Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
mechanic
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:51 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by mechanic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm

I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
bikenav
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 pm
Location: Llanelli
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by bikenav » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 pm

From my experience with BF they seem very expensive, but once you have shelled out the bucks and got your booking, they are pretty helpfull when you ask them to be re-arranging crossings times etc, I should imagine they will do their best in this situation . It would be a loss to many of us if they were not there again.

User avatar
Scott_rider
Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Scott_rider » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 pm

mechanic wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm
I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
We are in the same situation. Our business interruption specifies the reasons that you can claim and includes a list of viruses, including things like SARS, but not Covid 19 because that didn’t exist when we took the policy out.
Yamaha Tracer 900...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Agent Orange
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Agent Orange » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:54 pm

I too have paid out for BF crossing in july, but in my T5 with the family £650 economy payment so no refund :shock:
I reckon/hope I will get a voucher for next year. I am not loaded but have excepted the idea I will loose my money, so a voucher will be a bonus. As mentioned insurance companies are being elusive and wriggling. I paid for insurance, through another company when I booked the ferry, I also may loose my campsite deposit of £250.
Life is shit sometimes, there are a lot of people a lot worse of than me, is my only thought in these dire times.
OP Good luck you may need it.
Nows wheres my beer :o

Sanqhar
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Sanqhar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm

mechanic wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm
I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
Of course if the virus had existed it wouldn't be covered because it was a pre-existing condition.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Oop North John
Posts: 1497
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 am
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Oop North John » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:44 am

Sanqhar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm
mechanic wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm
I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
Of course if the virus had existed it wouldn't be covered because it was a pre-existing condition.
I was e-mailed by my travel insurance company that basically if you bought their insurance after March 18th then Coronavirus was a pre-existing condition, and therefore you'd not be covered, if it was a cause of a claim, seems fair to me

Tonibe63
Posts: 2315
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:05 pm
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 294 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Tonibe63 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am

Oop North John wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:44 am
Sanqhar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm
mechanic wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm
I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
Of course if the virus had existed it wouldn't be covered because it was a pre-existing condition.
I was e-mailed by my travel insurance company that basically if you bought their insurance after March 18th then Coronavirus was a pre-existing condition, and therefore you'd not be covered, if it was a cause of a claim, seems fair to me
So one won't pay out because Corona didn't exist and the other won't pay out because it did exist.
Either way it's the gamemaker (insurance companies) who make the rules, this is true about any gambling game be it horses/football/roullette or stock market/insurance/investments.
The result is the average punter loses out.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you but open your mind and you see a whole new World

Oop North John
Posts: 1497
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 am
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Oop North John » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 am

Tonibe63 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am
Oop North John wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:44 am
Sanqhar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm
mechanic wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm
I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
Of course if the virus had existed it wouldn't be covered because it was a pre-existing condition.
I was e-mailed by my travel insurance company that basically if you bought their insurance after March 18th then Coronavirus was a pre-existing condition, and therefore you'd not be covered, if it was a cause of a claim, seems fair to me
So one won't pay out because Corona didn't exist and the other won't pay out because it did exist.
Either way it's the gamemaker (insurance companies) who make the rules, this is true about any gambling game be it horses/football/roulette or stock market/insurance/investments.
The result is the average punter loses out.
Mine wouldn't pay out if you booked your travel on the 19th, and it was cancelled due to the virus, seems logical to me?

Peirre
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Peirre » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

I was due to travel Portsmouth- Bilbao on July 5th, originally on the bike, then changed booking for the car (£fee), I’ve not cancelled yet as I’m waiting for the decision of the authorities mid May as to whether the faro bike show will go ahead. I’ve spent around £400 on BF for a 1 way trip. Ultimately I think the trip will get cancelled wether by myself or BF, but I’m not going to rush into doing it

AlanHolt
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:28 pm
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by AlanHolt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:23 pm

We were booked on the Bilbao ferry to Ireland on the 16th April. As its BF who have cancelled the sailing, we should get a refund, but we will have to see how BF decide to proceed. Sailing at a later date isn't an option for us.

Post Reply

Return to “TRAVEL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests