Huawei in europe and goggle aps

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
byewayrider

Huawei in europe and goggle aps

Post by byewayrider »

Okay on a recent trip to France with my huawier p10 it did sonething its not done before... Fucked up.... Basically google map overlays in search engines and inrix traffix ap stopped displaying the goggle maps... Do a searxh for a hotel and google earth map wont show or even street view..

Is this a google huawei thing in france only as on return to uk the phones back to its great self..

Ive got a spain and portugal trip next month and if its not working in them countrys ill take a older phone
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Bryn

Re: Huawei in europe and goggle aps

Post by Bryn »

byewayrider wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:58 pm Okay on a recent trip to France with my huawier p10 it did sonething its not done before... Fucked up.... Basically google map overlays in search engines and inrix traffix ap stopped displaying the goggle maps... Do a searxh for a hotel and google earth map wont show or even street view..

Is this a google huawei thing in france only as on return to uk the phones back to its great self..

Ive got a spain and portugal trip next month and if its not working in them countrys ill take a older phone
I'd be keen to know the answer to this as well. I've not experienced any problems, but then I haven't been to France recently!

It really is a shame what's happening with Huawei and Google - my Mate 20 Pro is the best phone I've owned, hands down, and I would be keen to upgrade to the Mate 30 Pro this Christmas. Now that you can't get the Google Play store, it's not such an attractive proposition.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Its a strange thing as the camera on huawei are leica and take excellent pics and vids...

My riding partner had a old samsung and a samsung tab A6 both same android 8 with no probs but mine has version 9.1.....

Maybe the android version?...and yes they are excellent phones 8-)
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Is this part of the general international we hate Huawei (?) argument going on? Have France banned them?

That said, we had trouble with Google Maps for nav in Canada last month but think that was more from inadvertently linking offline maps through bluetooth in the rental car so directions were about a minute too late.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Don't know but my Huawei just updated itself and shit it self... Did a reinstall and lost everything so I'm now Billy no mates..
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

That’s an advantage with Apple.
We have our phones and iPads linked so contacts, bookmarks, apps etc appear on all four.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

The way my mind works is, you’re doing a monumental and expensive trip, why not just bite the bullet and buy (or borrow) a satnav? There’s a significant chance that it’s not going to “fook up” and spoil your trip and it leaves your phone available for what its designed for.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

SHarper wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:17 pm The way my mind works is, you’re doing a monumental and expensive trip, why not just bite the bullet and buy (or borrow) a satnav? There’s a significant chance that it’s not going to “fook up” and spoil your trip and it leaves your phone available for what its designed for.
I’m working on that idea myself as I had problems with Google Maps on my phone in Canada last month. By inadvertently linking it to the car’s bluetooth, I have read that could be the reason for the voice commends all to be about a minute late.
Roaming charges on the phone can be prohibitive in the wrong countries and offline mapping is not that great as you lose out on traffic advice.

Tomtom do one with world maps but not sure how suitable for bike use unless in a waterproof holder but I guess you would do that for the phone anyway. Garmin maps for non European countries are quite pricey...around £100 each-ish for South Africa or New Zealand. Pricey if they are going to be one off trips but maybe not in the overall scheme of the trip, as you rightly say.

We’ve managed to get a good hire price of £60 with the SA car rental company so have gone with that.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
flamair

Post by flamair »

DavidS wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 am That’s an advantage with Apple.
We have our phones and iPads linked so contacts, bookmarks, apps etc appear on all four.
It works the same with Google and Android too, not only Apple.

It'll be a software glitch with the Huwawei phones.

Incidentally, Apple phones are made in China just like Huawei...
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

I like lots of folk use goggle and Google maps for finding campsites, hotels etc and also fo looking on street view at them twisty mountain roads the map shows..

It's been behaving since return to UK... So must be a Europe thing as ee says its not their end... But then it never is lol..

Return to “TRAVEL”