bikehike.co.uk died?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bikenav

bikehike.co.uk died?

Post by bikenav »

my usual internet based route planner bikehike.co.uk seems to have died, gone the same way as another old favourite of mine GPX Editor. Dam did like them too saved having to find the montana and wire it up to basecamp and all that, to knock up a quick route/track. Anyone using any other free OS based route/track planners?
simonw

Re: bikehike.co.uk died?

Post by simonw »

www,myrouteapp.com has a free and paid version. The major difference between the two is that the paid version offers the choice of additional mapping providers (Google, Michelin etc.). You can upload routes, create new ones and download them in a variety of formats (including GPX). Worth a look.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Viewranger is my go to, very user friendly. 8-)
simonw

Post by simonw »

Magic Map also provides OS mapping (without the need for an OS subscription), so useful for green lane research (though not a route planner): https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

bikenav wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:52 pm my usual internet based route planner bikehike.co.uk seems to have died, gone the same way as another old favourite of mine GPX Editor. Dam did like them too saved having to find the montana and wire it up to basecamp and all that, to knock up a quick route/track. Anyone using any other free OS based route/track planners?
GPXeditor is still available and fine
http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/map
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Fried Egg Sandwich wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 am
bikenav wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:52 pm my usual internet based route planner bikehike.co.uk seems to have died, gone the same way as another old favourite of mine GPX Editor. Dam did like them too saved having to find the montana and wire it up to basecamp and all that, to knock up a quick route/track. Anyone using any other free OS based route/track planners?
GPXeditor is still available and fine
http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/map
Thanks Egg thats interesting ,When I try to open it my computer really stalls badly and I get an error telling me its trying to open something else been having that for at least 15 months my computer sounds like its working real hard to open it and then to close it so stopped trying. Any ideas? As I said it did fit my requirement well, creating tracks mainly, on the OS map. Thank you to the other responders but it is specifically OS maps that I want and be able to save/name them in my files/GPS. . Have dabbled a little with viewranger in the past but As I am Welsh I really like the idea of not paying unless absolutely necessary :)
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Thanks Egg for the clue it seems Firefox does'nt like GPX Editor but its opening fine in Chrome so a result there but bikehike still seems to have problems in both, thanks all.

Return to “TRAVEL”