Ferries are filling up fast !!!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tramp

Re: Ferries are filling up fast !!!

Post by Tramp »

It's the same cost for caen crossing and ride down with fuel and food and hotels etc as it's to catch ferry direct to Spain just quicker and less tyre wear and your refreshed...

My booking popmy to Bilbao solo outside cabin and back caen pompey cost 300quid.. Bargain in late June..
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Tramp wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:40 pm It's the same cost for caen crossing and ride down with fuel and food and hotels etc as it's to catch ferry direct to Spain just quicker and less tyre wear and your refreshed...
I agree with that. We've done the trip down through France to Spain several times and have done it both 'fast' and 'leisurely'. Even doing it the fast way costs £90 in fuel and at least £100 in hotels/food for 2 nights, so about £200 in total but probably more like £250 once you factor in tolls and the Eurotunnel at £30...or an extra croissant or two enroute... :) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
beany

Post by beany »

glad we booked last weekend then. portsmouth bibao return 4 bikes 4 riders £415 :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

How would the economics of say 3 bikes and 3 riders on the ferry compare with a van (containing 3 bikes and 3 people)?
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:47 pm How would the economics of say 3 bikes and 3 riders on the ferry compare with a van (containing 3 bikes and 3 people)?
Approximately...in summer...

3 bikes on ferry to Santander = £800 total...or £266 each...for the ferry ticket and allowing for buying food on board.

1 van and 3 passengers via the roads to Santander = £715 total....or £238 each... (£160 diesel for 800 miles, £75 at least for euro tunnel, £300 for hotels for 2 nights for 3 people, £180 food and drinks for 2 days for 3 people).

We've done it by both methods and within a few quid it always works out pretty much the same cost whether you go by ferry or by road. The only way to reduce the cost by road is to have one less stopover in France and then that saves £150 in hotels...but it makes it a very long day... :|
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

I read that as the op wanted to take the van on the ferry.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Just punch in the details and you get a quote.. Simples... 24 hrs relaxing on a boat is better than 800 mks each way driving riding.. IMHO...

Unless you can't do long ferry trips then enjoy the ride down knowing you won't be sick...
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

McVicar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am I read that as the op wanted to take the van on the ferry.
Yes, of course...I missed that :oops: .

I don't know the answer as we've never taken a van on the Ferry but I'm guessing that it will be a similar cost to 3 x bikes/riders on the ferry??
Brittany Ferries seem to be quite good at getting maximum fares regardless of how you try to configure the trip :?
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

They claim that the UK-Spain routes have grown in demand by 80%. I knew they planned to replace the current ferries with new ones, but according to this, they won't be in service until summer 2021.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It works out roughly the same on price to use the ferry or ride down, having ridden down there (but not back) I chose the ferry every time.
Sometimes it seems like Brittany Ferries has worked their prices out to be on a par with the cost to drive/ride down but the fact that they are still in business and investing mega money in new ships suggest that they have a sound business model based on supply and demand (thankfully).
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TRAVEL”