and everybodys contributions great places great riding brilliant people.
Paul.
rem47

Post by rem47 »

One of Phils videos is coincidently taken at 3E1 on the Javalambre Summit Romp - a really nice route. The route you said you have not travelled Simon. We carried on the track for another 200m before realising we had missed the turn which you can just about make out in the foreground going off to the right of the picture where Jonny is. In places there was no visible track to follow on the ground.
jonny_3E1b.JPG
jonny_3E1b.JPG (67.04 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
rem47

Post by rem47 »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Thanks Richard for your fab posts and pix. You've really caught the whole sessence of the HISS this year - including the adventures just getting there and back, I'm really glad the cloud stayed off the Port de la Bonaigüa pass for you on your ride over to Vielha :)
It was a case of Deja vu. I realised I rode this pass before about 6 years ago at the same time of year, there was snow on the top then at the ski resort.
PortdelaBonaiguaPass.jpg
PortdelaBonaiguaPass.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

rem47 wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Thanks Richard for your fab posts and pix. You've really caught the whole sessence of the HISS this year - including the adventures just getting there and back, I'm really glad the cloud stayed off the Port de la Bonaigüa pass for you on your ride over to Vielha :)
It was a case of Deja vu. I realised I rode this pass before about 6 years ago at the same time of year, there was snow on the top then at the ski resort.
A2.png
A2.png (660.56 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Blimey, almost the same date too :laugh:

Jeff mentioned that it was cold at Ainsa the same night - apparently there was a peppering of snow up on Aneto and the peaks around abouts - all well over 3,000 metres, so they were safe and sound in the Bielsa tunnel :)

Meanwhile, I you you, Dermot and especially Amanda an apology!
rem47 wrote:On the way to see the cave paintings between 4000 and 7000 years old. Amanda heeding some advice from Dermot on the approach to a tricky bit:
A1.png
A1.png (656.82 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
The trai whree you came to grief attempting to get to the Peña de la Cruz was indeed my error recording the route on Wikiloc that I handed ou to everyone. Compare this, below, to my original survey back in May, when my mate and I originally followed the signpost to it, as per the guide - as did Johnny and the Jets an hour or so before you guys!

[attachment=-1]A2.png[/attachment]

[attachment=-2]A1.png[/attachment]

As far as I know this was the only such error. To remond folks, I couldn't edit the routes from original recordings - as you will see we did 274 kms that day! - so had to 'redraw' them according to the itineraries and individual routes that I devised later, based on the survey plus hundreds of photos of signpost, POI's etc.

The big shame is the difficult route that you were following obviously must only have been a few hundred metres before you reached the 'true' trail. Unless you did reach this and still found it too hard for Amanda and her Tourance tyres, it is a bit of a wobly one as I warnned you all at the time :)

The real shame is that the view from the top is stupendous!

Regs

Simon
Attachments
A2.png
A2.png
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Jeffwkirby

Post by Jeffwkirby »

A couple of pictures

Nope, didn't seem to want to load........? Sorry

Last try... :angry: I give up!! Reduced size but to no avail.....
Simon I'll send them to you on a email. If you could do the honours please (and after all this, that not that great! :whistle: )
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Jeffwkirby wrote:A couple of pictures

Hi Jeff, you're not the only one! just glad to know you had a great time. If you want to send images to me on dropbox I'll try to load them here but I'd have to leave the captions to you.

Regs

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Jeffwkirby wrote:A couple of pictures

Last try... :angry: I give up!! Reduced size but to no avail.....
Simon I'll send them to you on a email. If you could do the honours please (and after all this, that not that great! :whistle: )
OK Jeff, I know the feeling!

Let's try as few - I hope I've got your captions right:
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.40.50PM.png
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.40.50PM.png (771.4 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Day 2, think it was 2A or G (long, through a lovely green valley)
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.53.22PM.png
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.53.22PM.png (666.9 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Last cafe, last day
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.58.26PM.png
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.58.26PM.png (781.26 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Le Roast Beef (while he still could)
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.59.11PM.png
Screenshot2013-10-15at6.59.11PM.png (773.73 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Belisa tunnel queue

I'm a bit stuck for the rest as I'm on the Macbook and can't get the while image on the screen to copy!

I'll try a few more of mine tomorrow as I'll be stuck in a hospital waiting room - again - startimg my Physio :laugh:

But what the heck was this all about :laugh:
Screenshot2013-10-15at7.01.46PM.png
Screenshot2013-10-15at7.01.46PM.png (651.6 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
The aliens have landed (aka me!)

Regs

Simon

gspod

Post by gspod »

Hi All, We're finally home from our travels.
Firstly, a huge thank you to Simon and Polly for making our experience of the HISS truly memorable. It was great to meet such a great bunch of people, full of fun and laughter. Here are a few photos and comments about our trip this year.
On our way through the Picos
INTHEPICOS.jpg
INTHEPICOS.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Then we stopped off at the Bardenas Reales for a couple of nights
BARDENASVIEW.jpg
BARDENASVIEW.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Then the HISS began - after a small 1100gs hiccup (luckily only a fuse).
Our first trail, second day on way to Javalambre. Amanda on the way to the monastery
ONWAYTOMONASTERY.jpg
ONWAYTOMONASTERY.jpg (82.26 KiB) Viewed 2491 times

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”