Touring Bike Travel

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Dick Dastardly

Re: Touring Bike Travel

Post by Dick Dastardly »

[/quote]

you are not wrong dick but price must be a consideration too, and i must say the RT is a better all rounder i reckon. i would also rather have an LT than a wing[/quote]

Your right, price is a factor. LT, never had one so can't comment but it's all subjective for me. Two up touring and no rush to be anywhere it would always be the wing. Just for the mind set that comes with it. If I wanted to blast miles every day then the RT would be my choice.
" Ride hard, fall softly"
davsato

Post by davsato »

Dick Dastardly wrote:
you are not wrong dick but price must be a consideration too, and i must say the RT is a better all rounder i reckon. i would also rather have an LT than a wing[/quote]

Your right, price is a factor. LT, never had one so can't comment but it's all subjective for me. Two up touring and no rush to be anywhere it would always be the wing. Just for the mind set that comes with it. If I wanted to blast miles every day then the RT would be my choice.[/quote]

the wing is a good bike but i just dont fit on it very well! you dont expect it on such a big bike but if you are over 6' there is a lack of legroom that is a surprise. its a hoot to ride though and comes with that fantastic social side. the LT has the same level of gear (plus reverse!) but its a bit more modern in the handling dept and the engine is a peach. i believe it has bigger luggage too? the RT is rougher with the flat twin and has fewer gizmos, but its very comfortable and a more involved, sportier ride than the other two. limited to either bmw or aftermarket clip on luggage though.
if money were no object i would def have a ubertourer like these in my stable, also look at HD megaFLSTDFRSEDERNMHYTG low rider midnight sunshine whatever, and the six cylinder BMW. triumph 1200 out soon, too
Dave
outrunner

Post by outrunner »

AustinW wrote:A BMW R1200RT completed my Galloway forest trip in April this year. Have a look on XRV.org for more, there might be stuff on here but it's basically a 50ish mile run on the forestry tracks in the Galloway forest including a climb to a TV mast at about 2000'. The bike seemed to handle it all fine.
Yes, and didn't he do well? He was never out of the seat the whole day! :)

Andy.
Grumpy auld man.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

You mean this RT . . .
RT1200 Man.jpg
RT1200 Man.jpg (162.35 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
les049

Post by les049 »

Chris Chris Chris, you dont want to be putting yourself through all that hassle, travelling around the globe on 2 wheels in the cramped discomfort of an RT, waking up every morning to a new scene, stopping whenever you feel the need or simply just want to, covering whatever mileage each day you want to and not coz anyoone else has you on a timetable.

So I'll tell you what I'll do for you..........I will, with a bit of further persuading change places with you for the duration of the trip, all you have to do is turn up at my place of work each day/evening/night (delete according to rota). Whilst i will whisk youre other half off to wherever and for no charge.

I know its a Poo job but I am just thinking of you as a fellow forum member so I will abiet under some minor pressure volunteer my services to take your place on that RT and do it for you.

See, you've only been on this site 5 minutes and you have offers like this, what a great site eh !!

In all seriousness, go enjoy you Lucky b******.
Selous

Post by Selous »

I dont see a problem with a RT or Wing, other than service / repair cost, depending on how much stuff on the bike to take of for the mech to do his thing.

You have not said what bike you ride at the moment I would suggest, take something your already used to riding, bearing in mind the wait of, it fully loaded.

also have a look at HU website you might get some good info from there,

all the best

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Chris and Catalina

Post by Chris and Catalina »

Thanks For the offer les049 but I'm afraid I will have to decline, you know of course if it was just me I would snap up your offer but its the wife you see she is insisting.

It has taken a long time to get to this point and the hard bit is to decide yes we will take the chance and see what comes.

Chris
Bike Safe
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Dick Dastardly wrote:Off road 2 up is a no-no. Gentle gravel roads are OK but the fun stuff is a solo thing.
Nah, its amazing where you can get to 2 up. Took the missus on the XRV National Trail ride in 2010 and managed to get down the rutland rigg steps, through mud, ruts and whatever else the trails put our way. Its all about practise. Agree, its more fun solo but dont be affraid to explore a bit further affield if the opportunity is there.

And this was taken coming back from Piel Island earlier this year. The missus is filming, and the bikes loaded with luggage.

[video][/video]
Chris and Catalina

Post by Chris and Catalina »

Selous

I have an RT that we are clocking up the miles.

Chris
Bike Safe
les049

Post by les049 »

Chris remember the old military saying of "no plan ever survives an attack". I would make a list of where you'd like to go then take a realistic look at what time and other constraints apply to you's.
Of course its all about the journey not the destination, so just go for it or else you will be looking back thinking we could have done that and perhaps should have !!

All the best

Les

Return to “TRAVEL”