Cameras in France

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Cameras in France

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Back last Wednesday from my second visit there this year.

The simply love 'le moto' in every sense of the word and even better will always look out for you. Don't park in car spaces marked 'payant' and don't block car spaces....but they will always find you a space on a foot path or somewhere as long as you don't block the footpath.

Back again in November. How? I live 4 miles from the local ferry port to Roscoff and Santander.

I can do Bordeaux to Roscoff in 7 hours including fuel stops........in UK on motorway the equivalent distance best average this year was a miserable 40mph. The N and D roads in France are really nice and generally pleasant to ride on, some are amazingly scenic.

For quick A to B the autoroute is by far the best.

So far since 2001 no issues with cameras
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
flamair

Post by flamair »

Recently returned from France. We were caught near Calais port. Myself and a friend were caught by the same mobile camera at exactly the same time. Different speeds but we were both over the limit by only a few KPH. However, the tickets both said different threshold speeds and the camera hadn't been calibrated for almost 3 months! All our navs said the limit was 90kph but the ticket said it was 70kph. :?: None of us saw any signs saying 70kph so had we not been travelling slowly as we were about to exit the motorway we may have had a steeper fine. We all paid, but I definitely feel that in this instance we were seriously done over!

This is obviously just a money spinner for the French and frankly I'm not impressed. It was only 49 euros... But shouldn't have been anything. We all paid as I said, (three of us in total we done two at the same time literally and the third one minute late). But, it has made me question the French attitude to speeding and the fact that they have set out on a course that will inevitable damage their tourist economy. I have no issue with them fining people for taking the piss, but a couple of KPH over is ridiculous and clearly a money making racket.

The coda to this is a happy one however. Our route earlier in the week included some very fine and completely deserted C and D roads on which we had a play to the tune of 100mph a few times. :lol:

In essence I will still tour in France as I love the countryside and quiet road. But I am starting to question at what point I will decide biking is no longer fun owing to the Orwellian effect of modern society. I think I'll then retire to boating instead.. :idea:
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

We got nicked in France in September :( .
92kmph
60 euro fine :( .

Most unpleasant end to the trip... :o :cry:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Tony got nicked too earlier this year.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

redbikejohn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:21 pm Tony got nicked too earlier this year.
What's he riding these days?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Are these bust's mainly from fixed cameras? Had a couple of close shaves, but the Zumo warned me in time, and yes, I know about the bizarre "No Camera alert" attitude... :? All adds weight to teh argument they are cash cows!

Never seen many mobile or Cop with a Camera type speed checks, but I haven't been over there for 3 years
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Are these bust's mainly from fixed cameras? Had a couple of close shaves, but the Zumo warned me in time, and yes, I know about the bizarre "No Camera alert" attitude... :? All adds weight to teh argument they are cash cows!

Never seen many mobile or Cop with a Camera type speed checks, but I haven't been over there for 3 years
Cone

Post by Cone »

You never see the cops in france. I once past one in the prone position in the central reservation of the dual carriageway I was on.

Blooming gendarmes lol :lol:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Cone wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:09 pm You never see the cops in france. I once past one in the prone position in the central reservation of the dual carriageway I was on.

Blooming gendarmes lol :lol:
Probably pretending to be a mole....

I've seen a few over the years, remember seeing about 10-12 one time 2 vehicles on each exit of a Roundabout in Normandy, I assumed they were not after me...

Had a fright one time trundling down to Spain with Bimbler, I was in front and inevitably, the speed had crept up a bit... We all went through a speed trap at about 100kph and then kept on going. About 3km further on, we were caught up by 2 fast moving cars, but happily, they were after a local boy racer who had come past us just after the speed trap going like the proverbial.... We saw them all a few km further up, having a chat! Copper grinned and waved a slow down with his hands but no stop! I eased off a bit after that ;)
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Scott_rider wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:32 pm
redbikejohn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:21 pm Tony got nicked too earlier this year.
What's he riding these days?
KTM 950/990 superduke thingy. Sold the dirt bike.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

Return to “TRAVEL”