A new problem has appeared.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
stramasher

Re: A new problem has appeared.

Post by stramasher »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:38 pm
Aw Gawd, A737 is going to be my new commute in a few weeks!
[/quote]

North of Beith, towards M8, is slow in the mornings from 07:30 till after nine (in the old normal) and reverse in evening. Quite quiet for now, but has been building up. Luckily few nefarious cyclists at those times.

If going by bike, you will be fine until the weather deteriorates.

South of Beith is OK most of the time with Dalry bypass helping.

I (pre-Covid) took the train into Glasgow, from Glengarnock, but can't say I want to do that for a while, so will use the bike till the salt gritters are out.
[/quote]

Aye its Beith we are moving to. I apologise in advance! (Crosstourer & SpeedTwin) Unfortunately my work banned bikes from the carpark (health and safety) and would need to park in an external one, and thats a no - no in the city for me!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Years ago we were in the Dordogne during the Tour so trekked nearly two hours to a suitable vantage point.
After the entourage wandered through, a large pack of cyclists shot by in about 10 seconds and that was it.
Don’t go on the second day on a straight and flat route. :(

Tongue in cheek ‘question’. How many fans on the mountains actually cycle all the way up or do they leave a van tucked out of the way. :lol:
A bit like the numerous guys we used to see who would turn up at the NEC in a car, change into bike gear and then go into the bike show.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

McVicar wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:29 pm Anyone over 17 riding a push bike is a bellend
Intelligent contribution. :roll:
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:50 am
Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:33 am In a minority of Society understanding, tolerance and respect has been replaced with Laws, entitlement and selfishness.
Thankfully the majority appear to be willing to adopt an attitude for positive coexistence.
Well said, Toni. I hope you're right about the majority. It doesn't seem like it sometimes. So many are just searching around for something to be offended by and upset about - and cyclists appear to be one of the many targets for some reason.

The day after tomorrow the Tour passes me about 10kms away, so I'll go and watch the spectacle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and horse-riders get pretty much universal respect and inclusion here in France. There's no discernable hatred or rivalry. I really don't understand it.
It fast becoming another "British" disease. Selfishness. Plenty in evidence on this thread,
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Given how this forum is going, should I find another as I ride a KTM, cycle and eat tofu, which is bound to unexplicably annoy someone...
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

AlanHolt wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:18 am Given how this forum is going, should I find another as I ride a KTM, cycle and eat tofu, which is bound to unexplicably annoy someone...
Beginning to think the same. Peddled almost 3,000 miles on my Carbon Fibre Road Machine this year, and less than 300 miles on the Triumph. I wonder if there’s an Adventure Cycling forum?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

AlanHolt wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:18 am Given how this forum is going, should I find another as I ride a KTM, cycle and eat tofu, which is bound to unexplicably annoy someone...
I saw a lorry full of tofu creeping along the road just yesterday, causing a jam. I was totally outraged and will be writing to the Daily Mail this afternoon. This meat-replacement traffic chaos must stop.
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I am retired, I live in North Somerset and I have been a keen road cyclist for the past 10 or 12 years, prior to that I rode mostly MTB's starting in the late 1980's. I have had a full motorcycle licence since 1976.

Because I am retired I always try to let drivers pass easily, whether they are approaching or passing me, especially on the Somerset single track country roads I spend a lot of my time on. I am especially aware of working drivers as they are trying to make a living while I am just trying to stay fit. By working drivers, I mean van drivers, lorries, tractors, anyone who is clearly at work when I am at play.

By way of thanks for my pulling over I sometimes get a friendly beep, or a flash of the hazard lights, a wave from an approaching vehicle, or a passing 'school run mum', all of these give an indication that I have shown some thought for the drivers situation and that they appreciate that, much like a wave you might give someone who has waited for you in a passing place, say in the Highlands of Scotland (where I also cycle).

However, I am more often ignored than thanked, I have also had abuse shouted, the bird and V's given, I have had a bottle of water thrown in my face after I had waited in a passing place for two flat bed trucks that were heading towards, me and I have also been hit from behind, also while stationary in the first passing place available on a little used causeway on the Somerset levels. The driver had pulled off the road towards me in order to shout at me for holding him up, except he had not been following me directly, there was another car in front of him, regardless I had pulled into the first available passing place but that still was not good enough.

There are two sides to every tale and being 11 stone of meat, threatened by several tonnes of metal combined with ignorance of the law and an overriding sense of entitlement is sometimes a scary and frustrating place to be.

On the law. The Highways Act say that you MUST give vulnerable road users i.e pedestrians, horse riders, cyclist and others a minimum of 1.5m space when overtaking.

All of that said, I have NEVER, when cycling had a single issue with a (fellow) motorcyclist.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Post by fw750x » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:24 pm

A Quick Check of the Highway Code Rule 66 Never ride more the 2 Abreast and Ride in Single File on Busy or Narrow Roads , Rule 67 Be aware of Traffic coming up behind you, Rule 68 Ride in a Dangerous Careless or Inconsiderate Manner , Rule 69 You Must obey All Traffic signs and Traffic Signals , Rule 71 You must Not Cross the Stop Line when the Traffic Lights are Red, And im pretty sure You Must Dismount and wheel your Cycle across Pedestrian Crossings. All of these are Ignored by 90 % of Cyclists that i see on the roads every Single Day and of Course Dark Clothing and No Lights what so ever not even a Reflector when it is getting Dark and all through the Winter Months .

Don't worry, they are changing all that so cyclists get priority.
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Just to make this Point Clear I do NOT have a Problem with Cyclists Who Obey the Rules of the Road. Its the idiots who Ignore All the rules , Go out for a 4 mph Spin at Peak times on busy Roads , I would estimate that 90% of these idiots all have a Driving License So they Know/Should know how much inconvience they are causing and just dont care.

Return to “TRAVEL”