Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Monster

Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Monster »

Hi All

We have a ferry booked for the Portsmouth to Santander crossing on May 1st
Of course in the current climate this is almost certainly not going to happen

Just wanted to see what has happened to people with cancelled bookings due to the Corona Virus cancellations

A new date is hard to select as who knows when the ban will end and how long things will take to get back to normal
Once the world starts up again it may also be hard to take a holiday for many people
Also I had to take my second choice date even though I booked 6 months ahead, so choices may be severely limited

Is a straight-up refund an option? My booking is with Brittany Ferries

Thanks - stay safe
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Tramp

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Tramp »

Refund.. No chance but depending on which of the 3 booking options you paid under you can transfere to a later date... If you chose the changeable version only and have paid in full and its 11 days I think before departure you get some back less deposit..

It's all on there Web site... I was due out mid June so cancelled as I'd just paid deposit... Or phone them they really are nice folks to deal with unlike eurotunnel who have stuffed many frequent travellers me included... I'm out about 500quid... Bastards...
Monster

Post by Monster »

Brittany Ferries have sent out an email to say that they have shut their phone service

Tried to read the website ... blah blah blah. The full amount has been paid now

Just thought that there may be a good example out there - ideally I would like a refund so that I can put my failed trip to bed
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I had one cancelled last year when a ferry caught fire at sea. They wouldn’t issue a refund, even though their fault, however did get a voucher which you can keep on renewing. They were very helpful on the phone.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

We're booked on the Portsmouth to Santander boat in mid-June, deposit paid a few months ago... :?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Monster

Post by Monster »

Ferry changes.PNG
Ferry changes.PNG (72.05 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
From trying to make a new booking .... This is helpful

I have sent them a message and I will wait for a reply

What a mess as everything is full of course ... and will only get worse as people make changes
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Guys their business has gone to just freight then to nothing... My company who I worked for until last Friday... Supplied the ferry's, airports and cruise industry... Everything crashed on Friday...

The deposit with bf is non refundable... If you haven't paid in full cancel and think ha ho I'm alive.... Folks really need to start thinking of not being selfish...... Millions will soon be in economic melt down....

Just sit it out and maybe you can all have a ride next year or autumn if we are lucky....
Monster

Post by Monster »

Interesting to be called selfish here

I gave them a 6 month (or more) interest free loan

They can’t deliver what I paid for. They never gave me the best options to start with either.

Surely they have insurance

Excuse me whilst I go out to bulk buy all the bog roll and then sell it door to door (by the sheet) to all the old folks
Monster

Post by Monster »

This is being discussed a hell of a lot in other areas including other forums and Facebook etc

Plenty of P’d off travellers about

Sure there are plenty of very important things going on in the world right now

People could use the refunds to buy essentials because the economy is really going to suffer

Time for some good customer service to win friends
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Maybe, if all the customers demanded refunds, it would cause the immediate collapse of the ferry company. In this case many could end up with nothing back and the ferry company workers wouldn't have a job to buy their own essentials.
Sadly there are no winners or losers in this situation but maybe with some understanding and cooperation there will be a future for the company, it's workers and the customers.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TRAVEL”