Pyrenees Trails

Where you've been and what you done
Simon_100

Re: Pyrenees Trails

Post by Simon_100 »

beddowsm wrote:
ReaperX wrote: All I can say about the fire is that you have probably scaped a big fine, specialy after the big fires in the area where you just been riding and the ones near the border from France is the east coast. It is forbiden to light fires in the wild and you could it face seriuos charges.
Agree. But I just want to point out that the fires were not big and were lit by an experienced woodsman. And were under full control at all time, and put out before we hit the tents.

Of course that means diddly squat...but we were careful.
I quite simply cannot believe this - but sadly I can.

You rdce right through an area in which over 5,000 hectares were incinerated just six minths ago - so much for your 'woodcraft' that you didn't even see the destruction!

Furthermore, your jaunt was at a time when people died by having to jump off cliffs to escape the forest fire just a few hundred kilomtres way.

Sorry zero tolerance is the rule - thnaks to people like you almost half of central, i.e. the Community of Madrid, Castilla la Mancha and Castilla y Leon, Spain is all but forbidden to trail riders.

Thanks a bunch!
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
ReaperX

Post by ReaperX »

well I did told them Simon, I when after the fires in Figeres and it brake my heart :( every time someone lights a fire in the forest in the middle of summer.
By the way how r u?
does the bike still going strong?
Hope to see you some time my good man.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

The Spanish Biker wrote:You rdce right through an area in which over 5,000 hectares were incinerated just six minths ago - so much for your 'woodcraft' that you didn't even see the destruction!
Bleedin heck. Calm down. We rode hundreds of miles and I never witnessed the destruction you say. So get your facts about where we were and what we saw before such an abusive post. And yes, I do find your tone abusive.
The Spanish Biker wrote: thnaks to people like you almost half of central, i.e. the Community of Madrid, Castilla la Mancha and Castilla y Leon, Spain is all but forbidden to trail riders.
I only found about about the fires when we returned home. Yes, I know lighting fires is dangerous but that goes for anywhere in the world, not just Spain. And as I said we were careful and are not "kids" when it comes to this kind of thing.
The Spanish Biker wrote:Thanks a bunch!
Your post has really wound me up. Its people like you that cause people like me to stop posting for the fear of reprisal. Whether that be pictures taken which may offend people to holiday snaps of a fire. I know several decent people who no longer post because of people like you.

Bloody hell, really wound up. Maybe a simple PM rather than handbags at dawn would have been more appropriate.

I am not commenting on anything further you have to say on the matter.
magnum pi

Post by magnum pi »

How was the drz400 was it more suited to the trails than the big ktm and did you need the bigger tank just thought id ask as im planning a simerler trip.(but wouldnt dream of lighting a camp fire!) cheers
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

magnum pi wrote:How was the drz400 was it more suited to the trails than the big ktm and did you need the bigger tank just thought id ask as im planning a simerler trip.(but wouldnt dream of lighting a camp fire!) cheers
The DRZ was fine. There was only 1 trail the KTM's failed, and the DRZ didnt have a go. Didnt need a bigger tank. The trails were up to 50 miles long so you could do fuel stops after each trail if planned properly.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

HI magnum..
I've rode a few off the pyrennes trails and while a drz would be easier a big bike is more than capable..as long as you plan fuel stops iit aint a problem...the Andorra section is longest but even a fuel stop aint hard...in spring and autumn a small bike is needed as the trails are very cut up and slippery..

Most trails are near villages and about 50 mls long its all the from site to trail and back that adds the millage..its a. Truely brilliant place but DONT ride alone..and phone signal is shit.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

beddowsm wrote:Your post has really wound me up. Its people like you that cause people like me to stop posting for the fear of reprisal. Whether that be pictures taken which may offend people to holiday snaps of a fire. I know several decent people who no longer post because of people like you.
Hello Mike, et al

This post is a very belated, but none-the-less sincere, apology for my comments above. The issue has sprung up now as I’ve just stumbled across your post of the excellent videos of your Pyrenean trip last summer – a big ‘Thank you’ for posting these, as well as this trip report.

I didn’t follow up nearer the time, which in retrospect was a big mistake, as a) I was still angry for several weeks afterwards and b) you specifically ruled out any further debate on the matter and I took you at your word.

