My Euro trip opinions

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
vRSG60

My Euro trip opinions

Post by vRSG60 »

OK I should have gone yesterday ferry Harwich >Hook of Holland for 3 weeks. Over to Berlin >Warszawa then round Poland and Czechia
I’m looking to rearrange the booking for beginning of August.
Here’s the conundrum.
Do I
a) book a return trip for 3 weeks or cut it short to 2?
b) book single journey then I can chose when and how I come back?
Constructive suggestions please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by vRSG60 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
johnnyboxer

Re: My Euro trip opinions

Post by johnnyboxer »

Are you confident it’s safe yet ....in 3 weeks ?

Is it gone or under control ?

I wouldn’t be keen to go, just yet (much as I really want to)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Trying to predict the future is very difficult right now and trying to predict local lockdowns is even harder but we all have to do our own risk assessment about travel.
Personally, if I decided to go, I would book 1 way only and keep my options open for the return date and crossing. That way if the boat is cancelled or you can't get to the port due to a lockdown then you have other choices for ferries or tunnel. We do that for the tunnel in 'normal' times but not having done the Harwich crossing I don't know what it's like for last minute bookings.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
vRSG60

My Euro trip opinions

Post by vRSG60 »

One way is the way I’m leaning too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

My opinion and view.... One way as the situation can change very quickly in europe especially as the doors have all opened to tourists now...

I've been back and forth since 3rd week of UK lock down and seen big changes in attitudes in europe also went 2 weeks ago on holiday in France and talked to lots of begiums and Germans the French couldn't care less.... The others are civil and respect your distance but eating out is crazy close and bars are rammed.... Like uk really..

It's been open a lot longer than UK without any problems yet... I believe unless we have a infections from third parties seasonal workers should be banned as they are the biggest threat and employers who look for cheap labour..

Sorry for going on but far too many voice thoughts who haven't been out of UK... There choice but don't talk shit..
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have not been out of the UK, but am intending going to Spain at the beginning of August, then onto Portugal, Spain, France and Italy. Probably back via Germany. The ferry out was booked before lock down but I have had to change the crossing slightly at no extra cost. I booked the ferry back a couple of weeks ago. The ferries are both changeable, refundable should things be locked down again. It has been great to read the comments of those on here who have been or are living over there. So long as you can get the money back, or change the ferries, it seems to make sense to book. I have no particular desire to visit cities or eat in restaurants and intend to camp when possible. Apart from spending time with friends and family the main reason for me to go is for the ride. I did think about delaying until next year but with Boris the Clown in charge, it is really hard to predict how much more difficult and expensive trips to Europe will be then. Maybe it will all be fine, who knows, we could also have a resurgence of Covid 19, or another virus.
I looked at booking a trip in the car to replenish the wine cellar last night but I think the ferry prices have already gone up considerably from two weeks ago. So if you are going it may be worth booking ASAP.
Cheers
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I would be looking carefully at my travel insurance policy and how it is affected by current government travel policy/advice.

Also, some travel insurance is invalidated by not having a return ticket to the UK.

I’m also not sure I’d want to be going at the moment. The feeling of ‘escaping’ when we left Spain on the 15th of March when their state of alarm/lockdown started isn’t one I care to repeat any time soon.

However, as others have said, we make our own decisions so....if you go, have fun, be safe, tell us all about it and post lots of pictures.....please.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I believe you need a recent covid 19 negative test to enter Czech Republic from the UK.
Like most of Europe, I reckon now is probably the best time to travel, most of Europe is opening up and it'll be downhill from here with cases going back up.
Its a trick............get an Axe
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I was due to catch the ferry to Bilbao tonight but that got thrown under the bus. Recently Navigator travel insurance contacted me (26/6) as my travel insurance renewal was due, but in light of the pandemic they are currently not able to offer me a quote as no underwriters are willing to quote prices
Your Navigator Travel Insurance Annual Multi-Trip policy has expired recently or will be expiring soon, and due to the continuing Coronavirus lockdown and FCO Travel Advice stating that they advise against all but essential overseas travel for the foreseeable future, we have not been issuing renewal reminders.
Although the FCO Travel Advice is still in place, we are recently hearing more and more talk about flights to certain destinations starting operations again, with start dates of June or July.
This travel advice needs to be lifted or relaxed before travel insurance can offer normal cover again and even then, cover for Coronavirus is likely to be limited or excluded. We are hopeful that the insurers will soon reinstate medical cover for Coronavirus, even if cancellation and disruption due to the epidemic may remain a problem for some time to come. The Government could lift or change the FCO advice at short notice, so with this in mind, we feel that we should send you this reminder, in case you are requiring cover for a future booked trip, or are considering making a holiday/trip booking when flights resume.
Our offices and phone lines are still closed at the current time (though we hope to open again within the coming week), but if you would like a renewal quotation, just email us and we will get back to you promptly with a price and any information that you require on the cover that can be provided
It also seems that if you are intending to travel to Greece, from 1st July you need to apply at least 48hrs in advance of arrival for a “Passenger locator form” https://travel.gov.gr/#/
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Peirre wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:02 pm I was due to catch the ferry to Bilbao tonight but that got thrown under the bus. Recently Navigator travel insurance contacted me (26/6) as my travel insurance renewal was due, but in light of the pandemic they are currently not able to offer me a quote as no underwriters are willing to quote prices
Interesting about the insurers viewpoint. They'll be doing loads of risk analysis as that's how they make their money, which makes going overseas a concern, as if you get caught up in a lockdown without any insurance that could be expensive, ignoring any health issues. Will the E111 still be valid in Europe?

Return to “TRAVEL”