Forst of Bowland campsites?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Forst of Bowland campsites?

Post by SteveR »

I am wangling a night or two away now Harvest is done :D

I have been meaning to have a couple of days in this area for some years, some gentl exploring on the bike. Anyone with recommendations please?

Quiet is good... :-)
Slowboy

Re: Forst of Bowland campsites?

Post by Slowboy »

I’d suggest Google it and ring round, quite a lot of them are shut or full. We struggled to find a site for three nights next week, although admittedly not in that area.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Slowboy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:02 pm I’d suggest Google it and ring round, quite a lot of them are shut or full. We struggled to find a site for three nights next week, although admittedly not in that area.
Yeah, that's what I have been told too....

Wonder whether I can get a passout and head to wildcamping heaven instead.. and cross the Border! ;)

Although I know a few quieter areas in Wales, they are a bit too close to home!
bowber

Post by bowber »

We have space on our site if you get stuck for some where, we're near Kirkby Stephen so not in the area you are wanting, but handy for the Dales and Lakes.
Facility are basic (toilet block & shower.) and we only have a few spaces so don't normally advertise.
We'll be out all day Sunday but if you pm me I should pick it up at some point.

Steve
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

bowber wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:03 pm We have space on our site if you get stuck for some where, we're near Kirkby Stephen so not in the area you are wanting, but handy for the Dales and Lakes.
Facility are basic (toilet block & shower.) and we only have a few spaces so don't normally advertise.
We'll be out all day Sunday but if you pm me I should pick it up at some point.

Steve
Thank you muchly!

Just pondering the best option now... Been mad, busy today, so not even had a chance to dig the tent and kit out as yet :(

Steve
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Just got back from a Royal Enfield Owners Club weekend. We stayed at this campsite http://www.calderfarm.co.uk/ it was basic in terms of facilities ie Good clean toilet and shower block and washing up area, but nice and quiet. One pub which I believe was more of a restaurant ten minutes walk away, but good walks in the area and excellent roads to ride round. If you want a quiet campsite I would definitely recommend it. Cheers
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Been over that way today as we had a trial near Slaidburn, lovely area one of my favourite runs is through Trough of Bowland.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Jak* wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm Just got back from a Royal Enfield Owners Club weekend. We stayed at this campsite http://www.calderfarm.co.uk/ it was basic in terms of facilities ie Good clean toilet and shower block and washing up area, but nice and quiet. One pub which I believe was more of a restaurant ten minutes walk away, but good walks in the area and excellent roads to ride round. If you want a quiet campsite I would definitely recommend it. Cheers
Looks a perfect option, thanks Jak.

See what morning brings, and I can give 'em a call as and when :D
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Hi Steve, its been ages....but living on the edge of Bowland I have never camped there. There isn't many considering how nice the area is but I suppose thats because its a quiet area, or is it the there way round. There does seem to be a lot of holiday park the places though for some reason. Anyway I have noticed the following sites when out and about:

Clitheroe Caravan and Camping Club Site, right by the river ribble on the outskirts of Clitheroe, which is a very nice town.

There's a couple or three sites between Slaidburn and Wigglesworth but a couple of them may be more holiday park places. A quick google has shows Marl Barn Campsite approximately where I thought there was one. This is right in the heart of Bowland.

There's a couple of sites along the eastern edge of the area/ western edge of the Dales but all quite near the A65. I did notice thats Dalesbridge campsite was open the other day, Just near Austwick. I used to have a few thousand acres of shooting on the moors there - the Gamecock at Austwick is a very good pub.

Theres a small field right next to the Bridge Inn near Wennington. Not sure if they take tents though as I have only ever seen caravans and campers there.

There's a Pod clamping place in Littledale that I believe takes a few tents. https://crossghyllfarm.co.uk/the-pods/ This place is the middle of nowhere.

Bowland Wild Boar Park has some spaces for tents. Not sure if its organised camping or what. Also in the middle of nowhere other than Wildboar park.

That's all I can think of just now. Remember I haven't stayed at any of these and there's probably more.

Wild camping should be possible - usual stuff but most of the area is either farmed or keepered so you may expect to be challenged unless very discrete or prepared to lug your kit a few hundred yards away from a road.

When are you coming? We could meet up.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

There’s a campsite on the back road out of Downham to Worston in a nice spot, but looks like it’s just a field more set up for vans. Not seen any facilities.
Or Edisford Bridge farm just outside Clitheroe .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “TRAVEL”