Planning for next year

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
oldsadgit

Re: Planning for next year

Post by oldsadgit »

Been with our lass down as far as to northern Italy,Just plan steady routes on back roads 200 mile max to start with. I live quite local to ya, I can meet up.ride to give ya some advice.Switzerand is expensive.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Three of us rode up through Switzerland last year from the French border up to the border with Germany - stayed off the motorways and brewed up and cooked our food at the side of the road on the way up - just followed a non motorway route on the satnav. We had no vignette,hence staying off the motorway.
dazcoates

Post by dazcoates »

Thanks for that, the plan has changed a little in that we will be staying in austria now and border hopping.
Just bought a small compact stove to enable brews etc . Should keep cost down , plus working more overtime for the holiday pot :D
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

Make sure she's comfortable and secure.
Boots comfortably on pegs without legs hitting luggage.
No sharp edges on topbox/luggage to press into you when you're leaning against it for a couple of hours.
Regular breaks on her schedule, not yours, so she's not just a passenger being dragged along like the luggage.
Be ready to replan / change itinerary if circumstances (or interests) change.
Don't spend every day racing up and down alpine passes, get a bit boring as a passenger eventually.
:D
flamair

Post by flamair »

Avoid Switzerland. Too expensive, folk there vary from ok ish to downright rude. Driving standards are poor, unless you count sticking to the speed limit ridgidly. Theuy also will take it upon themselves to try and 'educate' you if they don't like how you're driving.

It's a lovely place scenery wise but, there are many places which fall into that category in Europe that are far cheaper and have far nicer folk to talk to.

Just my experience of the place, though I have been about half a dozen times over the years. It's low on my radar these days though.
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

paul_tim2000 wrote:Make sure she's comfortable and secure.
Boots comfortably on pegs without legs hitting luggage.
No sharp edges on topbox/luggage to press into you when you're leaning against it for a couple of hours.
Regular breaks on her schedule, not yours, so she's not just a passenger being dragged along like the luggage.
Be ready to replan / change itinerary if circumstances (or interests) change.
Don't spend every day racing up and down alpine passes, get a bit boring as a passenger eventually.
:D
Very good advice
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
flamair

Post by flamair »

Regarding pillion.

I'd say a max of 180-200 miles per day. On some days include stops at interesting places such as Chateaux or pretty towns etc. On these days I'd cut the mileage back to 130-150 miles if you're riding scenic roads allowing you time to explore and enjoy a longer lunch etc.

Biggest tip would be: Don't plan to go as far as you think you have time for. Reduce the distance by 20% or plan a route that allows a 'short cut'. That way if t'other half gets restless you can easily adjust the distance etc. to avoid the adult version of 'are we nearly there yet?'
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

My wife has sat behind me for something like 50k miles over the years and has even written a book about it:

I agree with others comments about Switzerland. I used to spend some time there for work on expenses which was fine but visiting on the bike is the fast route to bankruptcy! However, it is a great ride around the east end of lake Geneva and back into France via Martigny and Chamonix.
David-1995

Post by David-1995 »

Hi

Couple of Tips from me

1.0 Check your route, we have been to Switzerland a fair few times, sometimes you can't get from one point to another without going on their motorways, and with a UK number plate you will stand out, you can buy the TAX disc here on line, delivered to home so you are not chasing around for it

2.0 Build-up mileage so try to go out for a few hundred miles every weekend in the months leading up to the trip, good for you and her

3.0 You will have to take various documents, insurance, Driving Licence etc., I photo copy all of these and e-mail them to myself and a friend so should they get lost/stolen you have a copy

4.0 We use an Interphone Tour as a coms kit, will last up to 2.5 days used all day, but i am sure there are loads of others to use, anyway certainly ours and I am sure with others you can buy custom ear plugs with built in speakers to plug into the tour, my Mrs uses these, i just have normal speakers but she says they make a huge difference especially at Motorways speeds

5.0 Switzerland has always been expensive but with the current exchange rate its very expensive, i bought a small bottle of water in the services this year and it was about £4.80 you just feel like you are being ripped off, we bought 2 coffees, 2 cakes and the water and it came close to £30, we try and carry water on the bike bought from Supermarkets

6.0 We use Myroute App to plan our trips, or whatever you like, but planning the route between each days makes sure you have comfortable mileages, and don't forget it can be the riding time rather than the actual mileage especially in the Alps, 150 miles might be an all-day ride, with stops for pictures and coffee. Also if you plan the ride you can find some of the smaller passes which can be less busy and actually prettier, but some of the small passes can be difficult to find, so by planning before you leave you already have it in the Satnav. If it’s raining that day you don't have to do it.

Anyway I am sure that's enough from me

Enjoy

David
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

David-1995 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:32 am
1.0 Check your route, we have been to Switzerland a fair few times, sometimes you can't get from one point to another without going on their motorways, and with a UK number plate you will stand out, you can buy the TAX disc here on line, delivered to home so you are not chasing around for it
The last time I was there the border officials were very insistent that I buy the vignette because, as you say, it can be hard to travel from A to B in some places without using the motorway. At the end of the day it’s not that expensive compared to other prices in Switzerland.

Return to “TRAVEL”