Great Western Trail (TET)

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
petecam

Re: Great Western Trail (TET)

Post by petecam »

Dibbs when were you thinking of going?

Depending on date I could join on the GS for some extra big bike challenges. I also know the Devon lanes very well and some in Cornwall.

Pete
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Cheers Pete. Im not really sure yet as im waiting to see when the camp sites open back up and also when I can get the time off (which shouldn't be a problem) I will keep this thread updated as it seems like a couple of people might be keen to join in! I did do a 150 mile Thetford round trip at the weekend but was totally knackered when finished, so to ride down to the start point on the 450 which is 178 road miles for me seems like too much to ask of my body lol... :lol: :lol: :lol:
beany

Post by beany »

i,am also looking at doing the great western trail.ferry was booked last october we was going to do the northern spain portugise tet
just waiting to see if the campsites will be opening up.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Looks like we might have a 'Convoy'!!!!!!!!! :D
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

keep me updated please--I've ridden trails in Devon and Cornwall, but not done a route--and you know that you should never trail ride alone!!--so could well be joining if thats ok--I assume camping or Band B ?--the thing about the UK is that you can bail or ride around a difficult bit without any drama which takes a lot of the stress out--both my wr and kawa can take some camping gear.
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

Would be good to do the ride with others and help out and after a good days riding a good camp and a glass of red after a bag of re hydrated curry :lol:
petecam

Post by petecam »

dibbs wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:05 am Looks like we might have a 'Convoy'!!!!!!!!! :D
Let’s hope there are no “bears in the air, rubber duck” :-)
beany

Post by beany »

only one glass of red,hope your joking :lol:
Jersey87

Post by Jersey87 »

I did most of the tracks between Chard and Ashburton way on the southern leg last year over a couple of day trips out on the 800GS by myself (it was similar sort of weather to now though so mostly dry).

Only a couple of places I shied away from - mainly because they looked to be pretty steep/muddy and I wasn't in the mood to wrestle the bike too much.

Got through ok with just one drop on a tight, rocky turn on the climb between Seller's Wood Hill and Locksey's Lane outside Branscombe - Just misjudged the track and spotted the turn too late to make it...and fell over when I stopped the bike to get my bearings :lol:

The scariest moment was the lane on the climb out of Teignmouth - Commons Old Road it appears to be called on Google Maps. Much steeper, narrower and rutted than I was expecting! :shock:

Going to have a look at the lanes east of Yeovil this week as I head out towards the Plain.

I'd be up for giving it all a go at some point so will keep an eye out here.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Jersey87 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:33 pm The scariest moment was the lane on the climb out of Teignmouth - Commons Old Road it appears to be called on Google Maps. Much steeper, narrower and rutted than I was expecting! :shock:
And that was after it was regraded, good grip all year round but yes it is a bit steep on one bit.

Return to “TRAVEL”