Morocco Newbie

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
steveaaa0

Morocco Newbie

Post by steveaaa0 »

My better half and I are heading to Morocco early September, we are crossing from Tarifa to Ceuta and would appreciate any advice on negotiating the border crossing in to Morocco.
Also any info on must see roads or towns to visit would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.
LITTLE FRED

Re: Morocco Newbie

Post by LITTLE FRED »

hI STEVEAAA
As soon as you get off the ferry park up and buy your insurance and then get your passport stamped,it is possible to drive away without doing so but if you get stopped or have any problem the cost will be much dearer
you can do most of Morrocco in two weeks so you go for it
little fred
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

One of the previous issues of ABR had a dedicated section for Morocco

As LittleFred says, get your insurance papers at the border, there will be many people wanting to do the paperwok for you and will want paying but it's not that difficult

More important that you have it

Get your Moroccan Dirhams at the border too

Enjoy the sights and remember to post some piccies and a ride report
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

When you get off the ferry in Ceuta, you are still in Spain, technically. The border is a couple of km's down the road.
I would do my temp import form on line before you go (D16ter). At the border, all you need is you passports vehicle docs and the D16.

As far as I recall no money or insurance can be bought at the border (but I'll let you know I'll be back there in 3 weeks time) the nearest place to get them is Tetouan.

Places to go and roads to take are all dependent on how long you are going for, but I'd recommend, Merzouga for Erg Chebbi, Todra gorge and tiz'n'tichka pass just for starters there are so many other places.

For more info check this out

Most of all enjoy!
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

We had a really easy border crossing because we were prepared with all our paperwork.

Chris Scott's book "morocco overland" is a great help an his website has links to or downloads for all the paperwork you will need to help get you through the border. It took us just over half an hour to get through.

http://www.morocco-overland.com/docs/index.htm

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

There is no insurance at the Ceuta/Fnideq border. When you get through just keep going down the road, pass the petrol station (fill there actually, its cheap) then you see a row of shops on the right a bit further down. One is a money changer. Get cash and he will direct you to the insurance office.

In terms of tips for the border, it's pretty easy. Just make sure you have the right docs ie V5, immigration form and temp vehicle import form. Passport obviously.
McOo

Post by McOo »

FMFox wrote:Chris Scott's book "morocco overland" is a great help an his website has links to or downloads for all the paperwork you will need to help get you through the border.
+1

You can get Dirhams from Algeciras if you don't want your first task on entry into Morocco to be finding a bank, but rates are ~20% lower, so only exchange a small amount.

For us the border crossing was pretty easy, the people there are helpful and guides aren't really necessary. The guards and office dwellers will point you in the right direction.
steveaaa0

Post by steveaaa0 »

Thanks for all your help and advise guys, really useful. Im not worried about the crossing but a little knowledge before the event is always handy :)

@FMFox, thanks for the info on Chris Scott's book, its now on order.
steveaaa0

Post by steveaaa0 »

Enjoy the sights and remember to post some piccies and a ride report[/quote]

Paul-S, I will try and post up a report and pictures but it will be my first attempt so keep your fingers crossed :)

Thanks for your help.
steveaaa0

Post by steveaaa0 »

Peejay wrote:When you get off the ferry in Ceuta, you are still in Spain, technically. The border is a couple of km's down the road.
I would do my temp import form on line before you go (D16ter). At the border, all you need is you passports vehicle docs and the D16.

As far as I recall no money or insurance can be bought at the border (but I'll let you know I'll be back there in 3 weeks time) the nearest place to get them is Tetouan.

Places to go and roads to take are all dependent on how long you are going for, but I'd recommend, Merzouga for Erg Chebbi, Todra gorge and tiz'n'tichka pass just for starters there are so many other places.

For more info check this out

Most of all enjoy!
Thanks Peejay, appreciate the help and pointers. I cant wait to get out there now :)
Enjoy your trip and ride safely, let us all know how it goes.

Steve

Return to “TRAVEL”