A Pillion's view of the world

Where you've been and what you done
Dazzer

Re: A Pillion's view of the world

Post by Dazzer »

Here are a few photos I took showing all the different road conditions we had to deal with in a day. From Hard packed gravel to Dust and Ice to short stretches of tarmac .

You never knew what the road would be like round the next corner. It would be easy to be lulled into riding faster than the road conditions will allow here.

Next morning we Leave Wiseman at 10am we do the short ride down to Coldfoot for breakfast and Fuel.

We thought that we may be the last riders up to PB this summer, we were wrong.

Three F800GS BMW's pulled up for fuel ridden by 3 chaps from Korea.

One who fell off on the mud soon after filling up his bike. Their tyres were well past there best having ridden from Florida on them.

We had left Fairbanks on new rubber and Darren was glad we did. These chaps were now heading North onto the worst part of the road on very loaded bikes with almost worn out rear tyres. We pass on info and wished them well Darren gave them our tel number in case they needed help.

We never heard from them so we hope they all made it back OK. . We will post a link to there Blog when we find it.

We stop for a brew at the Yukon River River crossing . Take a photo of the Pipe line which we have followed for the last few days.

While Darren was making a brew I go for a walk down to the edge of the River to take some photos's. I returned rather quickly and said that there was a Large Cat on the foot path. I took a photo and when we showed it to a local he said I was lucky to have seen and taken a photo of a Lynx .

The Yukon Bridge

The Area of Gobblers Knob had the coldest recorded temperature in Alaska of -80

Feeling like were on the top of the world. We could see for Miles.This place is just breath taking .

Were keen to get back to Base Camp in Fairbanks today as they close tomorrow for the winter. Knowing that we can have a warm room for the night is helping us get through a very cold days riding.

You cant afford to relax to much on the later parts of the Dalton Highway . Its easy to get complacent and get caught out by the road, so we keep the speed down and plod on.

Returning To Go North Base Camp with a sigh of relief we Meet Sven again. He was glad to see us arrive back and had pre warmed a room for us. What a Star.

One of his dogs had just had puppies and he like's them to interact with humans as much as possible as he says they make better Sled dogs that way.

Sven the manager of Go North Base Camp with his pups

Manuhaller and I wanting to keep one each .There so cute .

Here is Karen from Texas showing us that Southern women from Texas are as tough as Alaskan women ..

All advise we were receiving from locals was to start heading South as the weather had turned and a cold front was closing in. As much as we would have liked to ride down to Anchorage where we had a invite to stay with some other Bikers we did not want to get snowed in.

Go North is a great place to meet people if you ever get there please say Hi to them all from us. We will be returning here as we fell in love with Alaska . That evening we meet Stan a BMW rider and his girlfriend.

Before we say fairwell to Fairbanks we headed North again To the Hill Top Truckers Cafe to have a huge Breakfast. That's when Stan showed us what he carries on his bike in case a Bear attacks him.. Made now my knife and bear spray look pitiful :(

Funniest thing of all, Darren is sat there with these in his hands and no one bats a eye lid.

After breakfast we headed back to Fairbanks . Then we Passed through a place Called "North Pole" we though the GPS had us going in the wrong direction ;)

Turning the corner and there it was ... Santa Clause House , Where it's Christmas every Day .. wow

For those of you with Kid's ,Grand kids Or if your just a Big Kid at heart. Here are some photos for you to use at Christmas.

Stopped here. But no sign of Bruce :lol:

Austins nick name for Dazzer is the silver fox ...so he made a stake for this gold Mine

End of the Dalton Highway

We had a rough plan to cross back into Canada Today and make it to the Moose View deck to camp there for the night.

That plan went out the window just outside of a town called Tuk in Alaska. While climbing up a hill Darren gassed it up and felt the rear wheel bearings go.
We slowed and stopped at the Gas station. The lady there told us that just down the road was a biker friendly camp site but it was closed for the winter.

We decided to call in there and see if we could still camp as the hotels were all asking $100 a night.

Pulling into the wooded camp ground we were meet with a Dog . Thankfully a very friendly Dog .

The owner came out and said although the camp ground was closed we could have a cabin and full use of the garage work shop. Fantastic. The weather forecast was saying that it would be down to -4 tonight so a cabin seemed better than camping and it was only $40.

We put our gear inside the cabin and while I made us soup for Tea Darren set about changing the rear wheel bearings and changed the oil.

Outside cooking and washing area.

Free to use fully kitted out work shop on site ...Cool.

