Riding through France into the Alps - Help

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Re: Riding through France into the Alps - Help

Post by SteveR »

Interesting little thread.

I don't book to be honest, just the odd time in peak when I want to be in a specific location on a set time/date. This happens infrequently ;)

The municipal sites are almost without exception, great. The only thing is that in high season, especially iif located n town, they can be noisy.

I have tended to use the cheapie hotels in France in the past 2-3 years, as if there are two of you camping, it is often as cheap as a campsite! Pre book the night before or even in the morning, to get the better spots.

What are campsites like in these "strange times", when on the continent?
spangle

Post by spangle »

SteveR wrote:Interesting little thread.

I don't book to be honest, just the odd time in peak when I want to be in a specific location on a set time/date. This happens infrequently ;)

The municipal sites are almost without exception, great. The only thing is that in high season, especially iif located n town, they can be noisy.

I have tended to use the cheapie hotels in France in the past 2-3 years, as if there are two of you camping, it is often as cheap as a campsite! Pre book the night before or even in the morning, to get the better spots.

France & Spain have been fantastic. All have virus precautions in place and have been about 60/70% full although that seems to be increasing now the holiday season has begun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

spangle wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:52 am
SteveR wrote:Interesting little thread.

France & Spain have been fantastic. All have virus precautions in place and have been about 60/70% full although that seems to be increasing now the holiday season has begun
Good to hear, I've not written of an Autumn trip yet... :-)
spangle

Post by spangle »

It could be much worse by then to be honest. Break for the border, NOW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

A bit puzzled by the route into Switzerland via Geneva?

Unless you want to ride round the lake, you may as well go in further North via say Pontarlier (which has an Aran Sweater shop, which I found amusing) heading for Lausanne, then either the St Bernard or East a bit then Gotthard pass towards Italy. There are a couple of campsites around Pontarlier. These days I just get cheap hotels as I'm basically lazy.

Campsites are pretty much everywhere and if you don't like the look of one, there will be another.

Return to “TRAVEL”