Route/POI advice for a E England trip please.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bikenav

Route/POI advice for a E England trip please.

Post by bikenav » Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 am

Thinking to do a East England tour when I am allowed out of Wales and a when there is a bit of a relaxation in restrictions in general, I have been to Cambridge(Duxford) and a fast blast to Cadwell once but never done any touring so with things as they are perhaps this year may be the year to fix that. So here I am asking for any suggestions below I have a very rough track plan ,from that you may be able to guess that I have an interest in military history particularly 20th centuary, but also the more mainstream scenic roads, interesting buildings,castles, interesting engineering, coastlines etc. Any help will be appreciated with interesting roads, sights especially WW2, general scenery, recommended camping sights official or otherwise, anything at all really. Depending on weather, tyres at the time, days available etc may like to try a few easier trails too, but I am not intending a trail trip as such . Thanks in advance for GPX's,routes ,tracks,tracklogs,links, tips,etc. ta Paul.
Screenshot (53).png
Screenshot (53).png (286.53 KiB) Viewed 867 times

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
Brenhden

Re: Route/POI advice for a E England trip please.

Post by Brenhden » Sun May 17, 2020 7:54 am

It's nice to plan.

Ness point in Lowestoft is a must, even if it's not much to see. Fish and chips in Southwold is lovely as is a visit to Adnams brewery shop.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Honda CRF250 Rally.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

dibbs

Post by dibbs » Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 am

Yes the north Norfolk coast road ride is very scenic from Hunstanton round to Great Yarmouth, but beyond that its a bit meh! until you get to Aldborough, Southwold etc. Also the radar dishes only open on specific days I think. I tried to go a couple of times last year and they were off limits!! There's also a couple of places in Norfolk that I would like to visit, one is called Grimes Graves they are Neolithic flint mines, sounds interesting! and also (just into Suffolk) Sutton Hoo which has a very well preserved Anglo Saxon burial ground and long ship which also seems to be worth a look at! Good luck with the trip and I'm sure you will be 'culturally full' by the time you return to sunny Wales! Oh and most of the terrain round that part of the world is very flat so do take in some byways around Thetford Forest its totally different to what you're used to I'm sure but worth it. Enjoy!!

bikenav

Post by bikenav » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 pm

Thank you Brenhden and Dibbs will put all points on plan I really like the options on a map in advance and decide at the time which to take a look at its obviously very flat hence the airfields and waterways but I like different landscapes and it is one of few bits of the UK I have not had a scout about in. Surprised how many trails there are and a little intrigued as to their character will definitely aim to try a couple even just as a taster dont imagine they would be as rocky as the Strata Florida but could perhaps they get a little damp on occasion. The plan itself is only an option for all will depend on the big picture, as the same for most peeps I suppose. A little disappointed in the response I would thought there were a few more on here with knowledge of the some of the areas.

ggp59

Post by ggp59 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:06 am

Can't help with ideas, as only ever been there on a family holiday once years ago!

But think it's a great idea and am watching with interest, as think all the usual places people head for Scotland, West Country, Wales the Lakes etc. are going to be jam packed once there's a hint lifting restrictions :shock:

spangle

Post by spangle » Mon May 18, 2020 8:14 am

Sheringham & Cromer worth a visit, especially if you like crab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer » Mon May 18, 2020 9:11 am

Depending on how far down you want to travel there are some decent roads and routes near a RAF airfield at Debden, then onto North Weald..

The main biking route in this region would be something like Epping To Finchingfield or in reverse if coming from Norfolk way and link up routes of interest from there, actually for south east England you can find these roads rather free of traffic if you are lucky, but the surface is certainly "New world UK" (Like everywhere it seems) rather than fresh tarmac but it is what it is after years of cut backs.

There are also some green lanes down that way, a majority are rideable on road tyres during the Summer months, there are a fair few campsites located in and around this area also.

http://www.debdenhouse.com/campsite-epping-forest.html (Never used but hear they allow fire pits)

https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/co ... d-campsit/ (More wild camping feel within Lee Valley parks)

https://woodlandcamp.co.uk/ (Very good reviews)

Main routes in this area would be from Haverhill to Great Dunmow, then right to Epping Forest, there is a well know bikers meet within Epping Forest http://www.originalteahut.com/history/ You will find lots of bikers there most days.

Ref Policing in these areas, I personally have not seen any mobile speed traps for years and I wonder if Essex still even has them?, they do run the neighbourghood speed watch scheme were locals have speed guns in villages and it is more of a information gather than being hit with a fine, I may see one of these setups every summer and I ride this area a lot, normally situated in a 30mph zone. Obviously on roads you do not know stick to the limit and enjoy the surroundings, there really is no excuse for speeding through villages and towns and I guess most folks on here are sensible.

Other areas of interest, Epping forest and the links to Dick Turpin, There is the old gunpowder mills although the museum may now be closed?. and obviously Duxford..

Further North of here is Thetford forest which whilst I have not gone round extensively has some nice roads but I found a lot of the off tracks are now gated?..

Maybe of some interest?...

Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar » Mon May 18, 2020 9:54 am

Bressingham Steam Museum.

Ride the various trains.

https://www.bressingham.co.uk/home.aspx

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz » Mon May 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Muckleburgh military museum Weybourn just north of Sheringham.
https://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

Blackney point if you like walks boats and birds, boat trips to see seals

mark vb

Post by mark vb » Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 pm

If you have any interest in Hondas, visit the David Silver museum in Leiston, a tad south of Southwold. Loads and loads I'd bikes from the first Honda up to the mid-nineties. Even if you're not a Hondaphile, it would still be interesting to anyone halfway interested in bikes. Southwold pier is different, with quirky amusement games. Great fish and chips at the chippy by Walberswick ferry, just outside of Southwold.

Return to β€œTRAVEL”