Alps advise

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Shaggy

Alps advise

Post by Shaggy »

Hi all.
Just planning my next trip and was wondering if you could share you're thoughts

I'm going to be travelling from the UK to baden baden, the b500 and picking up the nufenen pass then riding as many of the alpine passes as possible until I get over the stelvio pass before heading back up through Austria, Germany and back to the UK.

My question is which way is best to do the alpine passes ?
Anti clockwise, South on the b500 and West to east from nufenen pass to stelvio or
Clockwise Through Austria first and east to west from stelvio pass to nufenen pass and
north on the b500?

What is everyone's thoughts.
Thanks John
Monkey Rum

Re: Alps advise

Post by Monkey Rum »

We will be doing this route in a few weeks time, it takes about 6 days in total

From the 500 down through Switzerland taking in the Klausen, Susten and Grimsel passes.
Then back up for the Silvrettastraße and across into Austria through Innsbruck to take in the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.
Then back across for the Stelvio, Umbtail, Albula and San Bernardino passes
You are now near monte blanc and a straight ride home

There are a lot of great roads that link all these together and sometimes you have to take the smaller, single track, roads to get the best route and stay off the highways
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

North side ramp of the Stelvio is hairpin after hairpin, south ramp is much more flowing, so do you love hairpins going up or down the most?
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

Agree with that but I think Stelvio runs east to west. The hairpins are on the east side. For me I’d want to ride up the hairpins so would come from Timmeljoch
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

tempesc wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 pm Agree with that but I think Stelvio runs east to west. The hairpins are on the east side. For me I’d want to ride up the hairpins so would come from Timmeljoch
My directions were where you're coming from, so north side is coming from the north ie Timmlesjoch etc,

BTW there's hundreds, if not thousands on videos on YouTube showing its delights. And a webcam here f seeing what the weather is currently like: http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php
RandG

Post by RandG »

Monkey Rum wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am Austria through Innsbruck to take in the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.

If you're going via Innsbruck, it's the Timelsejoch pass that is nearer, it's a bit of a hike to the Grosslockner,

For the OP, when are you going ? I arrived home today from the very area, did all the passes around that area, yet the day after we headed up in to Germany, all the passes were closed due to snow, the Stelvio is still closed, however I believe the weather is improving in a few days.

For information, the West ramp to Bormio is currently closed due to rock fall so you would need to approach the Stelvio via the east ramp then down into Switzerland via the Umbrial
Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Sounds like you are planning a similar ride.
Could you share your route with me please. I'd be keen to see..

Thanks John
Monkey Rum wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am We will be doing this route in a few weeks time, it takes about 6 days in total

From the 500 down through Switzerland taking in the Klausen, Susten and Grimsel passes.
Then back up for the Silvrettastraße and across into Austria through Innsbruck to take in the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.

There are a lot of great roads that link all these together and sometimes you have to take the smaller, single track, roads to get the best route and stay off the highways
Monkey Rum

Post by Monkey Rum »

Shaggy wrote:Sounds like you are planning a similar ride.
Could you share your route with me please. I'd be keen to see..

Thanks John
Monkey Rum wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am We will be doing this route in a few weeks time, it takes about 6 days in total

You have PM
Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Thanks for the route.
I normally use Google and download offline maps when in the UK.
Does this work well for this kind of trip.

Thanks
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Yep, can confirm snow on the alp passes, and it's fecking cold. Looking better tomoz.

Return to “TRAVEL”