The lady told us that her husband had a old Harley . Tucked away in the back of a garage was this beauty

Even inside the cabin with the heater on full it was still cold. I awoke in the early hours after hearing something brushing against the side of the cabin. what ever it was must have been big as I felt the cabin shake . Darren got up fast to check that we had the door locked :oops:

Leaving next day at 9am we soon re entered Canada and the Yukon.

The day was very cold and overcast , even with all our cloths on we were still feeling the chill.

By the time we reached Haines Jct we had decided to get a Motel regardless of the cost .

These places are like one horse towns . There were a few Motel but all were full due to it being hunting season.

We stopped at a bar and thankfully they had a room free at $85 we were in like a shot. Before we Showered we got warm by the fire and then had a feast of a meal.

This plaque show's the Law of the Yukon . Which is So very True.

Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

Next Morning we awoke late and were the last to leave the Motel at 10am.
It had snowed in the night and the snow line was getting lower each day. We needed to get south before we got caught out.

We seem to be in the middle of a battle between Autumn and Winter. and Winter will very soon be the winner.

We made it to Ranchera Falls and decided to camp for the night.
It was another cold night but we both slept well.
Leaving camp at 9am to allow the sun to have warmed to road ,we headed for the camp site .Another good day for seeing wild life ,in the days ride we had seen 7 Bears ,Two Moose, Wolfs and Deer.

This one in the photo was taken just as we turned onto the Tarmac road from our wild camp. makes you think when you know how close they are to you when your sleeping in your tent...

Riding past our south turn we carried on 20 miles east to Watson Lake. We had told us to visit Watson Lake. we had heard that the town was full of road signs so we had to see this.

We stopped at Tatogga Camp .

Dazzer's word's

We pitched our tent and then went for a walk down to the lake. Just off the path in front of us was a large Black bear. These are the worst bears for attacking .while I panicked and tried to open the bear spray. Leigh took a photo..lol , thankfully it turned and ran off.

With the sun setting fast it was starting to get real cold. Time to get our fire lit and we were off into the bar for a meal.

This is a small meal :o Thankfully we shared it otherwise we will be gaining all the weight we lost in Russia

When we see this sign you slow right down

The deck of the bridge is metal and very slippery even when dry.

Having been very lucky with the weather we had only had one wet days riding north. Now in the very same area we had our second wet day on route south. We rode down to Stewart .

All the rooms were booked by the hunters so we crossed the boarder back into Alaska to look for a room. The only motel that had rooms would only let us have two rooms . one each for $55 so we carried on back down Glacier High way that we had just traveled down . It was raining heavy and very cold.
Finding a camp site at Meziadin Lake we had had enough of the rain so pulled in.

Lucky there was a covered BBQ area so we put the tent up under that to keep us dry.

Even though it was wet the scenery was breath taking

Signs that a bear had been feeding close by

Just as it was getting dark a car pulled up and a voice said " Is That Dazzer and Leigh " We were shocked that anyone would know us. when they stepped into the light it was Adam and Sasha who we had met a few weeks before in the Yukon on our way to Alaska.

( PHOTO FROM EARLIER PAGE }

They also camped under the BBQ shed . Talking about our Bear encounters and the beauty of the place till late into the night. The stars came out and we all hoped for a better day in the morning.

Next morning the weather had improved. Even though it was cold it was sunny . Which makes for a great ride.
Saying our farewells and wishing good travels to our friends ,We kept heading South and hoped it would warm up the more south we rode.

Plan was to try to make it to Smithers today . While passing through a small town call New Hazelton we smelled a BBQ cooking so turned around to buy a burger.

Its strange how things work out.
It turned out that the BBQ was in aid of Breast Cancer . We bought our food and drink and while I was talking with the Women comparing Breast Cancer treatment in Canada with that which I had had back in England.
Darren was sat on the bench enjoying a tasty Beef Burger when a Chap riding a Yamaha came over to talk about the bike. His name was Jim.

Jim asked where we were heading , Darren told him we were riding down to Smithers to find a Motel as we had been camping for a few days .

Jim owned the Bakery and Laundry and the flat above which he offered us the use off
So we took Jim and His wife Ruth up on the offer . They asked if we would like to stay 2 night's then they could show us around the town in the morning.

They showed us to the flat then said they would see us downstairs in the Bakery's cafe at 9 in the morning

It was only mid afternoon so we managed to get all our washing and drying done in the laundry . Then we went to the store to buy Pizza for tonight's meal.

