France recommendations ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
garyboy

France recommendations ?

Post by garyboy »

to alleviate the usual cabin fever at this time of year, I suddenly had the idea of actually creating something to look forward to that would alleviate the seasonal lows. I have now got the EU bike insurance (for 90 days) with recovery, and a very economical bike, and seem to be in a slightly better position financially. Last year I fancied going to France and recreate my first m/c ROAD trip abroad, which was from Calais, through the centre of France, and then to St Tropez, hoping to meet BB :lol: (yes, I am a silly old fool :roll: but it gave a destination).

Anyway .. that was a long time ago, in the seventies, I think, and there have been many trips since but none that could meet the feeling of adventure of that first one, and also, things have changed, eg the Millau Bridge, and other places were not known to me anyway.

My question is.. .. (ROAD ONLY, TRIP) ..
1. what is the best time of year to go?
2. where are the recommended `must visit` places/areas?
3. and why?

Looking forward to some replies 8-)
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
byewayrider

Re: France recommendations ?

Post by byewayrider »

1 anytime
2 all of the country
3 because its there and you have un moto

We each see different things through our eyes and one mans nirvana is anothers sespit....june ans late sept are my favorite times....
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

byewayrider wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:48 pm 1 anytime
2 all of the country
3 because its there and you have un moto

We each see different things through our eyes and one mans nirvana is anothers sespit....june ans late sept are my favorite times....

very true :D
and thanks for the reply ..

.. but some idea of what makes other people's `nirvana` may give me an input into `must see` destinations 8-)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

We always go in June - long days and evenings and outside of school holidays so less traffic.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Scott_rider wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:05 pm We always go in June - long days and evenings and outside of school holidays so less traffic.

Good point …. I clearly remember the horrendous traffic in north east France in the 2 weeks holidays

also `June` or so, would give me time to save a bit .. (andforget saving for a van and small trail bike :( :roll: )

also I think this is the time the wild flowers and sunflowers are out ??????
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I'm a big France fan the only region not visited is Bordeaux it looks a bit boring from a riding perspective that could be wrong one day I will try and find out , all other areas have their merits, for a pure riding tour south of Clermont Ferrand is the half to head to, except right on the coast and I like coasts, Ardeche, Cevennes, Provence, Alps, Vercors, and of course Pyrenees, etc from my experience offer the best riding/travel experience. In the north following the Grand rivers can offer some interest and there is a huge amount of 20th century military history to delve into and a bike is the perfect way to follow in the path of Generals, everybodys interest is different I'm certain there is plenty there for you, heck it is worth going just for the pâtisserie. Narrow it down what might interest you perhaps it will be easier to offer advice. From doing my trips I would say France allways delivers, avoid the South mid summer though.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Um, France, where to start??

May, June and September are definitely the best months but be aware that the French can still believe that no one is on holiday if it’s not July or August so sometimes it can be a pain finding campsites. The campervan brigade have made a difference and most tourist attractions go from Easter to end of October these days.

It terms of what to see, it depends on what you like. In my view there are a lot of ‘dull’ attractions which bang on boringly about French heritage. Places I wouldn’t miss (I like history rather than heritage) include:

Loire valley Chateaux especially Chenonceau
Oradour - site of Nazi atrocity in WW2
Avignon - home of ancient Popes, nice bridge
Millau (town) - nice place with a bridge
Gorges du Tarn
Gorges de Verdun
Grand route des
(Rocamadour)
(Route Napoleon)
Towns/Resorts on the Med coast - my favourite is Le Lavandou

A lot of great roads linking these places.

I wouldn’t bother with or St Cirq
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

bikenav wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:19 pm .. region not visited is Bordeaux it looks a bit boring from a riding perspective
.. for a pure riding tour south of Clermont Ferrand is the half to head to, except right on the coast ,
Ardeche, Cevennes, Provence, Alps, Vercors, and of course Pyrenees, etc from my experience offer the best riding/travel experience.
20th century military history to delve into
heck it is worth going just for the pâtisserie.
Narrow it down what might interest you perhaps it will be easier to offer advice. From doing my trips I would say France allways delivers, avoid the South mid summer though.

Hiya Paul .. yes, I just laave France !! .. what interests me is ..
1. ... historical places, especially Roman stuff .. been to Pont du Gard, Orange (on my `visit` list again this time, as on my very first route.) Though not so much the military stuff .. though recently, having watched tv, the Nazi superstructures are very interesting/fascinating, and the North France ww2 thing is best done as a separate trip?
2. ... Cathedrals and chateaux,
3. ... ancient cities, including the stone age caves, mountain villages,
4. Loire, Dordoyne regions.
5. ... small cafes and large hypermarkets,
6. ... Patisseries :)
7. ... Small harbours like La Rochelle,
8. ... large open ranges of full French fields
9. ... stupendous views ahead ..
10. …

i think you may get my drift ?
I have since been to many of the places you mentioned ... difficult to choose from them .. tho not been to the vercors .. and did not like the twisty Napoleons route ... starting to get excited now .. feels much better than cabin fever :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I have thought of criss crossing france and going to the dordoyne, Bordeaux, la Rochelle, [possibly nantes brest again?] .. defo Clermont f and puy, loved (whats that detectives place in south?), frejus, .. .. but open to suggestions and to try to fit it all in ?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Magnon wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:41 pm
May, June and September are definitely the best months ..

Places I wouldn’t miss (I like history rather than heritage) include:

Loire valley Chateaux especially Chenonceau .. FANCY THE LOIRE .. WILL CHECK OUT CHENONCEAU.
Oradour - site of Nazi atrocity in WW2 …… HEARD A LOT … WILL CHECK POSITION.
Avignon - home of ancient Popes, nice bridge …. BEEN THERE, WOULD GO AGAIN THO.
Millau (town) - nice place with a bridge … MUST SEE THAT LI'L OL BRIDGE.
Gorges du Tarn ..Gorges de Verdun ..Grand route des (Rocamadour) .....WILL CHECK OUT ALL THESE ON GOOGLE MAPS
(Route Napoleon) .. NOT FUSSED BUT SOME INTERSTING VIEWS AND EXPERIENCES THERE.
Towns/Resorts on the Med coast - my favourite is Le Lavandou . ...WILL CHECK OUT ALL THESE

A lot of great roads linking these places.

I wouldn’t bother with or St Cirq

Return to “TRAVEL”