Morocco--Green Card Insurance

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Ted99uk

Re: Morocco--Green Card Insurance

Post by Ted99uk »

My understanding of why it is worthless is that it is legal-minimum 3rd party only, so it is no use to you if you sustain damage in the incident. You are complying with the law though so you need to have it.
I agree with one comment. The people and the attitudes are different in the south where they are predominantly Berbers against Arabs in the North.
I found the Berbers more friendly and helpful.

DONT FORGET guys, if you will be riding in remote areas, asaposs when you arrive in Morocco, visit a Souk and buy a big box of Biro's to give to the village kids. I took sweets as well but got criticised for it (tooth-rot) even though the kids loved them.
OH, and take Aspirins in foil push-out packs. We were asked for them in villages.

Ted.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The kids will love them yes, but there's no dental care there at all so best not to take sweets really. Fruit is better (specially oranges), also crayons are good for small children, they love those. Coloured chalk is also good.

Just watch how you give them out though - if there are five kids there give something to all five. If you only have three but there are 5 kids dont give anything. Reason being that world war three breaks out if some kids have something and the other dont - they fight and it gets ugly.

If you do happen to give out any clothes when you're in the mountains to a nomad or a berber, don't give a woman a pair of woolly socks (or any socks in fact). Yes you might think it's a good thing to do but in doing so you (unknown to you) are actually saying "you are so ugly that even your feet need to be hidden". I've seen the results of that and its not good :laugh:

Also feel free to give empty water bottles because they use them for milk, fuel, water, you name it and they appreciate it, especially the nomads.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Mike54 wrote:Ray, what I posted above is entirely accurate. Your post is basically saying "none of these guys know what they're talking about so look up Tim because he really does know"

Bear in mind that Tim is not the only one who has good experience of morocco, ok?
Mike,

Sincerest appologies. I had not intention whatsoever to demean you or anyone else for that matter.

I actually meant what I said. Tim Cullis is an expert, I have been to many of his lectures and his knowledge is vast and he goes so often he even has a bike permenantly based there (or Gib maybe).

I fully appreciate that there are people on here and other forums that may have better knowledge but the has a whole database set up just to enlighten riders and that is what I was trying to point out.

Again, sorry to cause any uspet.

Ray
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Ditto Ray B)
Ted99uk

Post by Ted99uk »

Mike54 wrote:The kids will love them yes, but there's no dental care there at all so best not to take sweets really. Fruit is better (specially oranges), also crayons are good for small children, they love those. Coloured chalk is also good.
I reasoned ONE sweet wouldn't cause too much tooth decay, but there you go.

As to giving them out I found the best way was to have say 10 in the top pocket of the tank bag ON THEIR OWN if poss. Or in a big jacket pocket. 6 pairs of little hands diving into your bag is a bit daunting. Replenish that little stock well away from the kids if you have to open up your luggage to get them.
Be aware that you could stop for say 3 kids and whilst you are giving out 3 pens another dozen kids will appear out of thin air. It happens all the time.
You stop at the roadside miles from anywhere (you thought), to have a breather. In seconds someone turns up to chat. Where the hell did he come from?
Their joy at receiving a pen is so huge I couldn't decide whether to be delighted for them or ashamed. Just imagine going to school and not being able to take part because you haven't got a biro and can't afford to buy one.

It's a wonderful experience though. I hope I can go again.

Ted.

Return to “TRAVEL”