While I cooked the Pizza Darren stripped off the head light to see if I could find the annoying vibrating noise that had developed. It turned out to be the top head light mount that had snapped off and was rubbing . So he packed a small piece of rubber at the back of the light and put it back together.

Eating a tasty Pizza while watching TV for the first time in weeks was bliss.

We did not know it but this small town had a lot of history

Next morning we awoke to perfect blue sky . Jim was in the Bakery drinking coffee as we came down for breakfast.

Jim took us to all the tourist sights around the town. There is a old steam paddle boat that is now a cafe.

They do a home made pea and Ham soup that we were going to try. As we entered there was a piano and guitar in the corner.
While I ordered our food Jim pick's up the guitar , tunes it and then starts singing and playing Johnny Cash , Folsom Prison. The best part was that every one in there joined in. We though that was so cool. Had this been England they would have laughed at you. Then he did a few more songs . Excellent and great fun.

Jim McAfee " The coolest Chap we have ever meet.

The Name Indians is no longer used .Now First Nation's is the Name given .

Visiting the reservation was very interesting

The Long Houses

Each Clan had its own Totem and long house .

New Hazelton is a quaint little town where everyone knows each other and they all help each other out.

The view of the Mountain from where we were staying

Some of the history from this part of Canada

I asked Ruth and Jim if we could take them out for dinner but Ruth had already Put a full salmon in to bake for our tea.

It was the best Salmon we had ever tasted. The locals catch so much that they eat it like we eat fish and chips. :lol:

After Dinner Jim showed Darren his Classic Highly Tuned Harley Chop which was like Billy Bobs bike in easy Rider. Very Cool and old School.

I must admit that we were both very sad to be leaving New Hazleton . Everyone we had meet had made us feel so welcome.

Leigh / Jim / Leah at Leah's art studio

I do hope that Jim and Ruth will call in and see us when they come to England. As we were leaving Jim gave me a gift of a Classic Western Shirt.

{ Darren Had left cloths in the Motel in Tacoma and when we returned he posted Jim his Triumph T shirt and Russian Harley Davidson T shirt to Jim . Ruth sent us a email saying Jim loved the T's. we keep in touch through email now.

We have a excellent ride down through Canada and back to America.

We returned to the Motel that we had used in Tacoma while waiting for the bike to arrive in America.

Iain and Debz were arriving in a few days so we hoped to meet up again, we had not seen them since Georgia back in May :(

The owner did us a deal for 10 nights which worked out at $38 including breakfast . We were lucking forward to a rest. This would also give me time to do some work on the bike and change the tyres.

We had two days when we just sat near the pool and rested .

Our friends Jessica at Urban custom bikes Was looking after our rear tyre , and she had also supplied us with a Dunlop Front Harley Davidson tyre at a great price.

So tyres collected and fitted while I watched on from the sun lounger next to the pool 8)

The views had been reduced the last few days due to two large forest fires east of Tacoma. Today when we awoke we had a perfect view of Mt Rainier so we decided to do the route that takes you around the base of the Mountain , The round trip would be about 220 miles .

Heading first to Touratech HQ as I had contacted them and they had a replacement Ram mount for our GPS as ours had broke a while back.

The staff at Touratech were great, very interested in our trip and they came outside to take some photos.
They did us a great deal on a jacket for Darren / Pants for me and a lockable gps mount.

The deal was so good that Darren could not get my wallet out fast enough.....

Time to test our new Kit out.
Heading south east on the back roads we stop many time's to take photos, each time we stop people see the bike and start talking to us. Around mid day we stop in the small town for lunch .

The town is already getting ready for Halloween which they say is now bigger the Christmas here in the states.

The ride and view's were stunning ,only wish that Darren could have had a few of his mates from back home to ride these roads with him.

Mt Rainier is 14,411 ft (4,392 m).[1][2] and is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world . It is on the Decade Volcano list.[8] Because of its large amount of glacial ice, Mt. Rainier could potentially produce massive lahars that would threaten the whole Puyallup River valley
Mount Rainier has a topographic prominence of 13,211 ft (4,027 m), greater than K2 at 13,189 ft (4,020 m

With 26 major glaciers and 36 sq mi of permanent snowfields and glaciers, Mount Rainier is the most heavily glaciated peak in the lower 48 states. The summit is topped by two volcanic craters, each more than 1,000 ft (300 m) in diameter with the larger east crater overlapping the west crater. Geothermal heat from the volcano keeps areas of both crater rims free of snow and ice, and has formed the world's largest volcanic glacier cave network within the ice-filled craters, with nearly 2 mi of passages

Here are a few photos to try give you a riders view of Mt Rainier Park

The sun set's fast here and it's soon dark. we get caught out and have to ride the last 30 miles in the dark. All was going well when out of my eye corner I see something come out of the bushes .
BAG it hits the screen and the screen breaks. I can only think it was a bird and thank god it was not a deer or bear.

