Pan America GPS Route

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Akubra

Pan America GPS Route

Post by Akubra »

Just starting to plan routes from Anchorage to Ushuaia.

If anyone has any pre-planned routes in gdb or gpx format they could send me , it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Akubra
OnHellas

Re: Pan America GPS Route

Post by OnHellas »

I made the journey from Anchorage to Ushuaia back in 2016/17. I actually started in New York and made my way up to Fairbanks before heading south.

From my experiences of long distance motorcycle journies I would say this.

Have an outline of a route that you’d like to take through the various countries. Research which areas could be less safe for travellers. Some areas of Mexico for example may be a better choice than others.
Be prepared for situations to change, strikes and protests can occur and change things.

iOverlander was a very useful resource for border crossings etc.

When you inevitably meet people along the way ideas of places and routes will be shared with you and so the route unfolds as you go.

Paper maps are still very useful.

Those things worked for me anyway. But we’re all different.

I know that you haven’t asked this but MotoFreight are very good at getting your bike to the starting point of your adventure.

We like a travel story on here, more so if there are photos. We understand photos.

As you’ll hear in North America, ‘ride safe’
Akubra

Post by Akubra »

Thanks, that's really helpful and makes total sense. I guess I'm worried about missing some good routes as its always easy to find yourself on a boring highway just heading in the general direction.

I totally get the concept of keeping it flexible and using local knowledge. Paper maps will also be a must for me !

NY to Fairbanks - Wow that's 4K miles before heading south - Respect!

Thanks again
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Akubra
Amazing - you're almost certainly going to have one hell of a trip. Been almost 10 years since mine. I thought I'd posted details of gps stuff in my blog (see link below) but I can't see that now at quick glance. Will have a dig around over the Christmas break to see if I can find the files - most of which were shared with me free, so happy to pass on if I can track them down. You may find something of interest in my ramblings anyway.

As OnHellas and you note, probably not the best tool for planning (paper being so much more useful in that regard) - I did find the gps really useful in finding the right road getting out of a town though. Getting in was always a doddle, but would have been doing lots more 'sight seeing' on my way out if its wasn't for that little screen above my clocks!

You must keep us up to date on your plans and, in due course, travels.

Pat
Akubra

Post by Akubra »

Thanks Pat that would be really useful.

I liked your blog page....
Akubra

Post by Akubra »

Thanks Pat that would be really useful.

I liked your blog page....
gbags

Post by gbags »

Hi Akubra,

I too use paper maps and chatting to people to hear about good roads so can’t help you with GPS routes but do have a couple of tips.

- Maps.me works very well in South America but their timings are wildly inaccurate.
- Copper Canyon is a must if you’re in northern Mexico.
- In Sinaloa, there’s the Devil’s Spine (Espinazo del Diablo) from Mazatlan to Durango. It’s an amazing mountain ride.

I would also ask Adventure Rider website for specific location tips as it’s largely American and they have some good advice. Pick up tips as you move along.

I rode Ushiaia to Canada and picked up local paper maps in most places but never found one in Chile! They exist but I must have tried fifty places without luck so maybe source one at home and get it sent out.

Don’t miss Chilean Lakeland! A good choice is down Chile and three day boat trip it to Puerta Natales, ride down to Ushiaia and back up Ruta 40 in Argentina, taking in as many of the border passes between Chile and Argentina as you can.

Lastly, get off the Trans American as much as possible. Get up into the high Peruvian Andes if weather permits.

Have a great time and please send pics and descriptions.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

gbags wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:53 pm
Don’t miss Chilean Lakeland! A good choice is down Chile and three day boat trip it to Puerta Natales, ride down to Ushiaia and back up Ruta 40 in Argentina, taking in as many of the border passes between Chile and Argentina as you can.

Lastly, get off the Trans American as much as possible. Get up into the high Peruvian Andes if weather permits.
I agree with gbags on that.... steer clear of the Pan American Highway unless you're in a great hurry - it's generally boring and traffic-heavy, at least that was my experience when travelling in the lower half of S. America. For example, in Chile taking the coast road is far more interesting than the PanAm, which runs along the centre of the country.
Again, as gbags says, think about taking the ferry from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales in southern Chile - it's an interesting 3-days 'cruise'. Or ride the Caraterra Austral down to southern Chile, where you'll then have to cross over into Argentina and onto the famous Ruta 40.
When in central southern Chile, I'd recommend a stay at Motocamp, just outside of Pucon. And in Santiago, Hostel Casa Matte, a bikers hostel near the city centre, complete with workshop facilities and rooftop sun terrace. Hopefully both are still in business!
We didn't have (or want) GPS, but relied on a couple of good paper maps for route planning and maps.me or Google off-line maps for the fine detail when needing to find precise locations/addresses.
And yes, make sure to do a few crossings of the Andes on your way down.... that way you can get a good taste of Argentina just east of the Andes, along Ruta 40. But hurry - Ruta 40 is being tarmac'd and the remaining unmade sections sadly may soon disappear! (Likewise the Caraterra Austral)
You've now got me wanting to return :D
Akubra

Post by Akubra »

Thanks both - some great advice there. I'm compiling a list of areas I'd like to see and recommended to me, which will help me create my routes.

Cheers for now..
gbags

Post by gbags »

As Mark says, Casa Matte in Santiago. Wonderful place and a very understated Mecca for overlanders.

Return to “TRAVEL”