I remained angry for two reasons; firstly, I simply couldn’t get the mental image of a father throwing himself off a fifty-plus metre cliff with his young daughter out of my mind – the stuff of nightmares really. Although this incident wasn’t filmed, of course, although I think the poor chap’s family witnessed it from their position of safety – poor family too when you think about it.

Secondly, the fires earlier in the year, that I referred to your riding past, have a very personal impact as one of the sites, the hermitage and ravine of Santa Maria de Arbolo near Gerri de la Sal on the N260, is, or rather was, one of my favourite walks. Furthermore it was the last place my dear old dog, Streak, was able to walk to before we had to have him put down last year. The whole valley was ravaged by fire last March just a few days before the spring rains would have saved it from destruction. OK, forests do regenerate given time, but even being optimistic, at fifty-five years old I won’t live to see that beautiful view again.

In parentheses; you posted some photos of yourselves at a viewpoint next to another hermitage on a mountaintop, Sant Quiri, where three of the HISS trails coincide and it is another favourite walk of mine - I go there about half a dozen times each year. Looking at your route map you rode along the ridge due east to Baró rather than take the valley trail south-east, which would have led you through the destruction zone and eventually to Gerri de la Sal. You could certainly have seen the scorched forest from Sant Quiri summit if you had looked.

There's lots of stuff I could add about the causes of fires, they are virtually all deliberate one way or another, the total banning of wild camping in a region two-and-ahalf-times the area on Wales, which includes all of the central section of the Pyrenees, and the imminent introduction of special licenses for green lane riding, which may effectively make it impossible for foreigners - difficult enough for residents - to ride here. But that may be better on a general post.

Regards

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

The spanish really dont want tourists or money do they..banning or licensing is not the answer..we'll just ride in and out and never see the police anyway...dowt they could catch us anyway as they cant put fuel in there bikes..

A recreational license is fine..with a list of guides ...

could you put up. A seperate pst with reference to the trails ban or license please...unless we are informed we act otherwise...
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Can't believe I've just found this thread. When you're on hols yourself and a couple of weeks go by ... the number of threads to catch up on :(

Superb photo's. Brilliant trip. Thanks for sharing. The Spanish Pyrenees are now back in my bucket list (again !). I too wasn't aware of the clampdown. When we've been we've just gone where the wind and nose takes us. I'd also been keen in finding the general no-go areas, at least that way if I stray I'll know i'm being naughty rather than ignorant ;) Are there any websites explaining where's and where nots ? I use Wikiloc for a lot of route satnav ideas and some of the routes posted can be quite old and i'd have no idea.
cheers Mul.

Three hoorah's for the Pyrenees.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Tramp wrote:The spanish really dont want tourists or money do they..banning or licensing is not the answer..we'll just ride in and out and never see the police anyway...dowt they could catch us anyway as they cant put fuel in there bikes..

A recreational license is fine..with a list of guides ...

could you put up. A seperate pst with reference to the trails ban or license please...unless we are informed we act otherwise...
Yep, I'll do that as and when I have some more detailed info regarding the licenses, but in the meantime here's the info about camping.

Regs

Simon
Mul001 wrote:Can't believe I've just found this thread. When you're on hols yourself and a couple of weeks go by ... the number of threads to catch up on :(

Superb photo's. Brilliant trip. Thanks for sharing. The Spanish Pyrenees are now back in my bucket list (again !). I too wasn't aware of the clampdown. When we've been we've just gone where the wind and nose takes us. I'd also been keen in finding the general no-go areas, at least that way if I stray I'll know i'm being naughty rather than ignorant ;) Are there any websites explaining where's and where nots ? I use Wikiloc for a lot of route satnav ideas and some of the routes posted can be quite old and i'd have no idea.
cheers Mul.

Three hoorah's for the Pyrenees.
Hi, glad to know you're back on 'keen' mode re the Pyrenees!

As above, I'll post the latest abouyt the lu¡icense issue, but it'0s an ever chageing scene at the moment.

For some general guides abiut the rules, do's and don'ts, etc. in Spain check out my blog.

Regs

Simon

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”