{ Next morning was spent doing a Darren temp repair !!! }

Later that night while Sat watching TV the phone in the room rings . It's Debz

. They were going to the BMW meet in Washington State for the weekend with other ADV Riders . We made arrangement's to meet them and there host Ned who also rides a BMW with a side car , on their return on Sunday.

Ned took us for a Sea food meal in down town Tacoma.

After we all went to a local Bar which would have suited Basil and Dazco . They have 63 hand pulled beer's on Tap. Most are over 7 percent proof.

I tried out the side car. { Dazzer ...No were not fitting one to the Tenere :lol: }

The weather forecast now predicts where we go ridding.

The cold weather was forecast to start moving south. Jim and Ruth had sent us a email to say that winter had started up in Canada. We had intended to head due East into Montana but our friend Brian who we had stayed with up in Fraser lake was there on his old Harley and told us that the weather was quite bad with ice and snow. So we changed our plans and headed south east.

It was late afternoon when we arrived in the small town of Toppernish where we were to be staying with Ron and Diana for two nights .
Toppernish is known for having the most murals painted buildings in any town in the USA with over 100.

Ron showed us around some great gravel roads and very twisty black top roads in and around around the Dallas on the old Lewis and Clark trail into Oregon .
we encountered Wild horses and deer while out .

While crossing a metal base bridge with Ron we started having problems with the rear hob of our bike.

It seems that the cush drive rubbers have been wearing the alloy away on the outside edge of the cush drive housing also the bearing on this part of the hub was lose. So on our return to Ron's house Darren and Ron worked on the wheel till late into the night .

Leaving Next morning the bike felt a lot better so we pushed on .Ron had pointed out a Ghost town on the map so were off to see it .

Strange how people up sticks and leave almost everything behind.

The jail house , time for some fun.

Foot paths made from wood.

A few miles down the road we came across this sign, we though it was interesting enough for a photo.

That night we stayed in Bend and tried Mexican food for the first time. Sad to say it was not very nice at all. So were hoping that when we get to Mexico the food is somewhat better. Bend was having its Autumn festival so we had a look around and meet this chap ;)

Today were Heading for a town called Sweet-home where we were to be staying with Wes and Shannon . Our route there takes us through lava bed .This Volcano blew it's top off 5000 years ago

Sweet-home is a lovely little town . Wes had been watching the tracker and thankfully was in his drive as we rode passed.

we had the chance to spend two nights sleeping in their camper van which was great.

Wes and Shannon are a lovely couple . That evening we all went out to a local restaurant . In the morning we asked if we could attend their local church with them . They were having the Autumn get together, everyone takes food and they all have this big meal in the church hall. It was great to meet all their friend's and everyone was interested in our trip.

In the afternoon Wes was going to take us for a flight in his plane but it was very windy so we all took a trip to the Oregon coast in their car.

The Pacific coast is beautiful with stunning sunsets, here are some photos from that day.

Some History that may be of interest to you.

Wes Shannon Leigh and Dazzer

The nights are now becoming very cold with more often than not frost on the bike first thing. By 10am the sun as warmed things up but you know as soon as the sun sets the temperature plummets.

We were out of bed early and packed ready to roll. Wes had marked up some maps for us showing us places to visit on our route south.
Shannon had made breakfast. Its always sad to say Far well to new friends that have been so kind to us and today was no exception . Wes and Shannon had been so kind to us and were both sure we will meet again.

First stop was to photo one of the old Covered bridges , those who have seen the Bridges of Madison county will know what I'm on about. There are a few that you can still drive through but most are now protected buildings.

One of the route Wes had marked on the map for us was up to Crater Lake. This ride turned out to be a real gem. The road climbs to over 7000ft to the lip of the crater.

This Volcano blow its top off 7,700 . The new top can now be seen sticking out of the lake.

The lake is 5 by 6 miles across with an average depth of 1,148 feet . Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States. It was truly stunning to see.

The ride off the mountain down to Klamail Falls was full of switch backs and a great ride in the sunshine.

On our way down we meet V Strom rider Dirk. He told us that all the camp sites were closed for the winter, so we had to head into Klamath Falls TO find a motel.

Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

A early start turned out to be a very cold ride for the first hour. The sky was blue and the sun was shining so we knew that it would soon warm up.

