please tell me i am wrong

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Still Gotta Pulse

Re: please tell me i am wrong

Post by Still Gotta Pulse »

We did a fair bit of mileage last year through Swiss and when stopped at the toll we were told 40 Euros. I said "I don't think so" and was directed where to get off, as it were.
There was no signs of expectancy or pressure to use the motorway system.

Swiss is a beautiful place to ride, why use a motorway and miss it all?

Many people like to avoid Switzerland due to the expence but to my way of thinking if we're prepared to pay £100s in fuel to get where we're going then what's the issue with a few more notes over the top if it's merely a drive through to other regions/countries?
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Mad Cow wrote: enter on a non toll road and decline the usually very pursuasive attempts to make you buy one.

However I do seem to recall the signage is very biased towards the motorways, it can be tricky to travel on the (much more fun back roads).

That's the reason why I haven't been to Switzerland for eight or nine years despite our home from home being only about 40 miles from the border. It's pay up or spend the rest of your life trying to get from one end of the country to the other. Last time we were there it was in a camper van - hardly the quickest thing on the road - and on the ordinary roads we were always stuck behind a local in a hatchback. I hadn't seen slower driving till I went to the States last summer :laugh:

Re road signage, it's not only the Swiss that pull the "every sign points to the toll motorway" trick. Try navigating through northern France without using the Autoroute des Anglais. Even my sat-nav got lost last time and I once spent nearly two hours trying to go round Laon, a town about a mile across, without ending up on the autoroute.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

This all seems to show the benefits of using a decent satnav where you can set it to 'Avoid Toll Roads'.

I do it all the time, it always works.
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

moto al wrote:eve chaps checking out prices to go through switzerland ,2012 price is £29.00.sorry f**k that .please tell me im fing wrong al????
Al, they come on ebay (then stick it on with tape and resell it)every week if you want to save a few £££! Sophe and I rode our bikes straight through Swiss and back on the way to Italy on motorways in 2010 and did`nt bother with them and no problems, however 3 years previous we where just made to buy one half way through Austria when checked in a service area!

cheers Marc
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
Dysan

Post by Dysan »

Think last time I was there it cost us €25 for the motorway pass in the car, don't know whether its cheaper for the bike. Its annoying if you're only there for a short time but it does last a year. Compared with the €30 just to get through France to Geneva on the Autoroutes its a bargain.
dave_ac

Post by dave_ac »

Have they not banned satnav's? Or planning on doing so?

Gov's are the same all over the world, they screw you over for the 'greater good' and then some more so it looks like they are working hard
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

Sleepy wrote:This all seems to show the benefits of using a decent satnav where you can set it to 'Avoid Toll Roads'.

I do it all the time, it always works.
I agree, Thats my plan for getting through france later this year. :)
Grey Beard

Post by Grey Beard »

I don't think SatNavs will be banned in Switzerland. However, any SatNav based speed camera database is strictly illegal in Switzerland. You are not allowed to have the Swiss Scamera database installed, even if it is not activated.

Grey Beard
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

The same goes for radar detectors as well... also illegal.

Return to “TRAVEL”