Ferries to Ireland and other WAW questions.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tonibe63

Ferries to Ireland and other WAW questions.

Post by Tonibe63 »

Myself and her indoors have 12 days off work coming up and have thoughts about doing the Wild Atlantic Way (or part of it) on 2 bikes but yet to book anything.
Our view is that it's a holiday not a race to tick a box so if the forecast for the next day is really wet then we are prepared to sit it out at the hotel/b&b etc even if it means not completing the whole thing in one trip. This means my thoughts are to just book the ferry from Uk to Republic of Ireland and wing it from there.
So I'm after advice from those in 'the know' about travelling in Republic of Ireland (not going in to Northern Ireland on this trip):-
Could there be a problem booking the return ferry just a day in advance?
What is the situation regarding medical help ie do you need travel insurance?
Anything else that could be useful much appreciated.

Cheers Tony.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Scott_rider

Re: Ferries to Ireland and other WAW questions.

Post by Scott_rider »

I have turned up at the ferry port in Rosslare a few times out of season without a pre-booked ticket and have always got onto the Ferry ( that's in the car, rather than on the bike) but I'm sure that wouldn't be the case in the height of the summer season. The evening boat which leaves at about 9pm isn't usually fully booked, if that helps...
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Tony,

Firstly I would pay the wee bit extra for a flexible ticket - this should allow you to change dates and ports (Stena) - check with company to confirm

Secondly - I would follow the good weather (or least damp lol) - it could be lashing it down in Galway but sunny in Donegal on the same day.

Getting accommodation (outside holiday season ) will not be a problem.

Before you commit to purchasing your tickets - check with Nutt Travel to see if they can better your price
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... xPUwXcwSlP

Don't know re medical - reckon it should be fine but I would check to be sure
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

from my experience I have bought a ferry ticket on arrival at port but generally buy the ticket the day before outgoing and return, never had a problem and not known of any others, get the E111 card replacement dont remember what its called, probably some kind of health insurance will be a good thing. Ireland is not so far away for me anyway and does not deserve to be rushed, take your time, its generally the Irish way. I suggest using the WAW as a rough guide only, if at all, me as a lover of coastlines delve in to the details a little more, but I must say I do enjoy the information boards etc that the WAW has probably encouraged on its route. I hope the weather is fair to you, enjoy the smell of the peat (its days are probably numbered) a pint of the black stuff, some black and white pudding and some strange shaped sausage, and take the time to have the Craic with some locals. I was there back in the early summer the memory is already fading so please Post some pics on your return to help remind me. Please Dont get hung up about this but I have come across the odd bit of slippy when wet tar so suggest moderating your speed a little more than you would normally in the wet. Enjoy.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Go to Achill island

It’s stunning

I wouldn’t try to do too much

Accommodation at this time of year should be fine

Travel Insurance-probably a good idea as drugs are expensive there

Ferries - not sure about Dublin as I always go into Belfast as it’s nearer to me on uk side
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated as is any more .....
We're fans of booking.com, airb&b or just rock up and find somewhere so looking forward to the challenge but not the cold bus stop option, lol.
I've also read a few ride reports and watched plenty of youtube videos as research to gauge how much time is needed and we will just go with the flow rather than rush through. The outline plan is to get a fast ferry into Dublin and then start going clockwise and see what happens, there's just the 2 of us so no need to overplan it and if it means leaving some for a return visit then c'est la vie.
Just need to keep an eye on the long-range forecast ........
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
crofty

Post by crofty »

Before you go download the Irish Met site, it has a rain forecast for a week which can be very handy for choosing where to start and which direction to go etc Its only a forecast but it has helped me dodge the rain https://www.met.ie/

I would get travel insurance, and one of these new UK global health GHIC cards won't hurt https://www.gov.uk/global-health-insurance-card

I have done it a couple of times but latterly i have used airbnbs for a few days here and there to pick off the best bits. The Kenmare/Bantry area are great locations for the Peninsulas and Ring of Kerry. Westport for the Mayo and Galway coast. Anyway whatever you do have a great time and a few pint of Guinness
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Signposts are in kilometres, if you regard them as miles then you will get your timings right.

Why? The countryside is stunning and the roads can be that bad.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Return to “TRAVEL”