Headed south west towards the coast. Calling at a camp site Brian had told us about only to find out that they had closed 2 days earlier .

We crossed into California Noticing a sticker from the cannonball ralley which took place a few weeks back..

That night we found a cheap Motel in a town called Crescent City. and to be honest it was not the California we were expecting :cry:

The route down Highway 1 along the pacific coast is nothing short of spectacular . You hug the coast for miles with twist after twist, from beach level to high up the side of a cliff.

we stopped for a brew and meet a English couple that were cycling around the world. Both in their 60's. They sold their house 10 years ago and have been travelling ever since . Two of the happiest people you could wish to meet

Turning off PCH onto the Avenue of Giants. Wes and Shannon had told us of this route, and we just had to see this.

The red wood's of Northern California are the tallest trees in the world. The tallest was 365 feet, which is taller than the statue of liberty .

I'm stood in the rood to give you a idea just how big these trees are.

Here is a tree house cut into one of the trees. I thought it was better than the Motel in Crescent City

Some interesting info on the age of these trees.

I cant count how many time we almost ran off the road looking up at these while trying to ride the bike.

We hoped this sign was just a Joke.

We had spent so much time talking to people today that this meant we would have to ride the last 15 miles to David's house in the dark. David had offered us the use of his Trailer which was parked at the bottom of his garden and was surrounded with giant red wood's.

The night was so dark and by 9pm we were tucked up in the trailer and sleeping like logs.

we awoke at 7 am to a chilly morning . David had made us porridge for breakfast. And as we said our farewells to David as he left for work, Darren and I had one last walk in the red wood forest.

We stopped on the coast to take some photos of pelicans when we noticed that the tree below us was full of humming birds . Needless to say we stopped and watched them for well over a hour.

This weekend we have booked a Motel in San Francisco. Time to do some sight seeing .

Maybe we should bring a few Humming Birds back to the UK. ;)

we made our way down towards San Francisco ,The traffic soon starts to build up and the Highway turns into 6 lanes of Madness. It was a relief to reach the motel we had booked .

Saturday we awoke early and headed into San Francisco.

even at 7am on a Saturday the traffic was manic. Crossing Bay bridge into the centre of SF we got our first full view of the city and bay area.

Our aim was to take the ferry over to Alcatraz . Parking was impossible near the Docks . Then a chap comes up to us and lets us park the bike in one of the buildings on the docks right next to the ferry terminal .

This is when we found out that you need to get in line the day before to be sure of a ticket to visit Alcatraz . Bummer...we stood in line for tickets for Sunday's trips. I was the next in line to book tickets when the lady at the counter shouted we have some cancelled tickets for the 2.30 sailing today . So we were luck to get a pair.

Here are some photos from Alcatraz and its infamous inmates and the views from the island.

Now we had 6 hours to check out the bay area of SF. It seems to be a very laid back city and was also very clean. Here are a few photos Of the city from our walk around .

Leaving San Francisco on Monday dinner time to miss the worst of the traffic.

we were heading to Modesto where we were to be staying with David and Ana.

We arrived mid afternoon and David kindly let us do a service on the bike and work on the rear wheel problem that had been troubling us since we left Alaska.

That evening David and Ana cooked a very Tasty BBQ for us, we sat outside drinking wine till late. a great evening will a lovely couple

Tuesday morning . The Bike serviced and the rear wheel packed out and were ready to head through Yosemite National Park and then over to a little town called Bishop where we were staying two nights with James and Lindsey.
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

Leaving Modesto heading out on the back roads and leave the mayhem of the Californian traffic behind. Heading towards Yosemite National Park.

Smooth roads, perfect camber's with picturesque views and blue sky . We can't ask for more . Visiting Yosemite at this time of the year seems best with few tourist around .

The views are breath taking . North America having so much to offer it would be quite easy to spend a year riding here and still want more time.

In the back of my Mind I know our America visa is ticking away and our time here will soon be at a end and for Darren more than me I know he will be very sad to be leaving the place he as always enjoyed spending time in .

A few views from Yosemite .

Heading over the Sierra Nevada Mountains we drop down into the Town of Bishop. A sweet little town which offers everything the tourist needs from skiing in winter and mountain biking in summer.

We have a invite to say in a Motor home owned by biker Mark and his family. Arriving late afternoon to a warm welcome. Mark is out of town and his son and daughter in law show us to where were staying.

Early next morning we join James and his wife Lindsey .There are taking us on a ride around Mammoth Lakes area. This mountain range was used in the film..The wizard of Oz .

