Ferries are filling up fast !!!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Monster

Ferries are filling up fast !!!

Post by Monster »

Planning a trip in May

Of course you have to get time off work plus there are a few other things to sort out right?

Well don't hesitate to make a ferry booking is all I can say

I tried to book Portsmouth to Santander for Saturday May 2nd today and it was full with no sailing on the Sunday or Monday
When I say full I mean for bike bookings. I could have booked a car or motorhome or probably even a damn lorry ... but not 2 bikes

Also there are no real Bilbao options around this time. So I booked Friday the 1st going out & May 23rd coming back
Of course the Friday is now much more expensive suddenly as the 2nd is sold out

There needs to be some more competition here to keep the buggers honest!!
They could do with more sailings as obviously there is the demand ... unless the ship will only have bikes and lorries
(in which case they should allow more bike bookings!!)

Anyway ... the booking is complete which cheered me up after the sad rugby outcome
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
PDiddy

Re: Ferries are filling up fast !!!

Post by PDiddy »

I'm all booked for September, they always fill up fast - :o
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I'm booked for June 8-) .
£460 return, Portsmouth to Santander.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Dont forget may to spain us change over from winter timetable...the pont Aven is in for major refit and engine work...the spain routes are goverened by cabin space not vehicke space..

Im booked on bilbao route next end June 8-) back via Caen i managed a bit of discount as we supply bf ferrys :o :lol: .....september october is busy time to spain for bikers..

Its snowing today on the motorway out from santander south to the costas.....

Also may is bank holiday time in uk
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

So needs some competition again on the UK-N Spain route.

Its a pity the Gijon route never panned out long term, even once or twice a week would be good. Handy for Portugal and West Spain
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Quite fitting this thread popped up as I was looking at crossing prices this morning for April and there are a number of dates I noticed that are filled up already and or only have the higher price accomodation on offer.

I just wish there was a alternative other than having to splash out 500 quid!!!. Kinda makes it unappealing when I can book a return flight from Majorca for 40 quid.

Sadly at these prices I am out the game, got a bigger trip planned for end of May that I will be concentrating and budgeting for.
Last edited by HoboBeemer on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The Pont Aven has been playing up for a few years now which puts pressure on other crossings in terms of availability and price but with little alternative they need to remain financially viable otherwise the service would disappear.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

I totally forgot about the Portsmouth-St Malo option.

Prices are coming in at 234 quid with a cabin return, you can knock a good bit off that if you just want a reserved seat.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You can't compare St malo to the Spanish crossing costs.... Popmy to caen is cheapest around 159 quid return..
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Tramp wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:03 pm You can't compare St malo to the Spanish crossing costs.... Popmy to caen is cheapest around 159 quid return..
True, it's the nicest route into and through N France if heading for NE Spain though. ;)

Not sure it's worth the premium price though. I am tending to find it's cheaper to get across in the day, land early evening, and then grab a pre booked Premierclasse or F1 room 30-40 miles from the ports. However, as the poor old pound gets worth less and less, this is not quite the sure fire option now!! :?
Last edited by SteveR on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TRAVEL”