Aibnb?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
byewayrider

Aibnb?

Post by byewayrider »

Okay I'm 60 soon and like camping but not when moving every night... So for next year I'm going to be brave :lol:.. I've never used Airbnb and hate dorms full of teenagers or cheap hotels..

How's it work? Mainly France, Spain to start with... Lovely quite country places.. Can you book say lunchtime then turn up that night just need a shower and bed.. Always carry my own bedding.. Funny that way lol..

I can use Android...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
chunky butt

Re: Aibnb?

Post by chunky butt »

Booking .com or similar could be your answer. When we go away, never book anything, then no later than five o'clock pull over for a drink, booking.com, see what they've got in that area, even some special deals about, ........ happy days
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Often places on airbnb are also on booking.com.
Booking.com is more 'instant' booking which is useful for 1 night and booking on the day. We often book on the morning we leave somewhere and are confident roughly where we will be by teatime.
We've also used airbnb when booking for a minimum 3 or 4 day stay and usually no less than a week in advance.
Never had a problem with either site and use them more than camping these days.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
crofty

Post by crofty »

Yes you can do that with Airbnb, although I tend to use them for longer stays than one night as there is usually a cleaning charge etc.
As other have said booking.com is great, i usually pull over for a coffee and sit looking at the options.
You say you don,t like cheap hotels but in France and Spain they are all cheap compared to the UK.
Register on both and plan a few imaginary journeys and see how it pans out
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Cheers all.... When I say cheap hotels it's the likes of f1 and ibis budget etc... Had to many bad experiences... The ibis style are great in Spain and Portugal for not a lot more money.... I've used booking. Com but mainly for specific dates rather than on the hop..

You. Can only try stuff out eh...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
RandG

Post by RandG »

I did airbnb in France and Spain when I went to the Pyrenees. One of the ones I went to in Spain was utterly magnificent, huge house and huge room with a lovely couple, though only the bloke spoke English. The next one was in Bilboa, in a large group of flats buliding, house was immaculate but the woman owner was very strange, ore or less put me off airbnb. The one in France was more like someone's small house and they didn't speak a word of English, I just stayed in the room the whole time I was there.

I'd do it again but probably not solo.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

The Shack is on airbnb but we do a 4 day minimum stay , if it was just a room its ok for 1 nighters
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

I use Air B&B a lot has an instant book facility, works out better for groups and longer stays, fees can vary, I also use Booking.com and Hotels.com great for late deals.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Just plan a route and book in advance. If your solo, don't bother. Look for Zimmer frei in Germany for example. I know a lot of people don't like to prebook as it makes them feel tied or whatever. Personally I pre book now.
I used to do 2 nights camping then one night hotel with the wife all over Europe, if it rained hotel. Never had an issue getting g a room, just the 2 of us.
But saying that, we were sat in Chamonix at 11pm one night, and noticed 5 brit bikes riding around and round, so I went up and burbled over them asking what's up. Looking for hotels since 4 pm, I said best you keep going as it's all fully booked here too.
I now always book on Booking.com and the like and cancel or take the hit.
dazcoates

Post by dazcoates »

Pre book on booking .com and I dont think you pay anything until a week or so before your stay which enables you to cancel if necessary.
I've just booked 5 places for next years trip in may. 3 with booking .com ( one nighters) the other 2 with airbandb for 4 nights each and have paid 50% of the cost of these 2 already.
The booking.com stops are pay on arrival.
Works for us but I know everyone has personal preference.
Hope your trip goes well .
Ps just come back from Bavaria. Stayed in Fussen for 6 nights ( airbandb) 4 other stops through booking.com.
Both excellent sites for stays.

Return to “TRAVEL”