Post by moto al »

TODAYS press and journal
IMG_E1848.JPG
IMG_E1848.JPG (129.91 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
moto al
Hall

Re: locals want to withdraw from NC500

Post by Hall »

That will make a difference where people choose to go ,not really waste of paper and print but I can understand the sentiment
Aka "jkay"
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

I wonder if they chose to opt out whether they'll lock close the snow gates? :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's a fact that tourism destroys what made a destination attractive in the first place.

Back in the 1970s, my sister went to Surfer's Paradise in Australia. There was a beach, surf, and a few beach huts.

It's now covered in high-rise buildings, and is like a sunny version of Croydon.

Here in the UK, Cornwall is transitioning from being a place for people to live and work with a few tourist attractions and some nice scenery into a 'destination' where airbnb properties outnumber residential property to rent by a factor of thousands.

There are currently 60 prospective local tenants for every property that comes up in the unfashionable town that's 9 miles from where I live.

Still, those people are only peasants, and "Cornwall is Lovely, dharling! It's just so difficult to get a cleaner."
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

I wonder just what percentage of folks that live on the peninsular are "locals"
Tis a beautiful place - well it was when I first went there about 25 year ago
Judith in the pub done a great deal to promote the area - It has made her a few bob over the years
Maybe time to find another new quite place
Dunnet head maybe
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:54 pm like a sunny version of Croydon.
:lol: Wow, that IS bad...

A work colleague of mine used to give a powerpoint presentation about sustainable tourism. One of his slides said "Only the british middle classes could work like surfs all year with no spare time and for high wages, in order to spend some of those wages living for 2 weeks like a Tuscan peasant!"
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Ain't that the truth!

And I look at Kate and I...living like French peasants with our polytunnel, old cars, dogs etc, and it's true.

There's the story about the American businessman who goes to get away from it all and winds up on a quiet beach in Mexico where the locals scrape a living from sustainable fishing, but mostly sit about doing not very much.
He convinces them to borrow a load of money and buy modern boats and gear. Now they spend six days a week working hard fishing far out to sea to service the loan, and on Sundays they sit about on the beach and talk about the good old days.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I understand their sentiment but withdrawing from the marketing of the NC500 isn't going to make it go away, once the genie is out of the bottle there's no going back.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I wonder how many bikes & motorhomes will be making their way up to Scotland once Europe is opened again though, living on the south coast I can be in Grenoble in a similar timeframe to Inverness. The highlands are glorious and have been there many times, but pre 2020 it was hardly Cornwall in August.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:13 pm I understand their sentiment but withdrawing from the marketing of the NC500 isn't going to make it go away, once the genie is out of the bottle there's no going back.
Not sure. If the sheeple stop getting their daily reminders they will soon wander elsewhere. Most don't have the imagination to explore for themselves.

There are hundreds of great footpaths and bridleways around where I live, but go 200m from a car park or off the artificially designated 'xxx scenic way' and you'll barely see a soul.

Return to “TRAVEL”