Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Helicoptermanr22

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

I was booked on the 20th april from Plymouth to santander, half my payment was on the original pricing and other half on the 3tier system because i had a credit note from the Pont Aven was cancelled due to rudder failure last year.
100% it wont go ahead but need them to cancel for a refund or credit note and will have to go later in the year
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm I was booked on the 20th april from Plymouth to santander, half my payment was on the original pricing and other half on the 3tier system because i had a credit note from the Pont Aven was cancelled due to rudder failure last year.
100% it wont go ahead but need them to cancel for a refund or credit note and will have to go later in the year
In almost the same position here.
The wonky rudder happened to us, and gave a 2 day marathon from Portugal to Caen on trail bikes!

We booked again in November for a June Portsmouth/Santander crossing (gluttons for punishment we are :D ) and paid half, with the balance due soon.
We now suspect the chance of getting our £200 each back (or rolled on until next year) are nil, so going to cancel now rather than pay the other half, and see if them cancelling before June would increase our chances of a refund.

I realise our piddling 3 x £200 is nothing compared to what some people have lost or experiencing, but feel switching the phones off and ignoring emails slightly crap customer service!
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

It probably helps no one but the bf staff have been shit on as well and are not happy either about present situation... I delt with many of them as work colleges and they where helpfull happy French folks...
smudger272

Post by smudger272 »

what about if you payed by credit card can you not get your money back as they are not providing a service
I payed by CC
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

If you paid by card, contact your card company as you may be able to claim any losses from them. RBS have been helpful with me over the years including ££££ work to a car I bought that the seller refused to do. Provided some evidence that I tried and failed to get them to do it, then quote for the work and they transferred the money immediately on receipt.

You should be able to get a refund if UK Gov has issued a travel ban / restriction (or whatever they call it notice) for the country you were intending to travel to.

Also, if a travel ban is in place for the time of travel, the ferry company should automatically give you a refund as they cannot fulfil their contract with you. You shouldn't have to accept another travel date.

Citizens advice website may help.

I have flights booked in early July, which I doubt will happen, however they were cheap enough that I can just sit on them and see what happens. Funnily enough Easyjet were doing cheap flights in the new year 2021, so I booked Glasgow to Paris return for the Six Nations game next year for less than £60.00. Worth a punt....

On Insurance, I have a yearly policy and got an email to state that I was covered for Travel Disruption so long as ant trip was booked before the outbreak.

For some reason I held off on booking a bike trip this year, thinking I would go towards the end of September. I usually book ferries over Christmas when bored, then work out what to do with them later.....Glad I held off.
Helicoptermanr22

Looks like they just extended another week, all cancelled until 22 nd April so thats me buggered then however not surprised at all.
Will await the email from them and see where we go!
Helicoptermanr22

Just had an email from Brittany saying they will give a travel voucher for up to two years worth 244.

What about the other £204 i asked them as 244 was for one way so will wait for response again.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Perhaps you'll get the rest when the time limit is up for your return trip?
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Is the refund in one lump sum? What if there were 2 or 4 people on the booking? You may not be able to rebook together?

What if the outbound sailing gets cancelled but then things get back to normal. You are not likely to be on the return when your trip never
happened because of the original cancellation

Uncertain times indeed
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Oh well, given up on this now, and just going to cancel losing the £606 deposit.
Doing nothing will soon trigger the balance of another £606 - which might or might not get us anywhere, so due to the complete lack of any communication from Brittany Ferries not risking that option!

What beats me is that there's no one there to even answer a simple email enquiry?
I sort of get the 'currently not answering phones' thing at the moment, but you'd think someone would have taken the laptop home and been able to reply to at least one of the emails I've sent them :?

Return to “TRAVEL”