Cameras in France

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Cameras in France

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Cone wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:09 pm You never see the cops in france. I once past one in the prone position in the central reservation of the dual carriageway I was on.

Blooming gendarmes lol :lol:
Last year, on a slip road to a roundabout, just outside of Le mans as I passed 50 Km/H sign, a GenDAME (rather pretty actually) popped up from behind the chevron signs and pointed a speed gun at me. I put my hands up as if to say don't shoot and gave her a big grin. All she did was burst out laughing and wave me past. Not sure what the outcome would have been I had been speeding though....actually thought about going round again to get caught and have a chat, but as she was about half my age, the "chat" probably wouldn't have gone down that well. :lol:

Anyway, the point being they are absolutely mad and hide in all sorts of places, make our lot look like amateurs.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I didn't really want to exhume this old thread, but thought you might want to see the latest miniature radar cameras being used in France. It's getting even worse.

https://www.facebook.com/10000069327913 ... 928864521/

Don't worry if you can't understand the voice-over, but it's worth taking note that even the small 80kmh speed signs are now being fitted with these very hard-to-see radars.

A trip on an average N-road is now becoming a right PITA - setting and re-setting cruise control with eyes down on the speedo rather than the road. A lot of people are getting tickets not because they go out intending to speed, but just because they make a minor mistake re. the exact point at which they change speed. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, if you're riding over here this year, you have been warned...

Grande Frére vous regarde !
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I'm quite sure there are a few used tyres in france... :lol: :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

qcnr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:10 pm I'm quite sure there are a few used tyres in france... :lol: :lol:
Well we have two of the brand new big tall black cameras, one either end of our local village, Saint Bonnet De Bellac. One was burnt to a crisp just before Christmas and has not yet been replaced. The previous old style ones (low, grey box) were done over regularly. One day I drove by to see a couple of gendarmes cleaning off the lens which had been blacked over, and a large cock and balls had been sprayed on to the box - they were laughing about it. :D
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Least the French don't have variable speed cameras in road works.... I'm taking a dodgy number plate next time...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:34 pm I didn't really want to exhume this old thread, but thought you might want to see the latest miniature radar cameras being used in France. It's getting even worse.

https://www.facebook.com/10000069327913 ... 928864521/

Don't worry if you can't understand the voice-over, but it's worth taking note that even the small 80kmh speed signs are now being fitted with these very hard-to-see radars.

A trip on an average N-road is now becoming a right PITA - setting and re-setting cruise control with eyes down on the speedo rather than the road. A lot of people are getting tickets not because they go out intending to speed, but just because they make a minor mistake re. the exact point at which they change speed. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, if you're riding over here this year, you have been warned...

Grande Frére vous regarde !
Ahem.....

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/ar ... 55770.html

https://www.radars-auto.com/faux-radar/ ... miniature/

https://www.liberation.fr/checknews/201 ... ok_1665189
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nice one UKJeeper. Looks like I really fell for a hoax then. Well spotted.

It's not even Poisson D'Avril for a few weeks yet....

The problem is that the crackdown on speed in France makes this fake next step very believable. Well, for a mug like me at least. :lol:
onefortheroad

Post by onefortheroad »

Spent 30 plus years crossing France, in assorted vehicles and just received my first (of 2) tickets - for exceeding 130 klm ph. Somewhere either side of Rennes,early in the morning (01.14 hrs + 02.10 hrs) Cold and tired,I wasn't very attentive. This cost 136 euros. I'm OK with that - I got home and there's no endorsements on my UK licence . In mitigation,I was riding an HD Ultra Glide,so the speedo isn't easy to read.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Personally I am getting cheesed off with the way motorist are being used as a cash cow and at what point will the oppression start to effect tourist numbers with people avoiding the region?.

It is becoming more a game of luck over judgement regarding if you get a Penalty notice in the post. I am planning a few summer tours in 2020 and honestly if they are taking piss as I have been reading I will simply bypass the whole country, splashing out hundreds of euros in a unjustified manner is not acceptable to me, and no doubt like Switzerland that got a fair bit of negative press from 44 Teeth with a absurd fine of thousands of pounds why bother even taking the risk going there as a tourist for a driving holiday?.

No doubt mentioned somewhere but what is the general consensus regarding the one way street of enforcement that the UK government has allowed regarding European countries obtaining driver details from the DVLA post Brexit?.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

HoboBeemer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:52 am Personally I am getting cheesed off with the way motorist are being used as a cash cow and at what point will the oppression start to effect tourist numbers with people avoiding the region?.

It is becoming more a game of luck over judgement regarding if you get a Penalty notice in the post. I am planning a few summer tours in 2020 and honestly if they are taking piss as I have been reading I will simply bypass the whole country, splashing out hundreds of euros in a unjustified manner is not acceptable to me, and no doubt like Switzerland that got a fair bit of negative press from 44 Teeth with a absurd fine of thousands of pounds why bother even taking the risk going there as a tourist for a driving holiday?.

No doubt mentioned somewhere but what is the general consensus regarding the one way street of enforcement that the UK government has allowed regarding European countries obtaining driver details from the DVLA post Brexit?.
Well the UK was the first european country to do a wholesale national roll out of speed cameras, and the others are now learning what a good source of revenue it can be.

Personally my problem with them is the placement. I can understand a camera either side of a school pedestrian crossing. Makes sense. But out in the countryside, away from habitation or any particular danger area, is unacceptable - and almost bound to create the kind of backlash we are seeing (burnouts etc). None of them are able to use discretion like a traffic cop might, or catch people doing stupid overtakes etc - which are often more likely to cause an accident than just speeding per se.

It shouldn't stop you visiting France, in just the same way as the massive number of cameras in the UK is no reason to boycott britain. But on a bike, you just have to plan your tour a bit better, take more time over it so that you can avoid A-routes and N-roads, and concentrate on riding all those lovely twisty mountain passes and river valley D-roads that are such a pleasure in France, and which generally have far fewer cameras.

Or just get one of those flip-up number plates.... :twisted:

Return to “TRAVEL”