Hammock Wildcamping in UK

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
flipflopdog

Re: Hammock Wildcamping in UK

Post by flipflopdog » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:24 pm

Flippin ekk, I'm in the presence of Hammocking Gods by the sounds of it..!! I bought a 2nd hand Hennessy with tarp, I've used it several times and love sleeping in it. We're gonna have a look around Dartmoor next week starting on Thursday so will post a few pics if we find some good spots..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 am

So gents, I've reread the posts several times again, cacoon vrs upper + lower quilts, I'm guessing the cacoon is simpler to setup ?? I used my exped mattress everytime with success, never budged.
Any of you guys 'rope access' gods for your work life....??? My cancelled TCAT ride for this year has left me more time to develop a method to raise either a hammock or bell tent off the ground sufficiently as to avoid entering the food chain, it's harder than you think for the hammock, bell tent easy peasy. Have a sketch and scratch ya heads, not easy.....

frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:44 pm

flipflopdog wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 am
So gents, I've reread the posts several times again, cacoon vrs upper + lower quilts, I'm guessing the cacoon is simpler to setup ?? I used my exped mattress everytime with success, never budged.
Any of you guys 'rope access' gods for your work life....??? My cancelled TCAT ride for this year has left me more time to develop a method to raise either a hammock or bell tent off the ground sufficiently as to avoid entering the food chain, it's harder than you think for the hammock, bell tent easy peasy. Have a sketch and scratch ya heads, not easy.....

I was swayed by the ease in which you can set up the Snugpak Hammock cocoon. If you read the reviews some people dont get on with them but it folds up small and fits in my bergen side pouch and is so easy to fit over the hammock. Leave sag under it so when you get in the hammock you do not sink and compress the insulation .It ties off each end with shock cord so is very easy to do. It has a full length zip so you dont need to thread it right over the hammock. I also dont sleep well if it is cold and i find the cocoon sometimes too hot and end up unzipping the top a bit more. Unless you are really into your hammock camping cheap chinese parachute silk hammocks are a great piece of starter kit. As i said just ensure you get one that is wide enough and long enough 1.4 metres wide is the absolute minimum width for a diagonal lay. Go for the double hammock to be sure.

Return to “TRAVEL”