Great news! USA and Canada Insurance

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
OnHellas

Great news! USA and Canada Insurance

Post by OnHellas »

I’ve just received an email from motorcycleexpress.com re insurance for foreign registered bikes for non Americans having a ride around.
I didn’t work through a quote but it’s good news after nearly two years of struggle to replace the previous underwriter.

If you’re planning a trip with your bike in North America give them a try and let us all know your findings.
flipflopdog

Re: Great news! USA and Canada Insurance

Post by flipflopdog »

Nice one bud, been looking into this of late for a trip next year so will follow up on your info here....
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Yes, it seems like they're the most comprehensive option available currently, with $300,000 third party liability, which isn't massive, but better than Seguro Gringo, a Mexican broker we had to use last time with a limit of $20,000.
fastrhino

Post by fastrhino »

I have just submitted a quote so I will let you know what they come back with for 6 months in the USA and Canada.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We used Seguro Gringo for the North American leg of our recent travels.
No theft or accidental damage cover was available so we self insured for those potential outcomes.
It was $475 per bike for 6 months, USA and Canada.
I never felt 100$ convinced by the policy but others seem to think it was OK and had bought it.
It gave us a piece of paper to show if we were pulled over by the police.

Ultimately we didn’t crash, get pulled or have anything stolen so happy days.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

fastrhino wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:23 am I have just submitted a quote so I will let you know what they come back with for 6 months in the USA and Canada.
I imagine it could be a bit pricey. Another one to try is Fernet.

Just out of curiosity OnHellas, who did you self insure your bikes with to cover theft and damage?
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

nathanm wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:01 am
fastrhino wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:23 am I have just submitted a quote so I will let you know what they come back with for 6 months in the USA and Canada.
I imagine it could be a bit pricey. Another one to try is Fernet.

Just out of curiosity OnHellas, who did you self insure your bikes with to cover theft and damage?
Self insure as in ‘ourselves’. We looked at the price of a policy we were offered against the value of our bikes and decided to take the risk ourselves and buy cover for the third party risk.

We didn’t go down the Fernet route as others had as we didn’t feel it was 100% correct using a fictional US address. For me, lying on an insurance proposal is a total no no.
fastrhino

Post by fastrhino »

I got the quote back, I am glad I was sat down at the time I opened it.

$1942 for Comprehensive, Collision, Trip Interruption and Roadside assistance. This also includes Liability and Medical payments of $2,000.

that quote is based on 6 months and me being 50 year old rider, my bike is a 2016 BMW R1200GSA.
fastrhino

Post by fastrhino »

OnHellas wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:21 am
Self insure as in ‘ourselves’. We looked at the price of a policy we were offered against the value of our bikes and decided to take the risk ourselves and buy cover for the third party risk.
How did you go about getting mandatory third party cover?
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

fastrhino wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:25 pm I got the quote back, I am glad I was sat down at the time I opened it.

$1942 for Comprehensive, Collision, Trip Interruption and Roadside assistance. This also includes Liability and Medical payments of $2,000.

that quote is based on 6 months and me being 50 year old rider, my bike is a 2016 BMW R1200GSA.
Yeah I thought that might be about the figure for 6 months, Not cheap!

That obviously includes your mandatory third party insurance, with an upper limit of $100,000 if a single person involved or $300,000 if multiple. It's still naff all cover for the USA but Serguro Gringo was only $20,000 of third party liability cover, which is the minimum legal amount in many states.

I reckon SG will be about half the price of Motorcycle Express, if not less, but you'll just have a lower level of cover.

Tough one. In your situation - going for 6 months - I'd be tempted to go for SG and just ride steady. The litmus test is when someone has to use either company to make a claim.

Return to “TRAVEL”