After stopping for a tasty cooked breakfast we head into the Mountains . Stopping to take photos on the San Andreas fault.

Standing on this spot makes us uneasy :oops: Knowing that one day this could just split open :(

That evening we had a BBQ and James and Lindsey cooked Caribou steaks ,very tasty . Next morning we all had breakfast before Darren and I headed out to Death Valley, The driest place on the planet .

even this late in the year and its still very hot in mid afternoon.

These roads are destroying the centre of our tyres

Now and then on a long trip you hit a LOW point ;)
Today we hit a very low point 282 feet below sea level at Bad Water.

Death Valley is a desert valley located in Eastern California. Situated within the Mojave Desert, it is the lowest and driest area in North America. Death Valley has the highest recorded air temperature in the world.[2] Badwater Basin, located in Death Valley, is the point of the lowest elevation in North America at 282 feet below sea level. This point is only 84.6 miles of Mount Whitney, the highest point in the contiguous United States with an elevation of 14,505 feet Death Valley holds the record for the highest reliably reported temperature in the world, 134 °F (56.7 °C) at Furnace Creek on July 10, 1913. The previously-claimed world record air temperature, 136 °F (57.8 °C) in 'Aziziya, Libya, on September 13, 1922, has been officially deemed invalid by the World Meteorological Organization.

We can't imagine having to work in this environment

Foot print in the desert sand

we thought it was hard riding a motorbike through Death Valley ,but when we came across a group of cyclists doing a charity 100 mile ride through the Valley . Hard Core indeed.

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

What an amazing journey, I'm very jealous. Thanks for sharing it with us.

:o)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

Darren walk's in Death Valley to leave his foot prints at 282 ft below sea level

There is a election going on and its all you hear about. We came across this sign which made us laugh :lol:

As we leave Death Valley we come across this place ..If there is a band wagon why not jump on board

Interesting side entrance :oops:

Now... were heading to a part of the Nevada desert known for UFO sightings and AREA 51 8)

We ride down the extraterrestrial highway eyes peeled to the sky

:o and heading for the small town of Rachel

Cresting the brow of one of the hills after miles of desert riding we can now see Rachel in the distance

with a population of only 56 its the smallest place we have been to in America .( not counting Wiseman in Alaska with only a population of 22 )

Arriving at the Little Alien Inn ( Have you seen the Movie Paul ? ) were welcomed by Harley riding Rod a retired school teacher who as spent the last few months riding and camping all around America .

Rod tells us we can camp anywhere outside the Bar for free. So we put the tent up before we go into the bar as it will be dark in a hour.

Inside we meet a great group of people and were all sat together having a great evening , Brad Angie, Rod Darren Andy and Jim.. the owner Ryan joins us and keeps the Bar open till very Late... Making us his special Alien Cocktails which after a few you will for sure be seeing UFO's :lol:

The party carries on outside, sat at the camp site looking into the night sky, Thinking ...Are They out There :?:

We pack up early and say our farewells to Brad and Angie and the staff at the Little ALIEN INN.

We all have our photo taken outside before we ride off

Heading towards Las Vegas, Rod on his Harley Davidson leads the way.

Stopping at the Black Mail Box near Area 51. ( the mail box is now white the old black one was sold in a auction ! )

Dinner stop and we take a look at the hot springs and have a chat with a group of Mexicans

Battling very strong side winds we make our way into Las Vegas. Rod gives us a wave as we head off in different directions. Rod is touring the USA after retiring from being a teacher. A great bloke and a pleasure to have spent time and ridden with..

Ride on Rod till we meet again

Arriving in Las Vegas the traffic is no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be and finding the way to our Hotel on the Strip was easy.

At first Darren was not to keen on Vegas, but on the second day he started to really enjoy it.

we had a great time there visiting many show's and calling into all the large casinos.

Here are a few photos from Las Vegas

The staff at our hotel told the staff at The Legends Show that we were riding around the world and had just got married.
So in the show when The Elvis impersonator was doing his routine he came off the stage and over to our table and sang love me tender to Me . It was excellent. After the show he came back over to see us for a chat and we had our photo taken with him. what a great night.

These photos were all taken inside a Casino ! with fake blue sky and clouds. wow

On the 25th October Darren and I were Married in the Chapel of flower. The chapel has a live web cam so friends and family around the world got the chance to watch it live.

Darren bought a shirt and I get a dress for $25 and off we went . Picked up in a Limo from our Hotel and take down the strip to the chapel .

A few photos of our Wedding .

