Only in France: From the BBC

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Richard Simpson Mark II

Only in France: From the BBC

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

A French company has been found liable for the death of an employee who had a cardiac arrest while having sex with a stranger on a business trip.

A Paris court ruled that his death was an industrial accident and that the family was entitled to compensation.

The firm had argued the man was not carrying out professional duties when he joined a guest in her hotel room.

But under French law an employer is responsible for any accident occurring during a business trip, judges said.

The man, named as Xavier X, was working as an engineer for TSO, a railway services company based near Paris.

He died at a hotel during a trip to central France in 2013, as a result of what the employer called "an extramarital relationship with a perfect stranger".

The company challenged a decision by the state health insurance provider to regard the death as a workplace accident.

The provider defended its position by insisting that sexual activity was normal, "just like as taking a shower or a meal".

In its ruling, the Paris appeals court upheld this view.

An employee on a business trip is entitled to social protection "over the whole time of his mission" and regardless of the circumstances, it said.
Andi_Archer

Re: Only in France: From the BBC

Post by Andi_Archer »

Very strange court ruling :lol:
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

May sound like a bit of a broad generalisation but this sort of crap (and other employee protection legislation) will eventually bring the French economy to it’s knees.

The gilets jaunes was essentially about protecting/maintaining employees rights which basically makes your ‘patron’ responsible for everything that happens to you whilst you work for him. Even the Japanese and Koreans have moved on in terms of their control and responsibilities towards their employees but I hate to think what would happen if a TGV crashed killing all passengers because the driver was too distracted having sex.
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

Magnon wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:25 pm but I hate to think what would happen if a TGV crashed killing all passengers because the driver was too distracted having sex.
So, THAT'S what they mean by 'pulling a train'... ;)
flamair

Post by flamair »

As the thread says, only the French....

A ridiculous country in many ways.

I still love the place though! :D
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

[quote=

The provider defended its position by insisting that sexual activity was normal, "just like as taking a shower or a meal".

[/quote]

I wish!

If I ate and showered at the same frequency as having sex, I’d be a stinking skeleton!

Return to “TRAVEL”