Post Coronovirus, Will we be Welcome as Travellers?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
DavidS

Re: Post Coronovirus, Will we be Welcome as Travellers?

Post by DavidS »

You are damned if you do and you are damned if you don’t.
Ignoring the specifics, so no Brexit diatribes please....plans were put in place in case of no deal that weren’t ultimately needed so everyone moans about wasted money. Don’t plan for a pandemic of a disease that hasn't existed before and we have no way of expecting and people still moan. What do all the barrack room experts suggest could have been done? - without the benefit of hindsight please.

I would feel sorry for any government of any country having to deal with all this, add in a media determined on negative reporting and a large swathe of the population with nothing to do but moan about them they are on a hiding to nothing.

I don’t say the government have got it right but I’m bu**ered if I’d know how to deal with it.

Have you seen that most organised of countries, Japan? They have a worse problem with PPE than we allegedly have.
Last edited by DavidS on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
flamair

Post by flamair »

DavidS wrote:You are damned if you do and you are damned if you don’t.
Ignoring the specifics, so no Brexit diatribes please....plans were put in place in case of no deal that weren’t ultimately needed so everyone moans about wasted money. Don’t plan for a pandemic of a disease that hasn't existed before and people still moan. What do all the barrack room experts suggest could have been done?

I would feel sorry for any government having to deal with all this, a media determined on negative reporting and a large swathe of the population with nothing to do but moan about them.

I don’t say the government have got it right but I’m bu**ered if I know how to deal with it.
Trouble is they've known about this specific threat for months.. And chose to do nothing. They aren't giving us an exit plan outline because they don't have one.

The end result may well be disaster. But that won't be anything directly to do with the virus.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Why publish an exit plan when no-one knows how it will pan out. It would just be a wild guess so completely pointless.
What would your plan be if you are so clever?
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I think we can all sympathise with all governments in this pandemic, and frankly I dont think they have dome too badly.
In the 2 world wars, there were loads of mistakes and needless lives lost, but Britain and allies won in the end.

However, we put our trust in governments to prepare for things we do not even know about, to protect us, (and assume they have got everything covered?)

This government has not even prepared for things we know about, and politically decreased our ability to cope.
flamair

Post by flamair »

DavidS wrote:Why publish an exit plan when no-one knows how it will pan out. It would just be a wild guess so completely pointless.
I would gradually ease current sanctions after another 3 weeks lockdown.
It doesn't really matter what happens regarding the virus. If we don't, the country will be financially screwed for years, kids' education screwed, businesses lost... It's frightening.

Keep a sensible approach, don't allow large gatherings, but gradually get everyone back to work and travelling by the start of the summer.

Yep, I know you may disagree but the current situation is not sustainable for much longer. The consequences of it should it go on for months and months will make Covid seem like fun.

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

flamair wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:01 pm
DavidS wrote:Why publish an exit plan when no-one knows how it will pan out. It would just be a wild guess so completely pointless.
It doesn't really matter what happens regarding the virus. If we don't, the country will be financially screwed for years, kids' education screwed, businesses lost... It's frightening.

Keep a sensible approach, don't allow large gatherings, but gradually get everyone back to work and travelling by the start of the summer.

Yep, I know you may disagree but the current situation is not sustainable for much longer. The consequences of it should it go on for months and months will make Covid seem like fun.
I'm sure (hope) that all governments want to avoid the situation where the cure is worse than the disease.

Some governments seem to have more of a clue how to do things to my uneducated, but enquiring mind. I'll agree that a phased reduction of the lock-down seems to be sensible, and seems to be happening in other countries.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I am sure you all have valid points but there are other threads to talk of the politics and plans of all of this, but if we are discussing here can we please get back on the right piste, The thread was intended to discuss how the future might pan out for us bikers/travellers doing what we like to do when we are able to which I think most would agree we will eventually be able to .

Many of us travel in areas where tourists and their money are not a big concern, other matters are possibly more important to the local populace, so us being there is not a necessity. The way I read it this Corvid is not going to go away 100% for some time to come and the travel lockdown is likely to be lifted before that time, so there will be a time when travel will likely be allowed but a risk of catching and transmitting the virus still exist. Once we are legal to travel again to lets say a to Western European country or even another UK country or Scottish Island will it be right to start roaming around possibly catching the virus and then spreading it unintensionaly of course, if we do go and we stop a local farmer who may be struggling more than us, and we ask him the way to a trail or to the nearest cafe or we stop for a sticky bun someplace what kind of reception will we get? I have always enjoyed my interactions with local people and it is positive part of travel for many of us. What will it be like at the end of this year or the beginning of next, when life will not be back to normal but technically we can indulge back in to our hobby.

Please stick to the original topic as I posted under the Travel Section.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

My guess is that once a vaccine has been developed, some countries will ask for certificates at the border; much like they do for Yellow fever etc now.

Can't remember where, but I was asked for Typhus certs, yellow fever and a few others , possibly smallpox a few years back. I can see this becoming more commonplace eventually.
crofty

Post by crofty »

I have cancelled 2 trips this year and i don't see any chance of foreign travel this year.

I am 70 and even if i could travel the thought of it with no travel insurance for corona virus, no vaccine, probably no herd immunity and daily interacting with people in cafes, petrol stations etc, not to mention going into different hotel rooms night after night that may have been in constant use by other guests, the vigilance needed to maintain distancing and hygiene would be impossible for me and difficult for everyone else so i don't know how welcome we will be.

Then there is the fear of catching it and getting sick in a foreign country, the fear of another flare up and lockdown in another country and being unable to get home. the worry of having to abandon and store your motorcycle if you couldn't ride home. But maybe i'm a glass half empty snowflake and none of the above would phase you, good luck

My exit strategy if and when i can get my bike back on the road is to plan long day trips with good weather,a flask, sandwiches and my camping chair, find a nice quiet spot to have lunch and explore some new roads if possible. If things improve i may try and book a airbnb house in Scotland or Wales where i can explore the area and cook for myself in the evenings.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

flamair wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Actually, I do agree but with a caveat...a phased easement by age group would be disastrous as the apparent segregation could Lead to all sorts of problems.

Back to travel. We’re not expecting to do anything outside the mainland for at least 2020 and maybe 2021. We have a cottage booked in Northumberland in September and it would be nice to get that in.

Over the last few years, in initial retirement, we have been lucky enough to go to most places in the world that are on our bucket list and if we don’t get any more long distance travelling, so be it. However, the anti long haul brigade need to be aware of the damage the loss of tourism would do to a huge number of economies. Even in South Africa, back in March, they were desperate for tourists as their economy is rocking on its heels.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “TRAVEL”