Average speed cameras

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Dark Knight

Re: Average speed cameras

Post by Dark Knight »

I presume that they are actually switched on, of course they the actually force the average speed down below 60 MPH, as the speed is now governed by the slowest vehicle.
I would think that the standard overtaking speed is between 10 MPH and 20 MPH, once you start going beyond 30 MPH in overtaking, you may give the driver in front a bit of a fright and run the the risk of him not seeing you coming down the outside and pulling out, what do you think?
Slowing access to the north could impact the holiday business as people get fed up and go elsewhere.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

If it's a National speed limit the truck can legally do 50mph (changed from 40mph a few years ago which helps reduce the frustration of drivers behind).
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Myself and a Pal just got back from a short trip and I have to say am I the only mug that seems to stick to the speed limt within the average sections or am I missing something?..

Was on a very long section of 50mph Average speed and my bike speedo reads about 3mph below my GPS so I was sticking to about 51mph on the GPS showing 54mph on speedo and Cars and even HGV's seemed to be coming past a fair bit quicker than what we was doing.

I know most enforcement have a 10% plus 2mph allowance but not sure I would be testing that on miles and miles of restrictions.

I will concur that I find them soul destroying and coming back from Bristol earlier this year on the M4 for what must have been 30miles? of average speed check back to the M25 had me cursing Budda, riding within these zones is right up there with my other pet hates of waiting for people at cash machines and having to get my hair cut, the ultimate bad day is riding within a average speed check to then wait to get cash out for a hair cut..
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

HoboBeemer wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 pm Myself and a Pal just got back from a short trip and I have to say am I the only mug that seems to stick to the speed limt within the average sections or am I missing something?..
The only thing you're missing is getting a speeding ticket landing on your doormat... I would say it's the mugs who whizz past you as you do your steady 50-ish, as many of them will get the tickets - and then start complaining :? Best to get into a mindset of chilling-out and enjoying the scenery as you blat along at your 50-ish average.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Just back from a ride up to Glencoe, really a brilliant day.
You need to be on your guard for the section of road with the speed cameras, what is happening, is that you get massive trucks carrying logs, etc doing about 40 MPH, with a long line of cars behind them, presumably not overtaking due to the average speed cameras.
The bikers are leap froging down the line of cars on high power overtakes, keep a sharp lookout.
Yet another road system failure by the authorities.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:57 pm If it's a National speed limit the truck can legally do 50mph (changed from 40mph a few years ago which helps reduce the frustration of drivers behind).
Still 40 in Scotland, and the Scottish police love doing the English truckers!

But things still get a bit lively when the Paddy trucks are heading to/from Cairnryan 'on the wire' at night...I'm told.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Everyday is a school day, I will have to remember that Richard ;) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:33 pm
Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:57 pm If it's a National speed limit the truck can legally do 50mph (changed from 40mph a few years ago which helps reduce the frustration of drivers behind).
Still 40 in Scotland, and the Scottish police love doing the English truckers!
50mph for trucks of the A9 from Perth to Inverness https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... %20October.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

just a general observation .. of how the government/s control the population .. very effective method, average speed cameras, .. `they` sell you a top of the range fast car then `they` only allow you to do 50 mph in it , effectively, with all this sh*t around ..

it was war on the miners/ steel workers/ teachers/ farmers/ dairies/ fisherman/ etc etc etc et c ... but now its clever .. as the motorist war is apparently permissive but inherently restrictive .. and very luctrative .. ha fkn ha .... just saying :lol: 8-) :D
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I’ve never bought a vehicle from the government.

Maybe I should consider a retired Ambulance for my next car......

Return to “TRAVEL”