There is also a sad side to Vegas ( and most parts of the world ) with many Homeless .For what ever reason they are homeless it seems sad that so much money was being spent gambling and the homeless were looking in trash cans for their next meal.

It was here that we decided that we could not just ride around the world with out doing some good to others. Many people had showed us random acts of kindness on our trip. We would now buy a meal and hot drink for homeless people that we came across. we wont give money because Darren does like the thought of it being spent on drugs or alcohol.Were not here to judge why there homeless but if they will take the offer of a meal we will gladly buy them one.

Heading out of Las Vegas we head to the Hover Dame before picking up part of the old route 66

Stopping to check out some of the old Diners from the hay day of route 66

If you like road signs here are one or two...

We had a invite to stay with Ken Meredith in Sedona Arizona. We meet them in Flagstaff and followed them to there Place.

A beautiful house on the outskirts of town complete with traditional American Barn.

Ken and Meredith are big into Skying

After Unpacking the bike and having a sandwich Ken and Meredith take us on a ride of the area ,stopping at Americas largest ghost town which is called Jerome .We all had a great day watching a live band in the Saloon.

Ken and Meredith were dancing in the street.

Meredith cooked us a lovely meal that night. It was great to have some home made cooking .

Next morning we awoke early and heading into Sedona to a diner for a American breakfast . Full to bursting we headed north through Flagstaff and onto the Grand canyon. As the view of the Canyon appears it is indeed breath taking. we just stood there for what seemed like hours looking at it trying to take it all in.

Leaving the Grand Canyon the sun was starting to set fast .The Ride back was cold but clear. Having to ride the last 20 miles in the dark was Interesting :o

Ken and Meredith's the front lawn was full of wild Boar.

It's always Sad to be moving on after we have spent time with great People that will now always be our friends. Ken and Meredith also love travelling so we hope one day they make it over to our side of the pond to ride around the Yorkshire Dales. Ken and Meredith we thank you for looking after us and showing us your part of the world , we enjoyed every minute.

Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

Heading into New Mexico and Old cowboy country. When Darren was a Kid back in the 60's he loved the old Cowboy movies so riding through this part of America was a real treat for him :oops:

The food in these road side dinners was cheap and very good with excellent service.

We came across this monument from the cowboy wars of the 1800's

Our next destination is Roswell New Mexico .The roads were excellent to ride with almost no traffic at all, apart from the low flying UFO's of course !

Seen on the door in the WC.

The route takes us along Highway 380 which passes through a old town called Lincoln . Back in the 1880's This was the most dangerous place in America.

Infamous for Billy The Kid , Pat Garrett and the Lincoln county wars .we spent some time looking around getting my Cowboy Geek Fix :oops: All these names I had heard of as a Kid watching cowboy movies. Now we are walking around the towns where all this recent history happened .

We called into the Yamaha Dealer in Roswell to see if they could help us get a new rear hub or wheel for our bike. They made some calls and said they would have a answer in the morning. So we booked into a Motel near by for two nigh's which gave us time to check out the Roswell Alien research center .

In The Yamaha dealer was the owners 1918 BSA which he had ridden to a win on this years Cannon Ball run .

The shop has a great collection of old bikes on display , all of which get ridden .

While Darren was at the Dealers he was telling the staff that we had just been looking around Lincoln. They said if you hang around a relation of Pat Garrett's was coming in to collect his bike. So we get to meet Brad. Pat Garrett's info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Garrett

Brad tells us a different story that his grandmother told the family. This story was different. Pat was sat in a upstairs room above a bar
talking with a friend of Billy's Pat told the friend he knew billy was in town and he was getting paid $500 if he took him back dead or alive. So he told the friend to tell billy to come back with him. Just then the door behind Pat opened and Pat thought that billy was coming in to shoot him so he swung around and shoot the person. It was not Billy but a young lad bringing up a message. Then Billy come's in and sits down with his friend and Pat. It now seems that Pat as killed a young un armed lad. what would people think of that. So Billy says you killed me then Pat , you will be getting your $500. so This is why they buried the body instead of taking it back to town. who know's what the truth is we will never know for sure but it sure is interesting

Billy the kid info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_the_Kid

Darren still have a love for Harley Davidson. If he lived in America he would have one in the Garage. This one which is a 2007 Road King with only 26000 miles was only £4500..... I wanted it....

Next morning we visited the Roswell Alien Research center .

No mater if you believe or not the fact's in the center do make you think. Why !!! if what crashed here in 1947 was only a weather balloon would so many people who were involved be threatened ?

There are so many things to read there that when you leave you have to think that maybe there is something .

