Travel Chaos.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
mechanic

Travel Chaos.

Post by mechanic »

Just wondered if any one knew how bikers were being treated during the very long queues necessary to enter the tunnel or board a ferry. Are they allowed to filter to the front for instance? Unusually hot weather coupled with protective riding gear could potentially lead to medical emergencies. Anyone know what’s going on out there?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Travel Chaos.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Well, I think we can agree on one 'Brexit benefit': freedom of movement has certainly ended!
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

In the last decade I've flown to and from London about 10 times. In my experience there wasn't much more freedom of movement before Brexit.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
simonw

Post by simonw »

I live not far from the Eurotunnel terminal. All tunnel traffic was being filtered onto the A20 entrance. The A20 is single carriageway and the entrance to the tunnel complex is also one lane wide. Whilst you might be able to carefully filter to the front (from either direction) it would be difficult to get around the roundabout there as it was gridlocked. It's been truly horrendous down here, with local roads also gridlocked solid for the last couple of days.

I think the problems are caused by a significantly higher number of people travelling on the first day of the school holidays, a lack of French border agents at Dover, local infrastructure being quite inadequate for peak times, and passport checks taking longer now that we've left the EU. And of course all of this was entirely predictable for some time.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Not all those wandering are lost
simonw

Post by simonw »

There's no single reason - it's a combination of those I listed.
Richard Simpson Mark II

pinball1008 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:41 am Perhaps just a lack of investment? https://www.cityam.com/govt-rejects-33m ... re-likely/
Our Brexity friends seemed determined that 'we' were so special we could maintain all the benefits of the Single Market, without having to obey any of the rules.
We even have Liz Truss now promising to throw away all the legacy regulations from the EU because they are 'holding Britain back'...from exactly what is not clear. Most of our exports are to the EU, so will still conform to EU regs, and many of those that cover us as citizens provide us with safety and legal protection. I wonder who exactly will benefit from them being abolished?
Truss is just a puppet who dresses like a council estate Maggie Thatcher: who is pulling her strings?
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Yep. Interesting replies, and I quite agree, Brexit is the issue. However the thrust of the question was to inquire how the bikers were faring during the long hot stationary waiting, Or we’re they prioritized in some way? Anyone know??
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Just got off the tunnel returning from France, having travelled out there last weekend. The bikes were not being prioritised and no shade. Not good.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Truck drivers are top of scum list

Then motorcyclists.

Car drivers last, so get treated best.

Return to “TRAVEL”