Bike insurance for long european trip?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
cyclicexistence

Bike insurance for long european trip?

Post by cyclicexistence »

Hi all
I'm planning 6 months to a year in europe, staying in a few different countries a couple of months at a time along the way. I'd like to go on my bike and not have to return to the UK during this time. The longest cover I have found so far is from MCE who allow up to 183 days abroad in the year (which they say can be continuous). This is 6 months, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a company providing longer cover?
Thanks!
qcnr

Re: Bike insurance for long european trip?

Post by qcnr »

You may already be the forst victim of Brexit. If you want to stay longer away than 01.01.21, it will entirely depend on what sort of
deal the UK has managed to broker with the EU. Will you need a green card, Visa for extended stay abroad, rather than the 3 month
(90 days) tourist allowance. Not sure you will find an insurance company willing to take on an unknown risk.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Can you arrange it so that you do the last 183 days in one year and the next 183 in another of your insurance year.
I think there may be country rules that require you to register the bike in that country if you stay more than 6 months.
If you're visiting any countries outside the EU you will need a green card.
The time limit only applies to your fully comp requirements of the insurance, third party cover is extended to the full term of any insurance under the current rules.
biker

Post by biker »

The best I had was when i insured my bike was with Liberty Seguras in Spain, I was covered for North Africa all through Europe into Russia, the only exception was Albania. Breakdown was included in the price but only for Spain, Portugal, Italy and France but i'm guessing you can pay extra to include more countries.
I AM THAT I AM

Return to “TRAVEL”