It also says that this research center has the second largest library on UFO sightings ..The largest Library in the world on UFO research is at the Vatican !!!!

Calling back at the Yamaha dealer we find that they can not get hold of a hub or wheel for us. So I make another repair to the hub and were once again off on our way. We have a invite to stay with Dan and Tammy in Belton Texas.

Its a long hot ride and very windy when we start to ride across the Pan Handle of Texas.
The roads are straight and quit boring with nothing to see. .This part of Texas is the cotton growing area and the fields stretch as far as the eye can see.

It turns out to be a hard days ride with the very strong cross winds. So when we reach a small town called Snyder we pull into the Motel for the night.

In the early hours were awoke to the sound of what seemed to be gun fire. Then it's quite so we go back to sleep. Next morning were on the road early and as we pull out of the motel the road is blocked off and were sent down a side street. we stop in the filling station and find out that the sound of gun shots we heard was the police shooting and killing a man that had said he was going to kill his family..

We take the back road's of Texas heading to Belton. There is a huge storm in the distance .We stop at a dinner for a bite to eat while the storm passes. Leigh get's the chance to meet a real Cowboy .

Were lucky to not have to ride through the storm .The roads are already drying with the heat .

The last time we had to ride in the rain was back in Canada. Little did we know then it would be 5 month before we both had to ride in the rain again .

Arriving at Dan and Tammy's to a warm welcome. Their two Boston's running out to meet us, Baxter and Winston are so lovely that Leigh now wants to take them with us...

Dan owns a few bikes A BMW 800 GS and his Kawasaki Superbike he races in the AMA superbikes rounds .

Tammy has one of the new Honda NX 700 which I got the chance to ride. A automatic which once you get used to is very smooth and quit fast.

They had given us the use of Dan Race trailer which was great. The Back of the trailer opens kind of like a horse box. the kitchen area floor is alloy so the bike is fastened down here when it is being transported to race meetings .

It has a full size fridge freezer/ large toilet shower and a double bed room complete with flat screen TV. These trailers are great and a far better idea then a caravan if you want to take a bike with you on Holiday.

Dan's Garage has everything we need to make another repair to the rear wheel.

That evening were taken out to meet with their friend's at the local Texan BBQ house. Now let me add this is some tasty BBQ .

Their friends Chris and his wife Lorena invite us to their farm on Sunday to do some shooting practice.

were going to love this, as we have never fired a gun before.

It turns out that I'm a better shot with the Dirty Harry cannon than Darren is. he loved that lol.

we have some movie clip's when I work out how to post them. :oops:

While at Dan and Tammy's we get a email to say a Dealer back home has a wheel for us.
It will take a week to get here so Dan lets us use their address to ship it to. Our plan is to have a few days in New Orleans sight seeing then we will meet up with Dan at the Texas speedway Track to watch him race the following weekend .

we take 2 days to ride to New Orleans . We do the sight seeing in the Old French quarter and Bourbon street. Its a good vibe there with lots of music and tasty local food. we tried Craw fish pie, Gumbo and Alligator .

We arrive in New Orleans as the sun is setting

New Orleans turns out to be a easy city to ride in and parking is safe and only a short walk to center . The city is well worth a visit.

Here are some of the photos from our time there.

The Texas speedway Race weekend was a great event. we were invited to meet a lot of the teams . All wanted to talk with us and we were invited to Eat and drink with them. It was a great experience and we thank Dan for inviting us.

Saturday night after practice we have BBQ with Dan and some friends in the Privater pits.

Here are some of the privater's bike's.

Here are some of the Factory team's we had the chance to meet and have a close look at their bike's

It can be a very expensive if you get it wrong !!!!

At mid day they had a parade lap so we got the chance to ride around the track. I was surprised just how steep the banking is on the American speedway tracks.

If anyone is interested I will keep updating.
chillidave

Post by chillidave »

Keep up the good work and congrats on the wedding. :)
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

I have yet to cover our ride back to California, crossing into Mexico and riding down the Baja. Getting caught in some troubles in Mexico. Spending a hot sunny Christmas in Cancun where Darren wishes he was back in England . Our visits to the Mayan Temples . Then our hot sticky ride through Central America where things start to go wrong and Being held by the Police in Panama for 8 hours and getting our bike impounded .

We have had our weeks rest which as given me time to do this. were back on the road now so Not sure when I will be able to update, But I will catch up with it promise.

Leigh x
boatman

Post by boatman »

Nice to see folks living their lives as opposed to simply existing

Great story !!!!!!!!

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”