When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
flamair

Re: When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

Post by flamair »

Magnon wrote:There’s a bloke in our village, not sure who he is, who goes past our house up the hill doing at least 120kph, knee down round the bend (we’re in the 50kph zone). He’s been doing it for months, long before lockdown and still does most days now. When he comes back down the hill he’s going slowly and wearing his ’ecole de moto - instructeur’ tabard!
Absolutely love it...

If I've learned one thing touring in France over the last 20 years it's that you don't speed in villaged/towns/hamlets. I stick rigidly to all the limits in such areas.

The idea of a moto ecole instructor doing that is rather amusing..though not if you live there I guess...Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

flamair wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 am
Treadtrader wrote:I needed to go to the local village shop yesterday, about eight miles from the farm I live on.
I took the bike out to give it a run, first time in weeks.
Passing the service station just outside the village I noticed a group of four bikes on the forecourt, maybe they all work together?
There also seemed to be more traffic then I’d expect.
Looking at the dash clock I’d been out for half an hour, then noticed the clock was still set to winter time, might as well leave it at that!
When we’re eventually let out will there be anywhere to go? How many hotels, b & b’s and campsites will reopen this year? Here or in Europe?
Europe - I'd say isn't happening this year.
I think visitors will be permitted, but you'll have to do 14 days in quarantine, which effectively means you're not welcome as a tourist as yet.

UK.. still too early to say. Probably things will open slowly. My view is if the government say it's ok.. All self catering properties will be booked up solid in days in all the popular areas. I'd say September though before that's likely. 2020 is a right-off now in my view.

Frankly it'll be easier to just do days out this year. Hope I'm wrong.

It’s all very well hopefully planning bike trips, but most of us have families that will want a break. I agree, without Flights to other countries UK places are going to be rammed with family’s, rightly so.
Nearest town to me is Stratford upon Avon, no tourists, all pubs and restaurants closed, talking to locals their future looks bleak.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
flamair

Post by flamair »

Treadtrader wrote:
flamair wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 am
Treadtrader wrote:I needed to go to the local village shop yesterday, about eight miles from the farm I live on.
I took the bike out to give it a run, first time in weeks.
Passing the service station just outside the village I noticed a group of four bikes on the forecourt, maybe they all work together?
There also seemed to be more traffic then I’d expect.
Looking at the dash clock I’d been out for half an hour, then noticed the clock was still set to winter time, might as well leave it at that!
When we’re eventually let out will there be anywhere to go? How many hotels, b & b’s and campsites will reopen this year? Here or in Europe?
Europe - I'd say isn't happening this year.
I think visitors will be permitted, but you'll have to do 14 days in quarantine, which effectively means you're not welcome as a tourist as yet.

UK.. still too early to say. Probably things will open slowly. My view is if the government say it's ok.. All self catering properties will be booked up solid in days in all the popular areas. I'd say September though before that's likely. 2020 is a right-off now in my view.

Frankly it'll be easier to just do days out this year. Hope I'm wrong.

It’s all very well hopefully planning bike trips, but most of us have families that will want a break. I agree, without Flights to other countries UK places are going to be rammed with family’s, rightly so.
Nearest town to me is Stratford upon Avon, no tourists, all pubs and restaurants closed, talking to locals their future looks bleak.
It's dreadful.

It's the hidden killer here.

Covid has taken over and become the sole focus. This is an illness that 80% of us only have mild symptoms We do need to protect the vulnerable, but permanent lockdown is not the answer. Keep the vulnerable safe at home with logistics in place to help them and let the rest continue with their lives.

Otherwise the indirect toll from this will be huge.

Remember, you're unique!

Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Looks like New Zealand / Australia are off the options list for travel in the near future, for "outsiders":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52540733
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

I'd imagine most places will be off the options list for a while, even internally. I suspect we'll have other more pressing issues to deal with, like Jobs, prices, short term shortages and the second spike. With 95% of fatalities over 55, and obesity being a noted risk factor, it's not just the over 70's that are at risk. Hopefully things will recover, but most likely the economy will take many years. With many materials sourced in one country, manufactured elsewhere and shipped round the globe, I would expect that recovery to be slow starting and prolonged, in part driven by staged returns that are out of synch.
At least pretty well all countries are affected, so we really are all in it together although there are those who are looking to leverage this to their advantage.
And we'll need to make our own infrastructure more robust for the future.
Still,
Mustn't grumble.
:D
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

It looks like the ‘just in time’ production principle may need a rethink.
Even prior to this it was clear the UK needs to be less services reliant and look to get back to expanding science, engineering and manufacturing.
It seems that shopping, eating and drinking are our specialities at the moment. ;)
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
flamair

Post by flamair »

DavidS wrote:It looks like the ‘just in time’ production principle may need a rethink.
Even prior to this it was clear the UK needs to be less services reliant and look to get back to expanding science, engineering and manufacturing.
It seems that shopping, eating and drinking are our specialities at the moment. ;)
Absolutely.

But, I'd imagine things will spin over quicker than you may imagine, providing the dozy twonks in charge realise that fixating on one thing at the expense of absolutely everything else will result in the same result as ignoring the former..

Time will tell.

Remember, you're unique!

ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Back to basic.
Sleeping bag and tent.
Drive on the countryside.
Stay by lakes and nice views.

No cities, no huge places.
Just relax and enjoy.
Attachments
03 Boden.jpg
03 Boden.jpg (129.91 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
02 Älven 2.jpg
02 Älven 2.jpg (110.92 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
01 Älven 1.jpg
01 Älven 1.jpg (193.37 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Like this
Attachments
06 Vilostunden.jpg
06 Vilostunden.jpg (126.42 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
05 Kaffe.jpg
05 Kaffe.jpg (94.92 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
04 Lunch.jpg
04 Lunch.jpg (155.62 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Misti

Post by Misti »

My Mother's day gift was a day of riding the trails with some friends! First time on the bike in a long while and it felt soooo good! Though I'm pretty beat up today LOL. I have a lot of experience on track and pavement riding but not quite as much in the trails! Good fun though :D can't wait to do it again soon!
Attachments
IMG_5356.jpeg
IMG_5356.jpeg (153.4 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
IMG_5391.jpeg
IMG_5391.jpeg (188.84 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
IMG_5359.jpeg
IMG_5359.jpeg (166.42 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

Return to “TRAVEL”