the corrieyairack pass

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
moto al

Re: the corrieyairack pass

Post by moto al »

africajim wrote:I'm the other troll in LWR's pic! I was casing out the ford!

I've crossed it three times, twice in a 4x4 and once by bike (@T to be precise!)

I was present at a major altercation between the land owner at the Fort Augustus end, police were involved but this was not a criminal issue but civil, police were there to keep the peace.

The Highland 4x4 club kept the drovers road drivable when the council stopped upkeep of it. It was repaired around July when most of us had holidays. This kept it drivable for a few yrs but the gates and chains put an end to it. By the way, the washout at the Fort end was due to the land owner bursting the cast pipe from the dam, the ensuing damage was then blamed on 4x4's. :(

Always great to see how people on bike forums are quick enough to condemn 4x4 owners for damage and access being restricted to lanes, then in the next breath, "why can't I ride my bike up it?" It's vehicular access at the end of the day, amazing how the divide and conquer logic works so well when it comes to the ramblers getting lanes closed to vehicles.

To the best of my knowledge the pass is not drivable and breaching gates, signs and chains will only lead to prosecution.
thanks bud.so much for that idea .sit safe.al
moto al
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

africajim wrote:I'm the other troll in LWR's pic! I was casing out the ford!

I've crossed it three times, twice in a 4x4 and once by bike (@T to be precise!)

I was present at a major altercation between the land owner at the Fort Augustus end, police were involved but this was not a criminal issue but civil, police were there to keep the peace.

The Highland 4x4 club kept the drovers road drivable when the council stopped upkeep of it. It was repaired around July when most of us had holidays. This kept it drivable for a few yrs but the gates and chains put an end to it. By the way, the washout at the Fort end was due to the land owner bursting the cast pipe from the dam, the ensuing damage was then blamed on 4x4's. :(

Always great to see how people on bike forums are quick enough to condemn 4x4 owners for damage and access being restricted to lanes, then in the next breath, "why can't I ride my bike up it?" It's vehicular access at the end of the day, amazing how the divide and conquer logic works so well when it comes to the ramblers getting lanes closed to vehicles.

To the best of my knowledge the pass is not drivable and breaching gates, signs and chains will only lead to prosecution.
Hear hear. We need to work together on this, bikes and 4x4s. I said in another thread that riders who condemn 4x4's are no better than the walkers in terms of prejudice to a different user group. I've seen MANY bikes well off the track on green lanes in England, and walkers reporting them for it. Its this element of morons (and the same 4x drivers who go off track) that buggers the whole thing for the rest of us. We need to work together.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Just bumping this back up again. It seems the land owner on the Fort Augustus side is the problem but although I'm not sure he actually has a legal right to stop people going over it, does anyone have any updated info on the legalities of it ??
Rangoonruns

Post by Rangoonruns »

If you rode this pass and just went around or lifted small, low weight bikes over the gates, realistically what law have you broken? trespassing as far as i know carries no penalty as long as no damage is done i cant see how the police or any landowner can do anything??

Just asking for opinions on my line of thinking? or am I miles off the mark?
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

As far as I am aware you need the land owner's permission for any vehicular access on private land in Scotland.That's why I have never bothered to buy an off-road capable bike. :(
crofty

Post by crofty »

I have done the Corrieyairack a few times about 20/30 years ago on my DT125/KMX200 bikes, prior to the early nineties it was quite popular, always a bad sign.
It was enjoyable and had a real pass feel to it going from Laggan to Fort Augustus.
There are still a few off road routes in Scotland if you know where to look. A bit of study on OS maps turn them up. My new Tenere on one in Kinrosshire

IMG_20161208_144951526_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161208_144951526_HDR.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
RandG

Post by RandG »

Crofty, we need to get out doing these together :whistle:

Footnote, last May we took 1 x GSA 1 x GS 1 x KTM 1190 1 x Transalp 800 and 2 x XT660z over there, it was a riot, really hard work, and met no one, however a couyple of lads recently went over on 4rts and got severe grief.

Sprinster, the CP is a different kettle of fish as it is a right of way, but apparently a very grey area legally.
crofty

Post by crofty »

RandG bike away for the winter now but April we can plan something.
GSA over the CP!!, I wouldn't have even thought that was possible :woohoo:
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I just found this which says it's a scheduled ancient monument so although you can use it if you do any damage it's a criminal offence.
www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=211
RandG

Post by RandG »

crofty wrote:RandG bike away for the winter now but April we can plan something.
GSA over the CP!!, I wouldn't have even thought that was possible :woohoo:
Aye no been out on my road bikes since October, trials bikes at this time of year for me.

It wasn't a time to stop for pics but we have a few...

ffs :angry:

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5917379D

Return to “TRAVEL”