Worse than rock bottom

Where you've been and what you done
Willandkate

Worse than rock bottom

Post by Willandkate »

I Don’t know what it is but since getting back to UK after our mammoth ride from Australia, the whole motorbiking thing just isn’t doing it for me. My wife Kate is using her XT 250 quite a bit to commute but my DR has sat in the garage for months.

Kate was at work today so with 21 degree sunshine forecast, I thought I better give the old bike a spin. It started up pretty much straight away which was a pleasant surprise. I can’t believe that the original battery which is nearly 6 years old is still going strong!

I headed out through the streets of South East London, through the burbs and finally after an hour or so, made it to the country.
and very nice it was too.

I rode around a bit looking at nice villages and enjoying the roads but it all seemed so boring. Too many of these didn’t help

So I decided to call it a day and head home. I took a few wrong turns and a bad day just hit rock bottom, well even lower than that actually!!

After this little moment I thought I should take the opportunity to really end the day off badly and went to Ikea and spent £90 on a lampshade.

Can anyone help me?
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Barcelona Pat

Re: Worse than rock bottom

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Sounds like you might benefit from staring into a camp fire while supping a few beers at an ABR rally for a few days. I did! The chance to talk about your biking achievements and your likes and dislikes about riding in the UK with like minded folk helps refresh what you love about two wheels. If that doesn´t work, you´ll at least be guarenteed a good laugh! :)

If it helps, I´m still feeling quite disorientated since finishing my big TdF-Alaska ride a month back. I´m also still waiting for my bike to get back, so not sure how I would feel about riding in the UK now - but I must say the level of traffic here feels both odd and depressing from the few trips I´ve done on 4 wheels. :unsure: I plan to take Idris down to Spain this autumn, and do lots of riding down there, so hopefully I will be able to find a bit of space to spread my wings. B)

As for spending in Ikea - sorry mate can´t help you there, that´s clearly the job for a professional :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers
P
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I sort of know what you and pat are talking about. Having lived and biked in SA for about 15 years I was coming to the UK with different expectations. The best thing I did was getting involved with a forum and I made so many new friends through that. As above go and join one of the meets, they are brilliant. After that how about some green laning? You say south east London. I lived there for a few years and know of a few lanes so maybe we could meet up
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

If I lived in SE London, I would be at rock bottom, biking wise

I live in Yorkshire Dales, so everyday is a good biking day :P

Hope you find your mojo, however it might not be in SE London
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
davsato

Post by davsato »

maybe after riding back here from oz you need a rest for a month.
i like beer but if i had it every day i would soon HAHAHA yeah right sorry mate i cant keep a straight face typing that crap mate sorry! overkill does your head in, it takes a little while to feel the love again, thats all
Dave
V_King

Post by V_King »

ups and downs. you'll get over it.

i haven't touched my bike for half a year, a few years back, but then got cured :laugh:
""
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

You just have the post big trip blues, hardly surprising really. You've done something life changing but are not expecting your life or you not to change.

Get back on the bike when your ready

good luck

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
moto al

Post by moto al »

hi bud i understand how you feel,over the years after a long trip i somtimes put the bike in the garage for a couple of months and never looked at it,even thought of giving up biking.i call it post trip blues.for me it passes,and then going on even a one night,s a over night camping i still get the feeling of a wee boy waiting for santa .cheers bud it will get better.al
002-0012.JPG
002-0012.JPG (57.13 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
moto al
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Is it really post big trip blues? I ain't been anywhere and I'm still struggling to find biking exciting again.

I ain't been out for about 5 weeks and have also thought about selling everything and calling it a day.

In the last few days I've decided not to be too hasty and keep the bike for a while longer.

I'm 'forcing' myself to go out on it today to see what happens, I know one thing though, I'll be sure to keep away from any ikeas, just in case i go all wibble.

Wish me luck!
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

if you can buy a new bike , a totally different type ,for instance i popped down south to buy a mz baghira super moto,there was a log book problem so whilst down there i bought a mcn and saw a kawasaki drifter for sale nearby,bought it and loved it for a year anyway till i got the bike blues again and changed it for thruxston....for me chopping and changing works.. cheer up

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”