France recommendations ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Scott_rider

Re: France recommendations ?

Post by Scott_rider »

...one motorway that will get your heart racing is the A75...south of the Millau bridge down to Beziers. It's like a giant Scalextric track 8-) . As I always say, it's not big and it's not clever to have a warp speed attack...but if you are going to then this is the place to do it :oops: :) 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

spangle wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am I spent 5 weeks camping in France and Spain this summer. I wasn’t really bothered about site prices so wasn’t particular looking for cheapest, but my average nightly site came in at 13.5€ (which include one night at 42€!).

I didn’t stay on any site that I wouldn’t return to either, except the 42€ gaff in Montblanc (Spain), which was more like a kids adventure park run by French students.

Many municipal sites were 8€ per night and had swimming pool, bar & restaurant.

garyboy wrote:
daveuprite wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:07 am I've never done the AirBNB method, like Chunky has, but I always used to use the tourist offices when touring. Just arrive in a decent sized town by about 5pm and the tourist office (which is usually well sign-posted) will show you through a book of all the local accommodation. You pick a chambre d'hote, hotel or whatever and they will ring them for you and book you in, give you directions etc, and you're sorted for the night.
thanks for the tips Dave … but, as always, I will be on a shoestring budget .. as usual :? :lol: 8-)
I dont think i would even know how to book into a hotel :o
now, kipping on a bench .. yes .. experienced :oops: :lol:
.. mostly `campings` it will be .. as long as not too dear.
.. and that will be bare minimum gear .. or try to be :oops:
but thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Municipal sites are great based in small towns villages have most the essentials shop in walking distance bread cheese and wine .
French Municipal Campsites In France - EUtouring.com
https://www.eutouring.com/municipal_cam ... sites.html
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Benson-1215 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:50 pm
spangle wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am I spent 5 weeks camping in France and Spain this summer. I wasn’t really bothered about site prices so wasn’t particular looking for cheapest, but my average nightly site came in at 13.5€ (which include one night at 42€!).

Many municipal sites were 8€ per night and had swimming pool, bar & restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Municipal sites are great based in small towns villages have most the essentials shop in walking distance bread cheese and wine .
French Municipal Campsites In France - EUtouring.com
https://www.eutouring.com/municipal_cam ... sites.html

great info there, Benson .. which ties in with Spangle's experience … around £13.50
the info on the website seems to give prices for caravanners with 2 people though .. can I assume that single person with tent is around £8 as per Spangle? .. or cheaper??

must admit the idea of camping every night is more appealing then roughing it as standard :?
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

Gary the one i used in Domfront was 3.50 Euros per night plus 0.5 Euros for the bike one man and his tent.
The site was clean basic with a small shop about 5 mins walk away for the basics.
ended up staying 3 nights as it was so relaxing.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

The whole area around Domfront is great in my opinion.
Parc Normandie Maine, fantastic. Follow the Route du Poire if going to Domfront. Not too far from the beaches as well.
Like someone said a few posts back, you have to go back to France again and again to really get the feel for it. So much can be overlooked if you don't go off the beaten track.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Benson-1215 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:17 pm Gary the one i used in Domfront was 3.50 Euros per night plus 0.5 Euros for the bike one man and his tent.
The site was clean basic with a small shop about 5 mins walk away for the basics.
ended up staying 3 nights as it was so relaxing.
Brilliant … thanks for that, Benson :) … was hoping there were some sensible cheap sites about … not worth roughing it for that price 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm The whole area around Domfront is great in my opinion.
Parc Normandie Maine, fantastic. Follow the Route du Poire if going to Domfront. Not too far from the beaches as well.
Like someone said a few posts back, you have to go back to France again and again to really get the feel for it. So much can be overlooked if you don't go off the beaten track.

thankyou Billy ..
At the moment I like all the suggestions which means I will be in France for all 2020 by the looks :lol:
I will have to decide a time limit, though that is purely a finance issue as i am retired, and will know nearer the time what funds i got.

though, .. my pension is weekly and i suppose i could just have that for food and camp sites and some travelling in between?

Will i be able to access my bank account in France ... i assumed i would.
and is it better to carry a credit card as opposed to a debit card, in case of loss?
or.. [what i was thinking] .. carry both?
or.. all cash but with an emergency card backup?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Will i be able to access my bank account in France ... i assumed i would. YES, NO PROBLEM. JUST USE ANY ATM MACHINE. CONTACTLESS IS NOW COMMONPLACE FOR UNDER 30 EURO PURCHASES TOO.

and is it better to carry a credit card as opposed to a debit card, in case of loss? OR MAYBE BRING BOTH BUT DON'T KEEP THEM BOTH IN YOUR WALLET AT THE SAME TIME. (HOWEVER THERE IS VERY LITTLE THEFT/CRIME IN THE COUNTRYSIDE. THE VAST MAJORITY IS IN THE LARGER CITIES.)

or.. [what i was thinking] .. carry both? AS ABOVE

or.. all cash but with an emergency card backup? BRING SOME CASH FOR BUYING A BAGUETTE IN THE MORNING ETC. ALSO MARKET TRADERS AND SOME OTHERS DON'T HAVE CARD MACHINES.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for that Dave .. so basically it's the same as in the UK .. so different to years ago :)
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

Gary another option to think about is enter and leave by different ports (I prefer a boat to the hole under sea) This way you sample more regions
(And wine) so Dover to Calais outward and maybe St Malo or Le Havre on your return. The later is more expensive but can be booked as an overnight so you can get some sleep before the last leg home to Wales.

Return to “TRAVEL”