Sleeping mats

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Ksithumper

Re: Sleeping mats

Post by Ksithumper »

The best advice I was given was to spend more on a sleep mat than you spend on your sleeping bag...and to buy a decent sleeping bag.
You lose lots of body heat on cold ground and an air bed is a poor insulator. Down insulated is bliss.
If you are worried about your groundsheet on stony ground, a piece of tyvek (roofing vapor barrier) underneath the tent base works well and packs small. Free from any building site!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yeah .. this has been an issue for me for many years, though actually I have only camped several times in that time.
I always use a footprint under the tent anyway, even if just for mud off cleaning. And does help with a legged cot thing, presumably, though they are just as cold as being on the floor, as mentioned.
I started with roll mat, and am now going back to one, having tried blow up, self inflating, etc, though never tried a down filled thing or an expensive bed mat.
I agree that the mat is as important as the bag, but bulk znd weight are important.
My thoughts are that a couple of thick wide roll mats, although bulky, can be carried high on the bike, and no need to palaver about inflating.

unfortunately, whatever i do seems to end up a real mess anyway ..

Image20180310_164436 by gary boy, on Flickr
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

For camping in cold climate a piece of laminate/parket underfloor is also a good insulator under your mattress. 2mm foam with silver colour foil on one side is cheap and easily available. It rolls up small(ish). You can also get one that folds.
Tarp over your tent will help keep it warm on the inside.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Exped mat. I have tried many, from a military roll up, to a airbed. I wasn't too excited about the exped when I bought it, but then the first night out
and it was so much better than all others I have tried. Had it for 3 years now, now problem. Has a built in 'pump' or use a schnozzle bag.
I have a 7 which gives an approx mattress thickness of 7 cm. Very comfy and warm.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

+1 for a down mat. They are not just for winter camping, they make a difference in those chilly September nights.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Well I have ordered the big Agnes for using on the solo trips so will see how it goes , when I'm on the outfit I can take a proper camp bed and a bigger tent ,
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG (354.14 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

And when my new outfit is finished I will be able to do some serious off road riding starting on the French TET , Wasp Sidecar's are fitting a Ural chassis for me at the moment , I will need some weight in the chair so should make for comfortable camping !!!
IMG_3883.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG (267.95 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Regarding down mats (and sleeping bags for that matter) don't store them in their compression sacks. Store hanging up or loose in a pillowcase.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Return to “TRAVEL”