When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
dazcoates

Re: When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

Post by dazcoates »

I'm still using the bike for getting too and from work so it's still getting some use.
Big trip , hopefully will be a year this coming june to Austria and northern Italy , assuming things are back to normal . In the meen time some weekends around our shores should be enough.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Probably Scotland as I have the option to wild camp (If only England, Wales had such freedom, maybe the foirestry commission need to address this post pandemic?) and I would only need to stop for fuel and pot noodles.

I am lucky to have contacts and resources in Asia though so that would be a obvious destination, maybe obtain a small 125 offroad underbone and do a end to end trip that I have been pondering for a while, my two big trips had been saved for this year so as long as I can get back to work ASAP I should still be ok with paying for my free time adventures.

Reading between the lines however and watching how all this unfolds and what is being spoken of I will not be holding my breath about any travel anytime soon, I really hope I am wrong however..

Things that I am pondering but not really looking into currently is where will we be ref travel insurance, what documents will countries want if you enter overland?. I think the option for "fly, ride" will be the prefered and possibly only option for a while???...

Stay safe folks.....
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Re: travel insurance
I’m anticipating that the cost of travel insurance is going to go through the roof
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Peirre wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:56 am Re: travel insurance
I’m anticipating that the cost of travel insurance is going to go through the roof
Unless it excludes any pandemic diseases? Covers their asses, and means we can make reasoned judgements of the risks. They already exclude war zones IIRC.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I’m not sure pandemics were covered anyway.
We were talking to an English girl at Joburg airport the day before SA closed the border to incoming who worked for a big insurance company and she reckoned they wouldn’t get anything for having to go back to Germany a week early.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
WillS

Post by WillS »

When the restrictions to travel in France for leisure/pleasure are lifted the first trip will be up into the Pyrénées onto the French TET trails with a tent, food etc for a few days of continuing with social distancing and wild camping and some great trail riding on the CRF250L.
At the moment we have no idea when this will be possible, also I think riding over to Spain will come after, hopefully in time for the Sort trip in September...
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

I'll keep an eye out for you Will , i'll be traveling south on the TET down past Carcasonne

Image20180828_092817 by Philip Parkinson, on Flickr
WillS

Post by WillS »

Great route that Phil, and good luck.. Will definatley keep an eye out if we are traveling the same route/time...
This was the start South of Carcassonne in May 2015 when we followed the TET for two weeks across the Pyrénées into Spain then east to west.
A great way to spend a couple weeks with small bike and tent!!
Not sure when the border will be open into Spain though if you are thinking to go into Spain..
Let's hope all this is over soon Phil.
IMG_6096.JPG
IMG_6096.JPG (200.67 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

I know it well

Image20180826_175248 by Philip Parkinson, on Flickr

Image20180827_084027 by Philip Parkinson, on Flickr
bowber

Post by bowber »

I'll just be happy to make it past the cattle grid!

Steve

Return to “TRAVEL”