WAW and timings for trip

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Foggy

WAW and timings for trip

Post by Foggy »

Hi all just a quick question which could open a big can of worms so sorry in advance
I a few years back did half of the WAW,
A bit of a novel route galway to Kinsale, anyway,
My next trip to the emerald isle. I'm hoping to watch the last 2 days of the NW200 (weather permitting) then run west to pick up the WAW .
Would it be possible to get to Galway in 5 days and see all the good bits ,I know mileage wise its possible but if the roads are anything like the s outhern bit ,slow twisting and great views making you stop to wonder .🏍🏍🏍 oh and there's 3 of us. 2 on the obligatory BMW gs and me on my ktm990 hooligan adventure 😎. :D
Flintlock

Re: WAW and timings for trip

Post by Flintlock »

There's a hell of alot of coast between Portrush and Galway!! You could do it in five days, however you would miss out on alot - as you know ts a route that is best savoured at a relaxed pace.

To start you could make a beeline for the ferry from Magilligan Point in Co Londonderry and cross to Greencastle in Co Donegal to join the WAW south bound (however you will initially be headijng North from Greencastle up to Malin) also,check that the ferry is running before you commit. This would save time riding to Derry and then out to Greencastle that way - downside you would skip a few miles of the WAW.

I think the best way would be to take your time, as you said loads of places to stop, there are also loads of wee detours off the main route to explore. If you don't make it to Galway - its a good excuse to come back to complete it. 8-)
Foggy

Re: WAW and timings for trip

Post by Foggy »

Cheers for the reply
I noticed that ferryπŸ€”, it's all an adventure though I will no doubt take my time and use booking.com , I'm hoping to catch the ferry out of Rosslare at the end of the week so I can cut across to get there.πŸ‘πŸ‘

Return to β€œTRAVEL”