Average speed cameras

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tonibe63

Re: Average speed cameras

Post by Tonibe63 »

I decided to go look at a couple of bikes in dealers in Nottingham today on my Himalayan. On the M1 all the cars doing 70 because of those yellow cameras on the side of gantries then in on the dual carraigeway there was 40mph average speed cameras ...... the little Himmy was 'making progress' at the traffic lights and roundabouts really well. Then heading back into Leicester average speed cameras and then a camera van.
I had a look at the bikes and decided that doubling the engine size was a waste :roll: .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Sounds like a nice day for it, Hugh

I'd have been tempted to do a low-level pass to set the cameras off!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

OnHellas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:35 pm
garyboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:17 am Mind .. sarcasm and vindictive posta are not confined to just this forum
Sorry that you didn’t appreciate the humour/sarcasm.

I get it that it’s all Tax revenue. The tax payer, that’s all of us, pays for everything the government does. If we want anything provided by the state the tax payer pays for, end of.

How the government of the day spend the tax revenue is a whole other argument that we will never all agree on.

Speed cameras of any sort are really there for the idiots. Unfortunately the silent majority, as usual, that can make informed decisions on how to conduct themselves are the ones that are affected most.

For me on the road I mostly go along at or just below the posted limit nowadays. If I fancy a bit more of a spirited ride I go to the country lanes. Mind you, I’ve only managed 100 miles on the bike so far this year.

Now I’m rambling as usual, some may prefer it to the sarcasm though.....

Apologies if I misjudged your post ..
I getting cranky in my old age lol
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

I think that the OP is perhaps over estimating the effect of a brief burst of speed to overtake half a dozen vehicles:

"So what happens is you get a slow car or heavy truck doing 40 MPH and a long line of cars stuck behind on a 60 MPH road.
To pass the heavy truck and say half a dozen cars on those staights you have to accelerate up to about 100 MPH, I wonder what that would do to your average speed."

To average 60mph you need to spend twice as long at 40mph than you do at 100mph:

2 mins at 40mph means 1.33 miles travelled
1 min at 100mph means 1.67 miles travelled

Total distance of 3 miles in 3 minutes = 60mph.

So, you get stuck behind 6 cars and a lorry for 2 minutes, and then accelerate to 100mph. Does it really take 1.67 miles to pass that queue? It seems to me you have plenty of time to get past and then return to legal speed without going anywhere near an average of 60.

Even if you are stuck for just a minute, you have 0.8 miles in which to make your overtake before you hit a 60mph average.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

See what you mean, all very interesting.
If I am on my 660Z, I would not risk overtaking, but on my CBF1000 or S10, not a problem.
Obviously assuming that the other carriageway is clear and keeping an eye out for any frustrated car drivers suddingly pulling out into you.
Now lets take the example of four cars with a heavy truck in front.
How long to overtake using the S10, initial speed 40 MPH, in passing the second car probably doing 60 MPH, in passing the truck probably already doing 100 MPH, total time taken say 7 seconds, what do you think?
Must make some real time measurements the next time I go back up that road.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Doing the maths is fine but I can't remember ever seeing average speed camera's anything like 3 miles apart, more like 1 mile max on an A road.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TRAVEL”