greece maybe

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
garyboy

Re: greece maybe

Post by garyboy »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:03 am I did Bulgaria via Greece by crossing from Ancona to Igoumenitsa , and then up to Thessaloniki. That bit of Greece is best avoided IMHO !--glad to get into Bulgaria.
What area of Greece is best avoided .. and why ??
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

PaulinBont wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:02 am Gary,
Having gone through Greece a few times to get to Turkey, I’d suggest that you look at the Italy-Greece ferry as an option ; it’s a great crossing and you get to go over the Alps ( from France) and Dolomites to get there…it’s a great ride!

I’ve also done it via the Balkans and via Hungary-Romania-Bulgaria if you need any more information
Links to a ride report would be much appreciated ;) .
Many years ago we did the Dolomites/Slovenia/Croatia route before turning around at Kotor Bay but have unfinished business with Eastern Europe and Turkey.
Apologies for the hijack Gary.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Go for it...you'll have a great time. We've done Calais to Split, Croatia in 6 days....which was about 350 miles from the Greek border and en-route for the Adriatic side of Greece...it was an excellent route.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Scott_rider wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:44 pm Go for it...you'll have a great time. We've done Calais to Split, Croatia in 6 days....which was about 350 miles from the Greek border and en-route for the Adriatic side of Greece...it was an excellent route.
Scott .. could you name a few towns on your route so i can get an idea? cheers.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

garyboy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:50 pm
Scott_rider wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:44 pm Go for it...you'll have a great time. We've done Calais to Split, Croatia in 6 days....which was about 350 miles from the Greek border and en-route for the Adriatic side of Greece...it was an excellent route.
Scott .. could you name a few towns on your route so i can get an idea? cheers.
Yes, of course. Broadly speaking, this is the route we took. We stayed in some smaller places very near to some of these towns but I don't remember the exact names. I think we've still got the gpx file of the exact route that I might be able to post up, if I can find it.

Calais
Charleville-Mezieres and Givet...in the Ardennes mountains area
Esch sur Alzettee...in the fairy tale castle area of Luxembourg
Nancy...back into France
Colmar...in the Vosges mountains area
Freiburg...Germany
Konstanz...picturesque massive lake, Switzerland
Innsbruck...Austrian Alps area
Cortina de Ampezzo...Italian Dolomites area
Ljubljana...capital of Slovenia, lovely small city centre (and gorgeous women)
Trieste...back into Italy
Portoroz...seaside town in Slovenia
Bihac area...Bosnia, we'd got lost and were too far inland from the planned coastal route but I'm glad I saw it
Jasenice...near the Adriatic coast road area in Croatia
Split...lovely ancient Roman city in Croatia

From Split I reckon you could make the 350 miles to Greece in 1 or 2 days of riding

This is the ride report that I did at the time with some extra towns in it that I'd forgotten... :?
https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... ia#p623230
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
gbags

Post by gbags »

We took a mountain route to Greece, which you might like.

We crossed to Calais and then rode down to Annecy, crossed some minor Alps down to Genoa. Then down through the Appenine spine of Italy to Bari and took the ferry across to Montenegro and on into Greece.
Then came the ride home, up into Bulgaria and Romania, through the lovely Carpathians into Ukraine to Lviv.
We turned left there and came back all along the Alps through Austria and Germany.
Great trip, amazing mountains and no problems except Serbia wouldn’t let us in as we’d come from Bosnia if memory serves and Serbia didn’t recognise Bosnia.
The Carpathians were a delight.

Have a great trip and let us know how you get on.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Aww .. thanks guys,
Very much appreciated 8-) 8-)
Will check through
Steve398

Post by Steve398 »

In 2009 we traveled down though Belgium, Holland, France and down though Italy before crossing to Igoumenitsa from Bari, then wandered through Greece stopping in Lefkada (beautiful), Athens and Thesilonika before riding up through Bulgaria, where I got devoured by bedbugs. Then Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia (uninsured), Croatia again, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, France and home.
5 weeks and 5,500 miles, a superb trip. We’ve returned to Lefkada on the bike many times since, it’s a lovely place but getting more popular every year, so this year we’re off to the Peloponnese to a scout out for a longer trip next year.
Have a great trip, for us it’s the one thing that keeps us sane!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Sounds great, Steve 8-) 8-) 8-) best wishes :D

Can't see me doing it this year tbh. with finances as they are .. but still possible yet .. might even get to join you at some time :) ;)

I may try to get to Ireland this year, as never been there, for the abr rally, perhaps via TT land? All a dream atm, lol. Starting to prep the 2 bikes, nc750s and crf250Rally, for a long camping trip of some sort, despite my extortionate rent rise.

My tentative plan for Greece :roll: is to visit the ancient classical sites. It would more or less be a straight line from the chunnel, through the country parks, adriatic coast down, and return, afterwards, inland, as per yours, back, taking time, as I am retired and am time-rich if not money-rich.

I may be an April fool, lol, but there is still time to do something.. I guess the secret is to focus on 1 plan?

Return to “TRAVEL”