Greenland - any info?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Alun

Greenland - any info?

Post by Alun »

I've just been checking out Greenland as a possible destination for a 'different' sort of tour for 2011. There's not a lot of info out there, which makes it all the more interesting and appealing, but I have found that there are only 9 bikes registered on the whole Island.

Has anyone come across a rider who's toured Greenland?
Niklas

Re:Greenland - any info?

Post by Niklas »

I believe Greenland has very significant and different law about motorcycling than almost anywhere else in the world.

I even think that it is not possible to purchase a motorcycle there today. Those motorcycles driving around up there now are all from before the making of this law against motorcycles.

Furthermore, i believe there is a speed restriction on 40 km/h on the entire island.

Please make some more research on this because I am not certain about these informations.

Niklas
Alun

Post by Alun »

Thanks Niklas. I can't find anything about that particular law and as for why they would pass a statute like that...lord knows.

So the search for info continues, there can't be many things you Google these days and come up with nil info but 'motorcycles' and 'Greenland' looks like being one. Perhaps, outside of the Poles, Greenland is the ultimate adventure biking destination to aim for. Siberia looks like Piccadilly Circus in comparison.
Niklas

Post by Niklas »

After a little more research I read that it is ok to drive Motorcycle in Greenland if it is Registered in Greenland.
It is not leagal to bring your own bike.
Anyway, snowscooter would be the way to get around.

Option is to write and ask the police in Greenland here:
[email protected]

Niklas
africajim

Post by africajim »

Suits me just fine, I'll never have to worry about going to Greenland, one, I only ride my own bike, and I HATE THE COLD!

Tee hee! ;)
Honda, the power of dreams.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

No info to offer, only encouragement: what a great idea!!

OK, sounds like there might be some hurdles, but I love glacial landscapes: Norway, Carretera Austral, Apls, Pyrenees etc and the few photos I've seen of Greenland look fantastic!!!

I love places where you can really get away from the whole world and lose yourself and that seems like one of them!!
Alun

Post by Alun »

There's an exhibition I go to in November every year down in London called the World Travel Market. It's the annual gathering of all the world's tourist boards. I'm going to file this away and make an appointment with the Greenland contingent. Who knows maybe I'll be able to organise the first crossing of Greenland by motorcycle. :ohmy:
africajim

Post by africajim »

Only not on your motorcycle! LOL!

Agreed, the wilderness is great but I ride my motorcycle to visit different places, this won't be one of them.

Iceland on the other hand would be a great adventure, the volcanic terrain and only one tar road on the whole island! Now there's an adventure! (I'll live with the cold, the geezers are hot!)
Honda, the power of dreams.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Jim, the only country in the world I've ever had heat stroke in was......Iceland. So much for the cold, eh. ;) I hiked from the north coast across the interior to the South Coast and it was warm and we run out of water. Things were getting serious until we chanced upon an old snow bank buried under 3in of volcanic dust. It took us a full day to refil and re-hydrate.

There's more than one tar road in Iceland but there is a whole lot of island to go and play in. The big problem would be, go off the recognised trails and your tyres will be ripped to shreds in seconds, that volcanic rock is hard and razor sharp.

Return to “TRAVEL”