Routes from UK-Russia and Kazahkstan

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
HoboBeemer

Routes from UK-Russia and Kazahkstan

Post by HoboBeemer »

I know I know Horizons unlimited is for asking this stuff but I like to live on the edge, :?

So looking like I will have a spare 6 weeks around May June 2020 (Lucky me) and I really need to get a longer trip in as it has been a while, I have not been out to Russia before and I am looking at possible options ref getting there, it seems Ukraine can be iffy? and Belarus can have very long waiting times at the border..

I am loosely planning a route and wondered if anyone has advice on a ideal border crossing from Europe, happy to hear of any good roads etc to check out on the way there also.

I would really like to go on a Northern European route heading out then a more southern route coming back but I am very fluid with the options.
PaulinBont

Re: Routes from UK-Russia and Kazahkstan

Post by PaulinBont »

I did Netherlands- Germany- ferry to Latvia - Estonia- Russia-Georgia--Turkey-Greece- ferry to Italy- France and home. Recommended :)
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Any specifics, just ask. My paperwork was in order, no border hassles at all
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

PaulinBont wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:14 pm Any specifics, just ask. My paperwork was in order, no border hassles at all
Tar for the info,

I do not foresee any issues with paperwork although I have been told I need a immigration card due to being half cockney, (I jest of course).

I think I will let the folks at "Visa Machine" sort the Russia Visa out as they seem to be recommended, I would actually be happy to miss out Kazakhstan to visit Turkey and that was in the back of my mind.

Out of interest any reason for the Ferry to Latvia, Also how long was you in Russia for to cover the distance to Georgia?

Regards
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Weather wise, would you be better going a southern route on the way there in May/June - not as hot as July/August in Turkey.
Maybe there’s not that much difference?
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Flipflop wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:53 pm Weather wise, would you be better going a southern route on the way there in May/June - not as hot as July/August in Turkey.
Maybe there’s not that much difference?
Thank for the info,

To be honest heat really is not a issue for me, I would normally be cycling out in Asia on a extended holiday each year so fairly well versed in keeping on top of heat management in 30+ degrees with 90% humidity. Plus I would ideally like to camp as much as possible, far easier in warmer weather than cold.

I expect to be able to leave the UK in the last week of May as it currently stands.

Regards
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

HoboBeemer wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:55 pm
PaulinBont wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:14 pm Any specifics, just ask. My paperwork was in order, no border hassles at all
Tar for the info,

I do not foresee any issues with paperwork although I have been told I need a immigration card due to being half cockney, (I jest of course).

I think I will let the folks at "Visa Machine" sort the Russia Visa out as they seem to be recommended, I would actually be happy to miss out Kazakhstan to visit Turkey and that was in the back of my mind.

Out of interest any reason for the Ferry to Latvia, Also how long was you in Russia for to cover the distance to Georgia?

Regards

The ferry to Lapeida was to miss out the boring flat plains of Northern Germany and Poland to be honest. I was in Russia for four weeks as I went to the Russian HU meeting halfway between St. Petersburg and Moscow , held at Valday National Park every 21st June and then went to the 'Blues and Bikes' festival at Suzdal (resembled Sodom and Gomorrah- loved it!)

Then made my way down to Volgograd via the 'Golden Ring' around Moscow.

The Caucasus were very interesting, especially South Ossetia, then exited Russia into Georgia at Kasbergi, wished I had spent more time in Georgia tbh.

The Black Sea coast of Turkey was brilliant and totally different to the Aegean side.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

PaulinBont wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:42 pm
HoboBeemer wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:55 pm
Tar for the info,

Regards

The ferry to Lapeida was to miss out the boring flat plains of Northern Germany and Poland to be honest. I was in Russia for four weeks as I went to the Russian HU meeting halfway between St. Petersburg and Moscow , held at Valday National Park every 21st June and then went to the 'Blues and Bikes' festival at Suzdal (resembled Sodom and Gomorrah- loved it!)

Then made my way down to Volgograd via the 'Golden Ring' around Moscow.

The Caucasus were very interesting, especially South Ossetia, then exited Russia into Georgia at Kasbergi, wished I had spent more time in Georgia tbh.

The Black Sea coast of Turkey was brilliant and totally different to the Aegean side.
Thanks very much, some decent info to get my teeth into..
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Return to “TRAVEL”